Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 11:59:40 AM EDT
Link for phones that don't even

Underwood loaded 140 gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracturing Bullet fired from 4.5" EAA Witness through four layers of denim into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB: 600.2 fps, 3.6"

Impact velocity: 1,432 fps
Penetration of the base: 19.9"
Retained weight: 81.4 gr

One petal penetrated approximately 10.5" and the other two both penetrated approximately 6.5"

There was no expansion, of course. The recovered base measured 0.393" in diameter and 0.344" long. The petals weighed 19.3 gr, 19.4 gr, 19.4 gr and one of them measured 0.369" x 0.336" x 0.150"
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No thanks
View Quote

Add it to the list?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
wow thats pretty shallow..
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
That wouldn't do anything for me..doesnt look like it penetrates deep enough on the petal pieces, maybe if all 3 petals had gone 12+......
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Add it to the list?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No thanks

Add it to the list?
A bb gun made the list but this is a piss poor 10mm

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

20" is shallow?!?

Kidding, I get what you're saying. The petals were shallow, but the base went pretty deep.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No thanks

Add it to the list?

The numbers fail from a personal defense standpoint, but in my entirely unprofeshunal opinion, it seems like it would make a halfway decent multipurpose round. It penetrates deeply enough to reach vitals and while the petals don't meet the 12" minimum, they do go deep enough that they should be effective in the majority of situations.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
this is shit
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I now feel vindicated for the pissing match I got in the sbr forum when I insisted that lehigh blackout bullets had not been rigorously tested, and should remain dubious
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if it's fair to compare this to the .300 Blacksnot version. Probably not much correlation. Your point that neither has been adequately tested stands, though.

I do think that this load would have a high probability of stopping a threat in a timely manner, despite its atypical performance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The numbers fail from a personal defense standpoint, but in my entirely unprofeshunal opinion, it seems like it would make a halfway decent multipurpose round. It penetrates deeply enough to reach vitals and while the petals don't meet the 12" minimum, they do go deep enough that they should be effective in the majority of situations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No thanks

Add it to the list?

I wouldn't mind it for a bear round, but I would worry thats a pretty light  hunk left after the petals peel off  to use for a bear round.. I think the hard cast 200 grainers are a better choice...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#12]
That's just the thing. I wouldn't choose it for large animal defense. A 220 gr hard cast would be a much better choice and would drive a lot deeper. I wouldn't choose it for personal defense. The area of the largest disruption doesn't penetrate to the 12" minimum and the base exceeds the 18" maximum by a fair margin. A 165 gr Gold Dot would disrupt more tissue at the 12" depth and would present less risk to uninvolved parties.

I think it would make a better personal defense load than a 220 gr hard cast and a better large animal defense load than a 165 gr Gold Dot. In other words, it doesn't do any one thing that well but I think it does a variety of things kinda-sorta okay. If you want a round that would penetrate more than a jacketed hollow point AND create more disruption than a solid, this might be the ticket.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
20" is shallow?!?

Kidding, I get what you're saying. The petals were shallow, but the base went pretty deep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

20" is shallow?!?

9mm fmj goes pretty deep too

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I now feel vindicated for the pissing match I got in the sbr forum when I insisted that lehigh blackout bullets had not been rigorously tested, and should remain dubious
View Quote
I should test them.  I had been contacted by their marketing company and the way they talked to me made me really wonder about their ammo.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I should test them.  I had been contacted by their marketing company and the way they talked to me made me really wonder about their ammo.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes! please do

for the record, I was never arguing that it was actually a poor performer - just that they can hold the kool aid until it gets tested properly

but their general attitude, as well as this 10mm turd, ensures that I remain skeptical
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

yes! please do

for the record, I was never arguing that it was actually a poor performer - just that they can hold the kool aid until it gets tested properly

but their general attitude, as well as this 10mm turd, ensures that I remain skeptical
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes! please do

When a company says over and over not to post a video which shows their product in a negative light without contacting them first to work it out, it makes you wonder.

Then there was that whole calling me unprofessional and saying they don't want to work with me for arguing with their gel supplier about his fake certification from the government lol.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When a company says over and over not to post a video which shows their product in a negative light without contacting them first to work it out, it makes you wonder.  

Then there was that whole calling me unprofessional and saying they don't want to work with me for arguing with their gel supplier about his fake certification from the government lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes! please do

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes! please do

LOL.

He kept saying his ballistic gel was "FBI Certified" and after I asked him multiple times what that was and to show proof he got pissed.  Then I got called unprofessional and they said I was "starting drama for no reason" because I called him out on it on his Instagram page

I guess falsely claiming the government has certified a product you sell is no big deal to them lol.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LOL.  

He kept saying his ballistic gel was "FBI Certified" and after I asked him multiple times what that was and to show proof he got pissed.  Then I got called unprofessional and they said I was "starting drama for no reason" because I called him out on it on his Instagram page

I guess falsely claiming the government has certified a product you sell is no big deal to them lol.  
View Quote

I wish I could say I was surprised by any of that, but it seems consistent with what I've seen from them
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20" is shallow?!?

Does 9mm FMJ also make a bigass mess of things in the first ten inches?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wish I could say I was surprised by any of that, but it seems consistent with what I've seen from them
View Quote

It's almost like manufacturers of gimmick ammo have something to hide.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
A traditional 165 hollowpoint would do everything that does better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

20" is shallow?!?

If you want to discuss damage before 10" have at it, but "the base went pretty deep" part doesn't impress me.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I realize this is an apples to dump trucks comparison, but this load shows an area of tissue disruption that extends about as far and the core is half the size, half the weight, and only makes it 14". Would you say this is garbage too?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No thanks
View Quote

Do you even hydrostatic knockdown power, bro?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No thanks

LOL. I'm not giving up my Gold Dots for personal defense or my 200 gr XTP for woods defense, but I do believe that this ammunition might not be as worthless as other over priced gimmicks, hydroknocking notwithstanding. I'm no expert myself, so my comments are purely speculative but I would like to hear what the real experts have to say about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#27]
While there are those that like and want lighter bullets for their 10mm's, I am not one of them.  Give me a well constructed 180 or higher weight bullet and I am happy.  Yes I do carry my G20sf daily and am pleased with the heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
While there are those that like and want lighter bullets for their 10mm's, I am not one of them.  Give me a well constructed 180 or higher weight bullet and I am happy.  Yes I do carry my G20sf daily and am pleased with the heavier bullets.
View Quote

My favorites are 165 gr Gold Dot at about 1,300 fps for personal defense in town, 200 gr XTP at about 1,200 fps for general woods defense, and 220 gr hard cast for large animal defense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top