Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2015 2:20:39 PM EDT
Pit Bull thuggish behavior at the dog park

Some lady brought her pit bull to the dog park and it was running around growling and snapping at all the other dogs at the park. Whilst all this is going on,  she and a man who's standing on the small dog side are paying no mind to the thuggish behavior of the Pit Bull.

I'm sitting within ears reach of them and he's giving her tips on how to handle her dog and how he may have just had a bad handler in the past, meanwhile the dog is biting other dogs backs and snouts and they're just gabbing away.

I saw at least 5 unprovoked attacks while I was there.

The dog never got aggressive at my dog but my dog was clearly giving off the "don't you fucking dare!" growl when it came over towards us.

I didn't have any weapons on me, just a sack of dog turds I was ready to smear on the dogs face if it locked jaws on me or my dog.

Anyways. ...I made it home safe

The other dogs at the park were a treeing coon hound,  German Shepherd, two collies a mut, and my standard poodle

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Some lady is stupid for bringing that dog to the dog park.

Next.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Before long, pit bulls will be looting pet shops.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some lady brought her pit bull to the dog park and it was running around growling and snapping at all the other dogs at the park. Whilst all this is going on,  she and a man who's standing on the small dog side are paying no mind to the thuggish behavior of the Pit Bull.

I'm sitting within ears reach of them and he's giving her tips on how to handle her dog and how he may have just had a bad handler in the past, meanwhile the dog is biting other dogs backs and snouts and they're just gabbing away.

The dog never got aggressive at my dog but my dog was clearly giving off the "don't you fucking dare!" growl when it came over towards us.

I didn't have any weapons on me, just a sack of dog turds I was ready to smear on the dogs face if it locked jaws on me or my dog.

The other dogs at the park were a treeing coon hound,  German Shepherd, two collies a mut, and my standard poodle

View Quote

thats a time where you  carry! lol. isnt there a law where if it attacked yours, you have the right to shoot to kill? i swear its something like for the protection of others, similar to killing a rapist
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh-oh, you said the "T" word.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how much exagguration was put into that story based on the looks of the dog...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Dogs growl and snap at each other at dog parks.  It is often how they play.  Must have been 40 dogs at the park yesterday, dogs snapping all over the place.  You can tell when it is more than that.  

Yes with a pit I'd be more diligent than just about any other breed, but no dogs were bitten, no fighting occured, so really you're reporting standard every day dog interactions at the dog park but it was a pit and that made you nervous so you had to tell us about it.  Cool story bro.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Dog park.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I just leave when the aggressive dogs show up. Life is too short, especially for my dog. That being said, there's a difference between aggressive and rambunctious. We've made friends with lots of dogs that came bounding into the dog park and wanted to chase every dog and sometimes knock them over and grab whatever toys I was holding. Then they chilled out and acted slightly more civilized. They were just starved for exercise and social activity, not inherently vicious. And my dog has learned to tolerate this style which is less refined and self-contained than her own.

But when there's a fight within ten seconds of a new dog arriving, it's not likely that the afternoon is going to get better. We're out.

You should always have a weapon on you at the dog park. I have heavy gloves, a mace (ball throwing stick) and a flail (tug rope with handle). And two guns. Most importantly I pay attention. I'm there for my dog, not to pawn her off on other people while I play Words with Friends on my smart phone. It seems the people with the worst dogs just want to sit on the bench and do their own thing while their dog runs wild.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dog park.
View Quote

I mostly agree. I go only when it's raining heavily because that makes my back yard unusable and my dog loves rain and snow. That weather tends to keep the riff raff away from the dog park and you might run into one or two people with well-mannered working breed dogs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Dog parks suck.  I bring my gsp on occasion, but leave as soon as there is even a glint of aggression issues.  Otherwise it is a good way to fuck up a perfectly good dog.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just leave when the aggressive dogs show up. Life is too short, especially for my dog. That being said, there's a difference between aggressive and rambunctious. We've made friends with lots of dogs that came bounding into the dog park and wanted to chase every dog and sometimes knock them over and grab whatever toys I was holding. Then they chilled out and acted slightly more civilized. They were just starved for exercise and social activity, not inherently vicious. And my dog has learned to tolerate this style which is less refined and self-contained than her own.

But when there's a fight within ten seconds of a new dog arriving, it's not likely that the afternoon is going to get better. We're out.

You should always have a weapon on you at the dog park. I have heavy gloves, a mace (ball throwing stick) and a flail (tug rope with handle). And two guns. Most importantly I pay attention. I'm there for my dog, not to pawn her off on other people while I play Words with Friends on my smart phone. It seems the people with the worst dogs just want to sit on the bench and do their own thing while their dog runs wild.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

<snip>
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Back in 2013, Bimba and I were at the dog park where we met a a pit bull that growled at me.

As soon as that dog growled at me, Bimba charged and bit the pit bull.  The owner was a rather ugly looking young woman with tattoos.  She kept screaming at me and the more she yelled.at me the more pissed off Bimba became.

It is a good thing that Bimba listens to me and that I was able to call her off.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Poodles are assholes
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just describing how the normal stuff I'm carrying anyway could be used to break up a fight non-lethally. The gloves have come in handy at least twice for that. And on countless occasions the rope has given some rambunctious dog something to grab on to when they're wanting to say hi but they don't know how, and I prefer that to them chomping on me or my dog.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm just describing how the normal stuff I'm carrying anyway could be used to break up a fight non-lethally. The gloves have come in handy at least twice for that. And on countless occasions the rope has given some rambunctious dog something to grab on to when they're wanting to say hi but they don't know how, and I prefer that to them chomping on me or my dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying that its wrong you carry that stuff but if my local dog park was that outta control where it required me to bring multiple pieces of equipment to break up fights and 2 guns on top of that, I probably would be finding a new dog park... if not a trail of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't see any point to taking my dog to a dog park. Never have, never will.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Uh-oh, you said the "T" word.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not saying that its wrong you carry that stuff but if my local dog park was that outta control where it required me to bring multiple pieces of equipment to break up fights and 2 guns on top of that, I probably would be finding a new dog park... if not a trail of some sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if i had to guess his dog also likes  the "mace / ball throwing stick", as he probably uses it to fling the tennis ball. his dog may even like to play with the "flail". as for the gloves, i have no idea? this is just what i gathered from the cool story, bro.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now I am not attempting to make any particular point here.  I realize standard poodles can be testy, in a purse swinging kind of way, and they are fairly medium sized companion animals....but ...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't see any point to taking my dog to a dog park. Never have, never will.

View Quote

i have no need for the dog park, but i still take mine a few times a week. dog park about 3 miles from home, always hot ass women in short shorts, my dogs act like a 5 year old at their birthday party the whole time they are there.
seems like a win, win, win for all involved.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

if i had to guess his dog also likes  the "mace / ball throwing stick", as he probably uses it to fling the tennis ball. his dog may even like to play with the "flail". as for the gloves, i have no idea? this is just what i gathered from the cool story, bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I admit... I first read it as:  "heavy gloves, mace, rope and 2 guns"  lol

it makes more sense to me now...  still 2 guns at a dog park might be excessive but w/e, to each their own.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#29]
did he look like this:?

Looks pretty surely to me
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People have been wearing gloves while handling animals with pointy bits for thousands of years. In my case they've come in handy for keeping my hands clean and for protecting my fingers when a dog goes for the rope but too high up and closes on my hand. And then twice while breaking up fights I was glad I had some protection.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#31]
i hate dog parks... you may be cool OP, but seriously a bunch of weirdo dog owners there..
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Those dogs sure love their food.
View All Quotes

The proper term is not dogs - it's gastronomes.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This right here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

This right here.

Some dogs come from a genetic line that was bred to kill other dogs & people then selectively bred to the most aggressive currently available
other dogs are bred for other reasons including protection obedience and sound temperament.

Situational awareness and being adequately prepared to deal with the worst case scenario is prudent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Isn't "thug" banned now? It's a racist word that hurts delicate sensibilities and makes us look bad.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wonder how much exagguration was put into that story based on the looks of the dog...
View Quote

I read stories like this, and I always imagine a garden variety mutt that has zero pit bull in its genes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Bull pitts are the best dogs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dog park.
View Quote

My local dog park is great. It's a few acres and as soon as you get 50 yards into it, everyone is spread out enough that you usually don't even come close to other people/dogs unless you want to be.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Now I am not attempting to make any particular point here.  I realize standard poodles can be testy, in a purse swinging kind of way, and they are fairly medium sized companion animals....but ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's a big one....78 pounds

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The proper term is not dogs - it's gastronomes.  
View All Quotes

I was going with "land-shark"
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

My local dog park is great. It's a few acres and as soon as you get 50 yards into it, everyone is spread out enough that you usually don't even come close to other people/dogs unless you want to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dog park.

I use my local dog park simply for the extra space that I can't provide at home. My back yard is a Border collie playground with several fun activities and obstacles and changes in the landscape that make a ball bounce in odd directions. She loves that game, especially fetch combined with agility moves, but the one thing we can't do here is long flat-out runs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Before long, pit bulls will be looting pet shops.
View Quote

#pitbulllivesmatter  

Oh look, another pitbull thread!  

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Walking my dog one day, and a woman was walking her pit bull in the opposite direction. As we approached each other on the sidewalk, her dog started going batshit.

She says to me, "Could cross to the other side of the street? I can't control him."

Oh, and the best part... we were standing on the sidewalk right in front of an elementary school.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#47]
OP you may be too sensitive for the dog park...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/QHXu521.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/QHXu521.jpg

The Fuck!!??  I think I see your problem. Seriously!  LOL!!   Dog parks are the absolute worse place to take your dog….. period.

From the look of your dog , I can see why you like hanging out with the other ladies.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Some dogs come from a genetic line that was bred to kill other dogs & people then selectively bred to the most aggressive currently available
other dogs are bred for other reasons including protection obedience and sound temperament.

Situational awareness and being adequately prepared to deal with the worst case scenario is prudent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

This right here.

There are several breeds of dogs that were bred to fight other dogs and animals.  There is only ONE dog that was bred for "man work" and that is the Doberman.

Other dogs have been adapted for man work or "protection" but only the Doberman was specifically bred for use against men.

The modern day Doberman is a shadow of what they once were.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top