Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2015 5:05:08 PM EDT

A key component of the Apple Watch made by one of two suppliers was found to be defective, prompting Apple Inc. to limit the availability of the highly anticipated new product, according to people familiar with the matter.

The part involved is the so-called taptic engine, designed by Apple AAPL, -1.47%   to produce the sensation of being tapped on the wrist. After mass production began in February, reliability testing revealed that some taptic engines supplied by AAC Technologies Holdings Inc., of Shenzhen, China, started to break down over time, the people familiar with the matter said. One of those people said Apple scrapped some completed watches as a result.

Taptic engines produced by a second supplier, Japan’s Nidec Corp., didn’t experience the same problem, the people said. Apple has moved nearly all of its production of the component to Nidec, these people said, but it may take time for Nidec to increase its production.
View Quote

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/faulty-taptic-engine-slows-apple-watch-roll-out-2015-04-29
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The Apple watch's heart rate monitor doesn't work on inkies.

http://time.com/3840383/apple-watch-tattoo-heart-rate-monitor/
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Cue hurr durr, the entire prospect sucks.

Check this out... Good article on the origins of the Apple watch. Click
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
and just like that, it's a flop..
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Using shit Chinese parts, and expect a good outcome?  No fucks given.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
lol, the Japanese-made part works fine but the Chinese, not so much.

Supplies!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Supplies!
View Quote

It's the slave labor Apple uses isn't as good as it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The  fields in which my fucks are sown.......
motherfuckin g barren

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have lots of Apples shit but I couldn't care less about their frakking watch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll stick with my Suunto Vector ... it's been taking abuse for 8 years now and, although scratched to hell, it works just fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Gimmick. This will be the company's biggest failure. Their stock will get slashed 25% after this fiasco
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Apple stuff just works.

Except when it doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The bad ones weren't put into watches being sold. Every manufacturer identifies problems during production, and works to fix them. Apple does it and its hrrr drrr Apple sucks...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish I had an apple orchard. Don't want their phone or watch, just a bunch of apple trees.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Haters gotta hate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait who actually had the expectation that it was going to work?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gimmick. This will be the company's biggest failure. Their stock will get slashed 25% after this fiasco
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]

[cough] Jail Break [/cough]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine shipped today, I get it tomorrow. We shall see if it's worth it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The bad ones weren't put into watches being sold. Every manufacturer identifies problems during production, and works to fix them. Apple does it and its hrrr drrr Apple sucks...
View Quote

Have you looked at its capabilities and reviews that it has received? It's a "meh" product to begin with. You could barely find one to buy to start with, now you have this. The newness etc. will be gone by time they produce enough of them or by time the average person can buy one. Its been a crappy product model from the start.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mine shipped today, I get it tomorrow. We shall see if it's worth it.
View Quote

It's irrelevant if it's worth it.
People who spend money on it will of course feel it's worth it. Otherwise, one may appear foolish to others.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Have you looked at its capabilities and reviews that it has received? It's a "meh" product to begin with. You could barely find one to buy to start with, now you have this. The newness etc. will be gone by time they produce enough of them or by time the average person can buy one. Its been a crappy product model from the start.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many people said the same thing about the first iphone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Inkies are defective.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
and just like that, it's a flop..
View Quote

LOL, I don't think so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats 'this'? They identified a flaw before the product was shipped that only affected some of the units that were delivered to be used in production. They weeded them out. How is that a bad thing? If they let the bad parts go out to customers then people would be saying they're selling crappy production units. They stop them before the go out, and thats bad, too?

They already sold more than all of Android Wear watches combined. If people are happy with them then so what?

I don't have one and do not plan on buying one anytime soon but I'll hold off judgement until they've been in people's hands for a while and they are improved. People are condemning an entire product based on a version 1.0 with 1.0 software. Both will be greatly improved in the next couple of years.

A lot of people with them on the sites I frequent seem to like the Apple Watch. I stopped listening to 'professional' product reviewers a while ago.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Many people are experiencing case separation from the watch face.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Whats 'this'? They identified a flaw before the product was shipped that only affected some of the units that were delivered to be used in production. They weeded them out. How is that a bad thing? If they let the bad parts go out to customers then people would be saying they're selling crappy production units. They stop them before the go out, and thats bad, too?

They already sold more than all of Android Wear watches combined. If people are happy with them then so what?

I don't have one and do not plan on buying one anytime soon but I'll hold off judgement until they've been in people's hands for a while and they are improved. People are condemning an entire product based on a version 1.0 with 1.0 software. Both will be greatly improved in the next couple of years.

A lot of people with them on the sites I frequent seem to like the Apple Watch. I stopped listening to 'professional' product reviewers a while ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well said
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Many people are experiencing case separation from the watch face.

http://youtu.be/XkxaYjVNxFc

View Quote

Cheap chinese crap sold for $600
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supplies!

Beat the slaves until productivity improves.

May need to add some more nets beneath the dorm windows over at FoxConn, sounds like a few hundred more employee suicides.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#32]
They are also prone to scratching. These scratches were made by a reviewer placing the Apple Watch next to a Moto 360. (The Moto 360 was uninjured.)

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Inkies don't have hearts.  Or is that souls?  I can never remember.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#34]
1. apple shit sucks.
2. apple watch sucks more than most apple ideas.
3. apple will sell a billion of these of anyway.

Sheeple of the word, unite!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They are also prone to scratching. These scratches were made by a reviewer placing the Apple Watch next to a Moto 360. (The Moto 360 was uninjured.)

http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE1LzA0LzI3LzE3L2FwcGxld2F0Y2hzLjg3MmIyLmpwZwpwCXRodW1iCTk1MHg1MzQjCmUJanBn/145ea597/d2e/apple-watch-stainless-steel-scratches.jpg

View Quote

What a massive failure
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I can see the utility of the idea, but at the same time.......I'm not so into the concept to pay what they are asking.  I'd like texts and such on my wrist (less "insulting" to see if something is important that way), but again.....cost>benefit (IMHO)
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are these the same people that would buy an iTurd if they made one? Its set back production/sales by at least a month(that's just what they saying, could be longer), plus the other issues that have been posted in this thread. Besides the fact that you still have to have your phone with you all the time use half the features(why would I get it if I still have to carry my phone every where?) and comparing it to a product that I(and guessing most) never knew existed isn't saying much.

It's a shitty idea/model and I bet it fails. They all can't be winners.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I've ordered one, I've always been a first generation gadget tester. I had the first iPhone. The first year Glock 17. The first personal computer, etc... People frothed at the mouth about all of them to me. Your plastic pistol won't last Yada, Yada. The guy who said that to me back then is dead and the G17 is still going. Early adoption is only for patient people with cash to burn.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Does it keep good time? If so the watch isn't defective. The mini computer might be but the watch works.
<Sent from my corner of the Apple Fan Boy thread defense team Tactical Operations Center.>
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Apple Watch Screen Problems - Owner Complaints

Same.  I have scratched the face of my Apple Watch Sport this morning somehow.  The scratch was not there when I put on the device 3 hours ago and now there is a scratch in the top right corner.
View Quote

Same with mine. Doesn't make any sense. It's driving me crazy just trying to understand what made the scratches.
View Quote

My Apple Watch Sport scratched in less than 12 hours of use, and I did NO damage to it.
View Quote

I have worn my Apple Sport Watch for all of 2 days.  By the end of Day 1, I already had several scratches on the face, including a deep one that goes diagonally across most of the face, right smack in the middle.  I have treated the watch with kid gloves, wearing it only during the day, and putting it in the case at night.
View Quote

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7015269

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I like it, but it is overpriced IMO...well at least most versions.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#43]
This is why I won't own something like this until the technology and build are more advanced.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is why I won't own something like this until the technology and build are more advanced.
View Quote

Waiting for the 2nd or 3rd generation as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#45]
How are they scratching the glass? Isn't it glass?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Still has the logo on it, right

Their target market won't even care if it works.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#47]
It's all good.

I hear they're making a big move into printers next.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It's all good.

View Quote

They already did printers, for 10 or 15 years, starting sometime in the 80's.....

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
  They already did printers, for 10 or 15 years, starting sometime in the 80's.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all good.

Yeah, I know, but I was making fun of the fact that they're going off course by suggesting they would do something so stupid and outside their very limited bailiwick.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just plain stupid as far as ideas go. Once the novelty wears off that'll be it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top