Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 5:19:36 AM EDT
Local company charges $70 per application.  Just wondering if this is something I can do myself - that will 100% take care of the ants/bugs etc trying to get into my house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]

I hear that Ammonia + Bleach works.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Local company charges $70 per application.  Just wondering if this is something I can do myself - that will 100% take care of the ants/bugs etc trying to get into my house.
View Quote

Bayer bug spray at Lowe's in blue gallon jug, buy a gallon pump sprayer and a mask also.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I just took out a colony of ants that tried to take over my kitchen with baking soda and powdered sugar, worked great. Mix equal parts baking soda and powdered (confectioners) not granular sugar and put a few piles where they pass by. The little bastards cannot separated the soda from the sugar and take it back to the colony and queen, they cannot burp or fart and the soda reacts with acid in their bodies causing them to explode. It takes a few days but works great and won't hurt pets or crumb crunchers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.  Kills the fuck out of anything that breathes air, and then some.

Seriously, OP should look for a different angle to save money.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bayer bug spray at Lowe's in blue gallon jug, buy a gallon pump sprayer and a mask also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will look into this.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just took out a colony of ants that tried to take over my kitchen with baking soda and powdered sugar, worked great. Mix equal parts baking soda and powdered (confectioners) not granular sugar and put a few piles where they pass by. The little bastards cannot separated the soda from the sugar and take it back to the colony and queen, they cannot burp or fart and the soda reacts with acid in their bodies causing them to explode. It takes a few days but works great and won't hurt pets or crumb crunchers.
View Quote

Will definitely do this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked for me for years,  I suggest also spraying outside of entrance ways and windows along flower beds also. Shit is rough if you breathe it in so make sure you buy some sort of mask. It does come with its own sprays but it sucks, buy a cheap one at Lowe's for $10.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to the feed store and get a pump up hand sprayer and some Demon.
You're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deployed.  Will report back in a few days.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're welcome.
View Quote

Got a 2 gal pump sprayer - will look into Demon as well.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're welcome.
View Quote

This ^^^^^^^

Unless you are looking to control just the namby pambys, Demon is what you seek. I bought a canister of Demon WP (wettable powder) some years ago, and have used it for the voodoo ring ever since. Inside the perimeter I only find carcases.

Demon
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
that will 100% take care of the ants/bugs etc trying to get into my house.
View Quote

100%?...lol... no.

anykind of "home brew" stuff is about 99% old wives tales. i've seen people mix salt and sugar together and pour it all over their kitchen to "get rid of sugar ants" because "someone told them it killed them"...

killing an insect, any insect is relatively easy; a foot, hand, newspaper, even soapy water will kill any insect.  the hard part begins when you want to keep everything out of the house with minimum amount of work.

in my state just about everything available to us on the commercial side is also available for private individuals to purchase, i dont know about your state but thats where you want to start.  use the stuff that the professionals use, there is a reason they are professionals and there is a reason they use it.  i cant tell you what to buy because you are in a completely different area of the country than i am and i dont know what insects you deal with or what is even allowed by your state, but i can help you with a starting point.

for an outside spray you need something with a long lasting residual so stay away from any kind of pyrethroid or any FIFRA 25b product.  look for something with the active ingredient bifenthrin or fipronil; those are the two most used down here.  make sure to follow the label!!!!  do not think that "doubling up" will "do better" , in a lot of cases and can "do worse"
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asking for homemade poison recipes on the internet might turn out badly? Who would have thought?!?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#15]
My old man got clever and mixed up an entire outdoor oil tank of Chlordane and kerosene, spread gallons of it all around the foundation of the house.  Thought maybe this wasn't such a good idea later when my mother developed a brain tumor which eventually killed her.

So sure, just whip up anything that sounds likely and spread it all over everything - what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I use Tempo by Bayer®. It was recommended to me by a few farmers. Also, Demon is supposed to be good, but if used inside will leave a milky film on things.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use Tempo by Bayer®. It was recommended to me by a few farmers. Also, Demon is supposed to be good, but if used inside will leave a milky film on things.
View Quote

Demon mixes up milky, but I really haven't had the experience that it leaves a film. OP should probably test it first just in case.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm buying generic 96oz containers of bifenthrin for less than $30. If I buy the name brand, Talstar P, it's $30/qt.

With neonic use on the downward slide, you can probably pickup something with Imidacloprid pretty cheap. I've probably got enough Imidacloprid based pesticide to treat 100 acres that I'm going to spray in the yard of my new house.

The only homemade stuff we use is for contact kill.

14oz extra virgin olive oil, 7oz ivory dishwashing soap, 30 gallons of water
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Talstar P or for outside only, Termidor SC found at and gtg.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/?gclid=CLDe18nAlsECFdCCfgod0RIAeQ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top