Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 2:28:07 AM EDT
Fact: he was arrested for carrying (openly) a folding knife which is legal in that jurisdiction.  
Fact: any such law is a against the second amendment.  The cop was acting against the second amendment.  The cop was acting against the constitution.
(ETA) Fact: the initial contact/stop was w/o reasonable suspicion & a violation of the 4th

I guess it is not clear how or when exactly he got his neck broke, so you can't quite say "cop breaks man's neck warring against the BOR."   However, had the cop not chosen to enforce a clearly unconstitutional law this man would not be dead today.  Though his death was not directly intentional, maybe it was caused by another jailee,  enforcement of any law always carries a chance of death, to the cop, the suspect, a bystander, in a more or less direct way, and yet when does a cop stop to think whether it is either sensible or constitutional or right to enforce a given law???

Yeah, I hear the guy had been arrested before, mostly for pretend crimes (drug dealing), but maybe a couple times for real crimes w/ victims.  Tell me though, had he ever been convicted of any real crimes?  Serious question.

In any even, admittedly, not a choice martyr for our cause with his criminal history, but facts are facts about this arrest, & more importantly the initial contact, in question.

And what about all those NYPDs who go out of their way to hold people's closed pocket knives by the blade and try and flick open so they can arrest someone per NYC's "gravity knife" law.  The Village Voice, knife rights referred to it, did a study and found that NYC's knife ban is one of their most prosecuted crimes in NYC in terms of arrest.  That is just a one of tens of thousands of example of cops trampling the 2nd amend ment all over the country in various ways, and that is to say nothing of the other's, particularly the 4th.  

Seriously people, when are we going to stop pretending that the typical cop is a friend of the second amendment, or the constitution generally?  

ETA: links to articles posted a few posts down as well as the knife rights email.

ETA: of course I am not seriously saying that this guy can be like our Rosa Parks, just being a little provocative in the thread title.  Nevertheless, is it not reasonable to empathize with him and his family for what has occurred per police crimes?  If you believe this unlawful stop was an isolated incident rather than systematic practice by the police I have a bridge to sell you.

ETA: not only was this guy arrested on a bogus switch blade charge for a knife that was not an auto and was openly carried, the police claim they initiated the contact b/c they saw the knife so as to investigate whether it was an illegal knife.  They had no reason or right to assume the knife was illegal or illegally carried per the laws of the jurisdiction.  Leaving aside how knife laws are an affront to the 2nd amendment, this was clearly an illegal seizure per the 4th amendment.  We have the right to not be arbitrarily detained and made to prove our innocence.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
OK

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
This will go over well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The typical person, or dare I say, American, isnt a friend of the second amendment or the constitution.
I wager there are a higher percentage of cops "on our side" than the percentage of the general public.

Not a cop BTW. And a drug dealing dindu that was "just turning his life around" is most assuredly not MY poster boy for responsible second amendment activist.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Roebuck? Hammermill? come on who are you?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#5]
In.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
so is the gang banger carrying his jennings .22 pro-2nd?
Not agreeing with the knife law or what happened to the dude, but c'mon man…are you really gonna twist this that way?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
In on page one please.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In on page one please.
View Quote

Why not?.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quite a post!  2014'er, post 1414.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I hear the guy had been arrested before, mostly for pretend crimes (drug dealing), but maybe a couple times for real crimes w/ victims.  Tell me though, had he ever been convicted of any real crimes?  Serious question.

Seriously people, when are we going to stop pretending that the typical cop is a friend of the second amendment, or the constitution generally?
View Quote

Fixt it for you.
 Now your post can be taken more seriously.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#11]
It was the Village voice that did a big article about NYC's vigerous &  absurd obsession w/ ordinary knives per the antiquated gratity knife statute.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2014/10/nyc-gravity-knife-law-arrests.php?page=all

Here is a telling quote about the attitudes of cops:
Matt Galluzzo, a former assistant district attorney in Manhattan, now a defense attorney in private practice, says that for many officers, a gravity-knife arrest is simply a hard collar to pass up. "You don't have to fight the guy, you don't have to chase him," Galluzzo says. "It's an easy way to make an arrest. And they're under pressure to make arrests." A poster on Officer.com, a verified online message board for law enforcement officers, put it bluntly in 2013 when he advised a rookie to be on the lookout for "GKs": "make sure they have a prior conviction so you can bump it up to that felony!!!"
View Quote

A little something about the relationship b/t NYC's knife obsession and the so called "stop & frisk" unofficial policy:
a Village Voice analysis of data from several sources suggests there have been as many as 60,000 gravity-knife prosecutions over the past decade, and that the rate has more than doubled in that time. If those estimates are correct, it's enough to place gravity-knife offenses among the top 10 most prosecuted crimes in New York City.

The increase seems to be the result of a confluence of forces. Changes in knife design have played a part, as modern features have nudged the most popular styles closer to the edge of the legal definition. But the NYPD's stop-and-frisk program also may be one driver. A prime rationale for the policy has always been weapon recovery; former NYPD commissioner Ray Kelly put that goal front and center in a 2013 Wall Street Journal op-ed, pointing out that stop-and-frisk had "taken tens of thousands of weapons off the street" over the previous decade.

But about 80 percent of weapons recovered under stop-and-frisk were knives, according to an analysis of the department's own statistics. And experts say the vast majority of those were likely misclassified as "gravity knives." Whether deliberate or not, dramatically expanding the definition of an illegal knife has not only landed thousands of innocent people in jail -- it also had the effect of making stop-and-frisk appear far more effective than it actually was.

Prosecutions under the law that bans gravity knives have increased significantly over the past decade, a rise that largely tracks the increasing numbers of stop-and-frisk encounters through 2011.
Darius Charney is a senior staff attorney at the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR), one of the organizations that brought a landmark lawsuit against New York City, resulting in major reforms to the NYPD's stop-and-frisk practices. He said the Voice's analysis illustrates what they've always argued: that stop-and-frisk is really about pursuing low-level crimes, not combating violence.
"When you're recovering a weapon which is really just a gravity knife, it's not about violent crime," Charney says. "It really calls into question the entire rationale that they've been using for years."

Gravity-knife arrests may be popular for another reason. Most, like Neal's, result from simple observation of a "pocket clip," often readily visible. All officers need to do is keep their eyes peeled, and they can add another misdemeanor to their tally -- or, if they're lucky, a felony.
View Quote

The article is replete w/ stories of all sorts of people, workmen, a bible camp councilor, stagehands having multiple "officers" attempt mulitple times to flick out the blade once so that the cops could score an arrest.
defendants often report that arresting officers have to make several attempts to flick a knife open during arrests. Steven Counts, the photographer, says it took "three or four tries" in his case. Clayton Baltzer, the Bible-camp counselor and seminary student who was arrested on a visit to New York in 2007, tells the Voice that two officers tried to flick his knife, unsuccessfully, and only a third, after several energetic attempts, was able to make it snap into place.
View Quote

Yep, our heros in blue who enfore these outrageous anticonstitutional laws, not reluctantly, but enthusiastically, making the extra effort to get an easy arrest on their stats w/o having to do things like chase thieves or risk their lives fighting a violent offender.  Its all just secuirty theater, officers chasing easy stats as egged on by their superiors who want to look good to their superious so that some fucking politician can say he has been tough on crime.   Makes me wonder if while putting on their pants in the morning they think not just "how am I going to get home safe?" but rather "how am I going to get home safe while going out of my way to violate the constitution?"

Admittedly, NYPD is the most extreme example, but all departments gladly enforece whatever laws they can, and bend over backwards to do it.  

Excuse me if I don't generally have sympathy for cops any more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see you are in to pretending, pretending that the WOD is not both wrong and disasteriously foolish.  Seems pretty childish.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is the CSM article that talks about fred gray, history of knife laws in america.  
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2015/0422/Freddie-Gray-death-Should-it-really-be-illegal-to-carry-a-knife-in-the-city-video

From a knife rights email, has some more specific info about Maryland & Baltimore statutes:
According to news reports, Freddie Gray was arrested after a police officer supposedly found a "switchblade" in his pocket. But, the court documents reveal something else: "The officer noticed a knife clipped to the inside of his front right pants pocket. The defendant was arrested without force or incident," the documents say. "The knife was recovered by this officer and found to be a spring-assisted, one-hand-operated knife." (Emphasis added.) Note that the officer did not refer to the knife as a "switchblade."

Maryland law prohibits concealed carry of switchblades, but open carry and possession are not illegal. The court documents state that the knife was visibly clipped to Gray's pocket. Therefore, it was not concealed, and accordingly not illegal, even if it had been a switchblade. But, it clearly wasn't even a switchblade according to the court documents -- it was an assisted-opening knife (meaning that the blade had to be opened manually part way before the spring assist was engaged and opened it the rest of the way).

Maryland does not have knife law preemption, so municipalities such as Baltimore are allowed to fabricate laws more restrictive than the state itself. Baltimore's city code prohibits the sale, carry or possession of "any knife with an automatic spring or other device for opening and/or closing the blade, commonly known as a switch-blade knife." While it might be possible in theory to interpret that unusual definition of "switch-blade" to include assisted-opening knives, such an interpretation would conflict with virtually all other switchblade definitions throughout the country. Additionally, the court documents show that the arresting officer clearly knew it was not a switchblade; the officer easily could have referred to it as a switchblade instead of accurately describing it as a "spring-assisted, one-hand-operated knife."

While it is theoretically possible that without the presence of a knife in his pocket, Gray might have been arrested on some other trumped-up charge, it is clear that the presence of a knife was used as the actual basis for the arrest, and the practice has unfortunately become a common one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#14]
This mean looting is on tonight or not
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
so is the gang banger carrying his jennings .22 pro-2nd?
Not agreeing with the knife law or what happened to the dude, but c'mon man…are you really gonna twist this that way?
View Quote

I'm not, not about him particularly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#16]
What the heck.....

(Throws popcorn in MW....)
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody stole at the Orioles game tonight, so I guess not.

Then again, is it looting if the Orioles steal in Baltimore, or only if the visiting team does.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#18]
No he's not but the whole fucked up mess is a good example of what happens when the .gov gets to big.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The typical person, or dare I say, American, isnt a friend of the second amendment or the constitution.
I wager there are a higher percentage of cops "on our side" than the percentage of the general public.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

perhps, in some locals probably.  But the general public do not all take a oath to defnend the constitution against domestic enemies.  All cops take this oath and then substantial quantities of them, perhaps a majority, go on to war against the constitution, many enthusiastically, at least in some cases where they feel like their authoritah is not respected enough.

Quoted:
Not a cop BTW. And a drug dealing dindu that was "just turning his life around" is most assuredly not MY poster boy for responsible second amendment activist.

admittedly

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Sofuckingin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

perhps, in some locals probably.  But the general public do not all take a oath to defnend the constitution against domestic enemies.  All cops take this oath and then substantial quantities of them, perhaps a majority, go on to war against the constitution, many enthusiastically, at least in some cases where they feel like their authoritah is not respected enough.

[violet]admittedly[/violet]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[violet]Not a cop BTW. And a drug dealing dindu that was "just turning his life around" is most assuredly not MY poster boy for responsible second amendment activist.[/violet]

[violet]admittedly[/violet]

One thing you will learn here is you can't trash the police. The site frowns on that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

One thing you will learn here is you can't trash the police. The site frowns on that kind of stuff.
View Quote

man, I don't want to hate the police, be predujudiced agaisnt them, sometimes its hard.  I know there are some who are good, who go out of their way to respect he rule of law even when they are disrepected by  some asshole subject, who don't make up BS drug dog signals or go about phishing all the time.   But honestly, I just dont' understand how a cop can be a cop and also respect the constitution in today's context; like practically, how could you pull it off w/ the WOD and all awful laws everywhere, all the abuses of your peers.  A cop only has some much latitude for discretion I guess?  How far can a principled cop stretch it before he gets fired by his asshole supervisor who only wants good stats or whatever? Serious question.

Anways, if it is a taboo, its a taboo I guess.  This is a private site after all. I appreciate the head's up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Effie Florida
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Then again, is it looting if the Orioles steal in Baltimore, or only if the visiting team does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure?  Looked to me like the entire audience was stolen right out of the stands.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Yup. BRB out to riot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This will go over well.
View Quote

14er makes a post that is 1414 for a double dose of 14ing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#28]
You're fucking retarded OP.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Dude, how do you multi quote?  I've been here 7 years and can't do it.  You've been here a few months and mastered it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dude, how do you multi quote?  I've been here 7 years and can't do it.  You've been here a few months and mastered it.

View Quote

Delete every set of quote marks except for the first and last one, or something like that.
I can't explain it but I can do it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#32]

i am so fucking in !!!!

im just here for the .

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

yeah, it took me a while, at first I tried to insert beginning and ending quote blocks in the middle of a quite, but it is so easy to fuck that up, especially if there are quotes w/i quotes.

The solution is to copy all of what is in the box in the screen that appears when you click the "quote button."    Then make some space below the text and paste the entire quote block again.  

Then if you want to respond to to (or more) separate parts of his quote, you delete part of the quote in the first copy and other parts of the quote in the second copy.  Then you can reply to different parts of his quote in separate areas so as to be more clear.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Post 1414 by a 14er.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You're fucking retarded OP.
View Quote

Nice insult.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#37]
so apparently some bike cops rolled up (a hybrid of my least favorite two types of people ) and saw his knife clipped to his pocket.  They say he tried to run when they called out to him.  I guess they then caught him, grabbed or tackled him, maybe tazed him?   The video starts when he was on the ground w/ the pile on and then dragged to the to the paddy wagon.  

This is my point, the cops initiated an illegal involuntary contact w/ him b/c they saw the knife clipped to his pocket which is likely legal in that Jurisdiction.  .  In MD, switchblades are only illegal when concealed.  This knife was not a switchblade anyway and they had no justification in assuming it was.  In Baltimore, it is not illegal to carry most types of knives uncovered & clipped to the pocket (not concealed).  They cannot argue that detaining him was justified based on seeing the knife alone because they are not in the position to assume it was an illegal knife.  

The police do not have the right to seize you & make you prove your innocence for everything that that you might ever do or have that could possibly be illegal.  This would analogous to stopping every motorist to make him prove that he has a valid driver's license or detaining every open carrier to ask him if he is a convicted felon & running the SNs on ever OC'd gun to see if it is stolen.  Merely being armed in a way that is possibly legal in a jurisdiction is not make for reasonable suspicion to seize a man.  

This is the very reason why GA's recently amended carry laws specifically stated that is is illegal for a cop to seize a person just for being armed.  It shouldn't have had to be written in the law b/c of the 4th amendment and GA's laws permitting permitted OC, but the cops there had a long history of harassing and assaulting people merely for being armed. This seizure for openly carrying a folding knife in Baltimore is directly analogous.

Now this guy was mortally injured as a result of the police violating the 4th (& probably the 2nd) amendments of the USC.  He may have made a poor choice in running from the police which escalated the situation, but the should not have been stopped to begin with.    Every contact, voluntary or not, that police initiate w/ a person exposes that person to being mangled or killed in the gears of the "justice" system.  Cops should have more respect for the awful power that they are trusted with and stop w/ the fucking bullshit seizures and ambiguous "voluntary" interviews they inflict on people.  

I have no sympathy for six the cops (three of them black BTW) being charged w/ something for a circumstance resulting from contact which should have never occurred to begin with, though 2nd degree murder seems perhaps inappropriate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Northern City? No way. Southern countryside? Yes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

southern cops don't have gun laws in place to use against people like in much of the NE, but damn if they don't try to enforce every little bullshit law they can, or go out of their way to search your car, your underpants or even your rectum trying to make a WOD score.    It get the feeling that dept policies in much of the NE require a higher standard of PC to search vehicles and such.  I think this may be b/c there are more lawyers up there holding them more accountable.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#40]
None of your "facts" are facts. Gray is another martyr in the WOD.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's really easy.  Just quote one person, and then quote another person.

Quoted:

Delete every set of quote marks except for the first and last one, or something like that.
I can't explain it but I can do it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
None of your "facts" are facts. Gray is another martyr in the WOD.
View Quote

the police themselves claim that they initiated contact b/c of them seeing the knife clipped to the pocket.  I guess we will have to take them at their word.

The official charge they arrested him for was for carrying the knife.  

The knife is not, in fact, illegal to carry openly in Baltimore.  

The police have been charged now in his death b/c the investigation determined that the contact & the arrest were illegal.  

So, what are you talking about?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#43]
"Pretend crimes"
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#44]
He should be....but drugs or something.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Roebuck? Hammermill? come on who are you?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd like to take this opportunity to nominate this thread for the derp thread of the week.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#47]
As a cop I will come right out and say that 'switchblade' assisted opening knife laws are just plain dumb.  I have had many, refuse to enforce.  

That being said, this guy was a jerk off.
He ran from the police and got his ass whipped.  

Now, did they go too far????  IDK
Is he unjustly dead after an interaction w the police?  Yep

Regardless of how the cops handled it, are they gonna be crucified for it?   Yep!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As a cop I will come right out and say that 'switchblade' assisted opening knife laws are just plain dumb.  I have had many, refuse to enforce.  

That being said, this guy was a jerk off.
He ran from the police and got his ass whipped.  

Now, did they go too far????  IDK
Is he unjustly dead after an interaction w the police?  Yep

Regardless of how the cops handled it, are they gonna be crucified for it?   Yep!
View Quote

Only the police had no legal justification to even attempt to stop him.  His running from them should be viewed no differently than if I ran from some random guy on the street yelling at and chasing me with a gun.  Police are granted special powers, but only when acting in the course of their duties.  Absent a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed, a police officer had no more right to impede one's travel than any other person on the street.

Of course, no one wants to be the person in court finding out that the police DID have cause to stop you, or worse, the guy who's legally in the right but still dead because the police thought they were right.  Still, the idea that resisting an illegal detainment is any different than resisting being kidnapped off the street is absurd.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Someone fired up the troll account
View Quote

Yup, my first official IGNORE after reading his gobbly gook on the black riot thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top