Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2015 6:28:58 AM EDT
I promised myself that I wouldn't ever post a "should I go to a hospital" thread because I figured that if I had to ask, I already knew the answer.

So this is not a "should I go to the hospital" thread, but more of a "holy fuck, what the hell is wrong with me" thread.  

I went to bed at midnight feeling about average with little pain.  I just woke up 4 hours later in a great amount of discomfort coming from my upper back / upper stomach area (if that makes any sense) with anywhere from a medium to strong urge to vomit (although I haven't yet.)

I have a long history of "minor" back pain (I've never been diagnosed with anything to do with my back other than being told to "lose some weight"), but nothing ever this bad, and never from my upper back.

I took 4 Aleeve when I got up and put my tens machine on and the discomfort is now reduced.  Instead of an 8.5 / 10, I'm at a 5 / 10 right now.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Too much Aleve (3 max). Stack some Tylenol with it (compatible, no aspirin or ibuprofen), it helps enough it made my wife a believer.
Quoted:
I promised myself that I wouldn't ever post a "should I go to a hospital" thread because I figured that if I had to ask, I already knew the answer.

So this is not a "should I go to the hospital" thread, but more of a "holy fuck, what the hell is wrong with me" thread.  

I went to bed at midnight feeling about average with little pain.  I just woke up 4 hours later in a great amount of discomfort coming from my upper back / upper stomach area (if that makes any sense) with anywhere from a medium to strong urge to vomit (although I haven't yet.)

I have a long history of "minor" back pain (I've never been diagnosed with anything to do with my back other than being told to "lose some weight"), but nothing ever this bad, and never from my upper back.

I took 4 Aleeve when I got up and put my tens machine on and the discomfort is now reduced.  Instead of an 8.5 / 10, I'm at a 5 / 10 right now.    
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Sounds like The Grays may have gotten a little over-enthusiastic.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote
Dibs. Take an asprin and go see the Doc. Seriously.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Possibilities.
1. Muscle pain. Needs regular exercise.
2. Acid reflux. No more Mexican, evening snacks.

Need more info for diagnosis.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

in America, we call that "equivocation."  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Possibilities.

View Quote

3. Old
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Possibilities.

View Quote

I do not exercise regularly, but I do have a job that gets me up and walking/stairs/outside.  

I can't see it being acid reflux either.  I get it occasionally, but NOTHING like the pain I was in.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Hurting that bad ,stomach upper back ,plus feel like throwing up I would get to an amergency room and check that out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Equivowhat?  

e·quiv·o·cate

?'kwiv??kat/

verb

gerund or present participle: equivocating

use ambiguous language so as to conceal the truth or avoid committing oneself.

""Not that we are aware of,” she equivocated"

prevaricate, be evasive, be noncommittal, be vague, be ambiguous, dodge the question, beat around the bush, hedge; More

synonyms:

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
3. Old
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Possibilities.

3. Old

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Equivowhat?  

e·quiv·o·cate
?'kwiv??kat/
verb
[td]
synonyms:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Equivowhat?  

e·quiv·o·cate
?'kwiv??kat/
verb
[td]
synonyms:

Yep.  Fits perfectly.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Upper back and upper stomach areas are on opposite sides of the body.  Which one is it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possibilities.

3. Old

Hmm, disregard
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Just gas.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Did you sleep on a bag of milk?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Upper back and upper stomach areas are on opposite sides of the body.  Which one is it?

View Quote

It's more my back than my stomach, but both were definitely conspiring against me.  

Actually, this last 1/2 hour has been fine.  Nearly no stomach pain and greatly reduced back / ribcage pain.  

I was a little bit worried there for awhile.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#17]
My first thought is heart attack.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine experienced the same thing 2 weeks ago.  His funeral was last Saturday.  Ended up being a massive heart attack.  

Please go see a doctor.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#19]
It's probably your gallbladder.  Go to the hospital now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Double Tap.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]
That's what you get when you boil guns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Dibs on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Upper back pain, especially between the shoulder blades, and nausea ( wanting to throw up) are classic symptoms of a heart attack.

go to the ER, stat.

ETA. and then you talk about rib cage pain, ie chest pain.

wondering if you are still around.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I had pancreatitis a few years ago it was caused by taking too much Aleeve.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Upper back pain, especially between the shoulder blades, and nausea ( wanting to throw up) are classic symptoms of a heart attack.

go to the ER, stat.

View Quote

His name was targettarget. Can we get this moved to The Memorial forum?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's more my back than my stomach, but both were definitely conspiring against me.  

Actually, this last 1/2 hour has been fine.  Nearly no stomach pain and greatly reduced back / ribcage pain.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be referred pain from the gallbladder.   It usually comes on as attacks.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should take a CPR class
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#28]
What are you doing taking 4 Alleve?

Are these Alleve D? Specifically the "D"?

Either way.....how much water do you drink? Not coffee, or alcohol, but regular water?
I'm guessing also you are dehydrated...just a hunch.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Aside from that, what's your diet, be specific. Are you loaded on sodas, iced tea? Tell us.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Go see a doc....

See "referred" pain in the back
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Go the the ER now man; those could be heart attack symptoms.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Hope it's nothing TT, but those symptoms would have me thinking I'm leaving Lamont alone in this world and would be seeing Elizabeth again real soon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Does it hurt to breathe?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possibilities.

3. Old

That's the age I had my heart attach. Mine was due to too many platelets. Otherwise very health.

The urge to vomit is the trigger word for me..... Hope you are reading this in the ER>
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Gallbladder.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

100%

Go to the ED at 3 in the morning with sudden upper back pain and you'll get more attention than you've (hopefully) ever gotten from a doctor in your life.

Source: been there, done that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Look up dissecting aortic aneurysm.

Then go to the doctor

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Aortic aneurism, partially collapsed lung, or AIDS.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Eat an aspirin, and go see a doc, yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Okay I just woke up from sleeping on the couch.  

I took those Aleeve, stretched for 20 minutes, put on the tens machine and layed down.  

Now I'm awake and the heart is still working, as far as I know, and I feel fantastic.

No word of a lie.  I'm like a 9.5/10 right now.  Edit: I'm 9.5/10 on the "feel good" scale, not pain scale.

Should I still go to the ER?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Possible Heart attack...get it checked out...only way to really know is go to ER and have them run labs.
Hopefully it's just pain but it could be bad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I took those Aleeve, stretched for 20 minutes, put on the tens machine and layed down.  

Now I'm awake and the heart is still working, as far as I know, and I feel fantastic.

No word of a lie.  I'm like a 9.5/10 right now.  Edit: I'm 9.5/10 on the "feel good" scale, not pain scale.

View Quote

9.5/10 means you're writhing on the floor in agony. (pre-edit)

If you have a cardiologist you should see him. If you've never been tested you would have a baseline.

Any history of heart problems in the targettarget clan?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

cause it was gas.

them chalky gas pills work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

I would.

Just make sure you turn the glock down to a slow simmer before leaving the house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I do not exercise regularly, but I do have a job that gets me up and walking/stairs/outside.  

I can't see it being acid reflux either.  I get it occasionally, but NOTHING like the pain I was in.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possibilities.

Do not rule out acid reflux. I never ever ever have it but lately I have been having an issue with it apparently, must be during sleep.
one day i got extreme back pain after dinner. like i sat in the same position too long kind of thing. I tried to move and stretch but it just got increasingly worse.
it eventually moved around near my diaphram. It hurt worse than anything else in my life. I was literally in the floor balled up. I tried to "man" through it but
after an hour I couldnt handly any more and to the ER i went. Morphine finally got it bearable. it came back the other day and I hadnt even eaten breakfast yet. On a whim I took a pepsid ac and it helped. Give it a try.
ps ill be 34 in may.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

go to the ER, stat.

View Quote

Sorry I'm being confusing about this.  I'm obviously not a very good patient.

The pain felt like it was 85% my upper back, 10% ribcage, 5% stomach.  I'm sure that makes zero sense to you, but that's what it felt like.

I have a history of lower and middle back pan, as well as neck pain.

I see a chiropractor every week or so and he straightens me out and it helps, but I'm at a point where I'm just maintaining where I am and not really getting any better.

The first time I saw a chiropractor I was mid-20's, and I went in because I could barely walk / sleep.  The pain I was in tonight felt like that level of pain, just in a different part of my back.  

My chiropractor adjusts my ribcage because it's always "out.", and these ribs that keep moving (or whatever the technical term is) is a big part of my problem - that's why I said I thought maybe it could be a ribcage issue, except the pain was 5x worse than it normally is.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Did you have much in the way of fatty foods within two to three hours of the time that you went to bed? My vote is for gall bladder attack. See if you can get the M.D. to refer you for an ultrasound to check for gall stones.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Aside from that, what's your diet, be specific. Are you loaded on sodas, iced tea? Tell us.
View Quote

I drink both, but not in what I would consider "excess."

I go out of my way to drink water.  I have at least 3 huge glasses of it throughout the day.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Does it hurt to breathe?
View Quote

No.  Not at all.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#50]
It's possible that you strained your back checking all of the maple spiles and syrup buckets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top