Posted: 4/29/2015 7:49:39 AM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Hillary Clinton will deliver a major speech on criminal
justice reform Wednesday, calling for fundamental changes to how the
United States punishes its citizens and an end to a system that
disproportionately targets black men.

Clinton is scheduled to keynote
the 18th Annual David N. Dinkins Leadership and Public Policy Forum at
Columbia University Wednesday morning. It will be her most significant
policy address since she launched her 2016 presidential bid this month.

Clinton
will lay out her vision for criminal justice reform, centering around
an "end to the era of mass incarceration," according to an aide who
provided a preview of her remarks. Those changes include addressing
probation and drug diversion programs, increasing support for mental
health and drug treatment and pursuing alternative punishments for
low-level offenders.

She also will call for body cameras for every police department in
order to increase transparency and accountability in a way that benefits
both officers and members of the public.

In a December speech to the Massachusetts Conference for Women, Clinton said the country needed to look at "hard truths" about racial injustice in the current system.

Clinton will revive that theme on Wednesday, saying black men are far more likely than whites to be targeted by police and slapped with longer prison sentences.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/29/hillary-clinton-mass-incarceration_n_7166970.html

View Quote

Well this should help ease racial tensions in the country....

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Too late, Rand Paul already did this.

Nice try, Hillary.

Edit: Not because "the system" targets black men disproportionately, that is entirely their fault (for disproportionately committing crime).
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
She already has the black base locked up (no pun intended).  Post Fergidishu, post Baltimalia, her position frightens white people.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Will she be discussing her family crime syndicate known as the Clinton Foundation?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Restrict firearms and incarcerate less criminals.
What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As always no one wants to learn from history. We tried the soft approach on criminals starting in the late 60s into the mid 80s. Things didn't start to reverse until the tough on crime movement began again.

View Quote

This.

The vast majority of criminals I have encountered were criminals by choice.  They had zero desire to work a 8-5 job, pay bills, pay taxes, and live life in the "normal" way.

They speak a different language (violence) and believe they have a right to whatever they can take through force.  

Trying to make cops into social workers will fail every time...eventually.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

this part i don;t really have an issue with. Mental health issues with offenders has been on a VERY significant rise since Reagan and congress pretty much gutted the MH system. not really sure what "alternative punishments" means as most low level non violent offenders almost never see jail time on a 1st,2nd,3rd offense now. those in prison for petty things a re usually their for failing to abide by the terms of their probation and many times it takes an act of god to convict them on that.

i don't see body cameras as a bad thing at all. But privacy issues will need to be addressed with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
increasing support for mental health and drug treatment and pursuing alternative punishments for low-level offenders.

She also will call for body cameras for every police department in order to increase transparency and accountability in a way that benefits both officers and members of the public.

this part i don;t really have an issue with. Mental health issues with offenders has been on a VERY significant rise since Reagan and congress pretty much gutted the MH system. not really sure what "alternative punishments" means as most low level non violent offenders almost never see jail time on a 1st,2nd,3rd offense now. those in prison for petty things a re usually their for failing to abide by the terms of their probation and many times it takes an act of god to convict them on that.

i don't see body cameras as a bad thing at all. But privacy issues will need to be addressed with them.

this is 100% truth.
when Reagan tossed all the mental patients out of the institutions and cut most of the outpatient funding, mental health patients went out of control.
we are still seeing the ramifications of it today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive got news for yall-   They have already started.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WASHINGTON -- Hillary Clinton will deliver a major speech on criminal justice reform Wednesday, calling for fundamental changes to how the United States punishes its citizens and an end to a system that disproportionately targets black men.

Clinton is scheduled to keynote the 18th Annual David N. Dinkins Leadership and Public Policy Forum at Columbia University Wednesday morning. It will be her most significant policy address since she launched her 2016 presidential bid this month.

Clinton will lay out her vision for criminal justice reform, centering around an "end to the era of mass incarceration," according to an aide who provided a preview of her remarks. Those changes include addressing probation and drug diversion programs, increasing support for mental health and drug treatment and pursuing alternative punishments for low-level offenders.

She also will call for body cameras for every police department in order to increase transparency and accountability in a way that benefits both officers and members of the public.

In a December speech to the Massachusetts Conference for Women, Clinton said the country needed to look at "hard truths" about racial injustice in the current system.

Clinton will revive that theme on Wednesday, saying black men are far more likely than whites to be targeted by police and slapped with longer prison sentences.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/29/hillary-clinton-mass-incarceration_n_7166970.html

View Quote

Well this should help ease racial tensions in the country....

View Quote

They have nothing else.  Democrats have run on one form of class envy or another for the last 50 years at least. In the end they live better than most whites. so that really does not work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Bafoons
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#13]

"She also will call for body cameras for every police department in order to increase transparency and accountability in a way that benefits both officers and members of the public."

So, it's OK to expect cameras on LEO's (which I agree with) but somehow we still can't get cameras so the public can sit in on meetings with politicians like the "great one" promised?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Too late, Rand Paul already did this.

Nice try, Hillary.

Edit: Not because "the system" targets black men disproportionately, that is entirely their fault (for disproportionately committing crime).
View Quote

Doesn't matter.  She'll be the breath of fresh air on this issue in the press.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Fishing for minority votes. Shes already got the gay vote.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#16]
What about cabinet level officials taking bribes from foreign interests?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Perhaps she will explain the "success" that Dem run cities (many run by black Dems for generations) have enjoyed in that regard.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#18]

I would rather place body cameras on politicians instead of police.

"An iron fist quietly sits inside a velvet glove"

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What could go wrong?
View Quote
I'd wager; exactly what they want to go wrong.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree with this and I also support making drugs a health issue instead of a criminal issue. If someone commits a crime to get drugs, charge them with the crime they committed. Totally appropriate. Taking people who are addicted and putting them in the criminal justice system just because they are addicted is counterproductive to actually accomplishing anything positive for society. We have been doing this for decades and it has not improved at all. It is a failure. It is WAY past time to try a different approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
increasing support for mental health and drug treatment and pursuing alternative punishments for low-level offenders.

I agree with this and I also support making drugs a health issue instead of a criminal issue. If someone commits a crime to get drugs, charge them with the crime they committed. Totally appropriate. Taking people who are addicted and putting them in the criminal justice system just because they are addicted is counterproductive to actually accomplishing anything positive for society. We have been doing this for decades and it has not improved at all. It is a failure. It is WAY past time to try a different approach.

Bbbut what about OBEY?

OBEY!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What could go wrong?

Exactly-when the thugs tear apart the ghetto (not that you'd be really able to tell) it will require even more federal funds to fix! More democrats!

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#22]
She should take a couple of them home with her.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Perhaps she will explain the "success" that Dem run cities (many run by black Dems for generations) have enjoyed in that regard.
View Quote

Those cities' failures rest at the hands of the guy wearing the Real Tree baseball cap while he drives his F-150 with the NRA sticker on the back glass.  Duh...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#24]
WAIT A SECOND!!!  There's a "David Dinkins Leadership Conference"?

He was one of the worst Mayors in NYC history (although the current dildo is set to pass Dinkins on the list).  How retarded is Columbia?

TC
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Good good, drive more working class whites into the GOP.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A well known drug counselor around here says absent any type of "stick approach" (criminal charges), no carrot big enough will get addicts into drug rehab programs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

this is 100% truth.
when Reagan tossed all the mental patients out of the institutions and cut most of the outpatient funding, mental health patients went out of control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is 100% truth.

You deal realize it is more complicated than "wah Reagan kicked the crazies out and cut funding" right? Like numerous legal cases based on past abuses of the commitment process and procedure. Everything from Johnson v. Indiana, Rennie V. Klein, Addington v. Texas, O'Connor v. Donaldson, and others. Ask anyone who has dealt with a mentally ill relative what it is like getting someone committed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Insufferable bitch
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Does she really need to try hard to get the black vote?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

You gotta get that last 2%!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You deal realize it is more complicated than "wah Reagan kicked the crazies out and cut funding" right? Like numerous legal cases based on past abuses of the commitment process and procedure. Everything from Johnson v. Indiana, Rennie V. Klein, Addington v. Texas, O'Connor v. Donaldson, and others. Ask anyone who has dealt with a mentally ill relative what it is like getting someone committed.
View Quote

Around here, both liberals (want the mentally ill and retarded to live amongst the community as "normal people") and conservatives (no funding for institutions, smaller government etc etc) are coming together to oversea the closures of the centers.

Guess where they are going?

Into group homes next door to you.

Guess who they call when the 'client' goes off the wall? The local P.D.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know if it will be an effective move trying to capitalize on this

But I'm sure as hell not surprised she's doing it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#34]
the majority of which are jailed for her "MODERN PROGRESSIVEISM" system laws and regulations to control the masses.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a dream of a day when "some" learn personal a countability, personal responsibility, family values, community accountability and stops embracing ridiculously disproportionate crime as the exclusive byproduct of fictional external dynamics and takes ownership of these fundamentals themselves.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#36]
...saying black men are far more likely than whites to be targeted by police and slapped with longer prison sentences
View Quote

There is another way to fix this. I know a white woman that I'd like to see serving a long prison sentence...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Pandering to the Dem base.

Want less incarceration?  Commit less crime.  I know that's a revolutionary idea but cops target high crime areas, that's where the fun is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a matter of getting them to show up on voting day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So, no person who has an addiction and isn't otherwise a criminal will ever seek treatment? None? No one ever voluntarily walked into a drug treatment center?

Criminals are going to be criminals. We don't need to make the addiction they have a criminal matter as well. It is counter productive to anything other that keeping them incarcerated or making them unemployable.

I get the knee jerk reaction is "put them in jail" to help them get off of drugs is a strong one. I used to share it. It simply isn't working. The threat of jail clearly isn't enough to stop people from doing this particular behavior. We need a new approach. That would be the sensible choice. To continue what we are doing is stupid. It doesn't work. In my area, drug arrests are up. An all time high. That is the very definition of failure. Of course, a lot of people tout that as a success. Think about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A well known drug counselor around here says absent any type of "stick approach" (criminal charges), no carrot big enough will get addicts into drug rehab programs.

So, no person who has an addiction and isn't otherwise a criminal will ever seek treatment? None? No one ever voluntarily walked into a drug treatment center?

Criminals are going to be criminals. We don't need to make the addiction they have a criminal matter as well. It is counter productive to anything other that keeping them incarcerated or making them unemployable.

I get the knee jerk reaction is "put them in jail" to help them get off of drugs is a strong one. I used to share it. It simply isn't working. The threat of jail clearly isn't enough to stop people from doing this particular behavior. We need a new approach. That would be the sensible choice. To continue what we are doing is stupid. It doesn't work. In my area, drug arrests are up. An all time high. That is the very definition of failure. Of course, a lot of people tout that as a success. Think about that.

None? Of course not.  It was an observation they have made doing this for years.

Frankly, I say legalize it all, and don't provide any funding for rehab programs.

Let Darwin take its course.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I hope you guys enjoy 1970's era crime rates.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#42]
All the while, she'll be looking for ways to pass new laws which make whole new categories of criminals in America, because she's a would-be tyrant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Addiction alone shouldn't be criminal.  

It also shouldn't get you taxpayer money in the form of a disability check

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#44]
The sincerity and heartfelt concern is so overwhelming with this woman. I cannot adequately express my gratitude that someone of her superior moral character is wiling to sacrifice so much in order to serve as POTUS and lead this country out of the quagmire it has become stuck in.

By God I'm proud to be one of her faithful supporters.

God Bless murica!

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#45]
End the failure known as the Great Society welfare system.

Democrats are responsible for the breakup of the black family.

Democrats are responsible for black crime.

Democrats are responsible for black arrests.

Democrats are responsible for blacks being jailed.

Blacks need to wake up to the failure of Democrats and stop voting for them.  Vote for conservatives.  Accept that ending welfare for bastard kids is an essential start to fixing the black culture and a better future for them.

If blacks stay the current course, Ferguson, Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, etc are your future.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or taxpayer paid treatment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#47]
FHRC
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
End the failure known as the Great Society welfare system.

Democrats are responsible for the breakup of the black family.

Democrats are responsible for black crime.

Democrats are responsible for black arrests.

Democrats are responsible for blacks being jailed.

Blacks need to wake up to the failure of Democrats and stop voting for them.  Vote for conservatives.  Accept that ending welfare for bastard kids is an essential start to fixing the black culture and a better future for them.

If blacks stay the current course, Ferguson, Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, etc are your future.  

View Quote

The democrat marketing machine is FAR more affective than actual democrat policies. Couple that with a victim mentality (democrat driven) and you've got a recipe for disaster. Or success. Depending which side you're on of course.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#49]
It's worked wonderfully in California i
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly not the fed's money since it's not an power that they have.  If a state decides to it's their money.

But in general it should be a health issue and funded as such.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top