Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2015 11:35:30 PM EDT
So I found something very rare that I have been wanting on Ebay with a very low buy it now price, but I can't get it because I will not pay over an unsecured connection, so I wait a few hours to get home.  The buy it now was magically gone, why?  Because some dumb ass who thought he was being clever bid 1 fucking penny OVER the buy it now price so he could disable the button to try and get it even cheaper instead of just using the button like he was clearly willing to do.  It's out of the range of sanity now so I won't get it, but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that low balling asshole wont get it either, because I bid what i was willing to pay, which was more than him.  Someone else outbid me and has taken it into crazy town, but at least if that one penny asshole comes back for it it will cost his stupid ass way more than he would have paid had he just used the button instead of playing stupid assed games.

Seriously if your willing to pay the buy it now price just fucking do it, don't over bid it just to be a dick.

Yeah either way I don't get it, but that was just poor form.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What was it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I found something very rare that I have been wanting on Ebay with a very low buy it now price, but I can't get it because I will not pay over an unsecured connection, so I wait a few hours to get home.  The buy it now was magically gone, why?  Because some dumb ass who thought he was being clever bid 1 fucking penny OVER the buy it now price so he could disable the button to try and get it even cheaper instead of just using the button like he was clearly willing to do.  It's out of the range of sanity now so I won't get it, but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that low balling asshole wont get it either, because I bid what i was willing to pay, which was more than him.  Someone else outbid me and has taken it into crazy town, but at least if that one penny asshole comes back for it it will cost his stupid ass way more than he would have paid had he just used the button instead of playing stupid assed games.

Seriously if your willing to pay the buy it now price just fucking do it, don't over bid it just to be a dick.

View Quote

Was it knock off airsoft rails? Or a sopmod stock with no QD swivel?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep watching.

The buyer might turn out to be a NPB and the seller may relist it.

I've seen it happen before.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
You seem to be very unhappy about a lot of things. That's sad.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You could've done the buy it now through your phone and then paid when you got home
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
S_A_C thread

I'd have no problem paying over a supposed unsecure connection with a CC
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could've done the buy it now through your phone and then paid when you got home
View Quote

BUT IT'S NOT SECURE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What was it?
View Quote

A non leaking radiator for his race car.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
that bid was by a secrete ebay user account by the seller .  welcome to capitalism
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I never got why sellers would do that. Seemed silly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I never got why sellers would do that. Seemed silly.
View Quote

Do what?  Use the "buy it now" feature?

A lot of times that winds up being their reserve price (minimum they will sell for), and if a bidding war kicks off then anything more is gravy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like it was an "immediate payment required" BIN listing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not following.
How could anyone bid higher than the buy it now price in hopes of getting it for less than the buy it now price?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not following.
How could anyone bid higher than the buy it now price in hopes of getting it for less than the buy it now price?
View Quote

Yeah, I had to read that twice and still don't get it myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Thread title is accurate.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You seem to be very unhappy about a lot of things. That's sad.
View Quote

This.  I read GD everyday, and frankly Im surprised more people here just don't jump out of windows.

They are depressing, now Im depressed...

Just kidding, we need less people in the world....

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey, don't go knockin' my best customers...

I put shit up with a reasonable BIN, they get squirrely and run up bidding, I make some scratch and can sleep at night...they keep me honest.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not following.
View Quote

Ebay's proxy bidding. Item listed $5 opening bid, $10 BIN. Buyer bids $15 max, hoping to get it for $5 but willing to go as high as $15. IIRC their new system automatically puts your bid at just above BIN price if you bid a maximum over that amount.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ebay's proxy bidding. Item listed $5 opening bid, $10 BIN. Buyer bids $15 max, hoping to get it for $5 but willing to go as high as $15. IIRC their new system automatically puts your bid at just above BIN price if you bid a maximum over that amount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not following.

Okay, I see it now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not following.
View Quote

Because once a higher bid is in the buy it now button disappears, the buyer was hoping that no one else would bid and he could get it for less, at least I think that's how it works.

Basically, say its a $50 buy it now, but the opening bid is $10.  Low baller buyer puts in bid for $50.01.  Ebay then deletes the buy it now button.  Seller only owes $10 unless there is another bid.  Put simply the buyer is willing to pay the buy it now if he has to, but really doesn't want to because he thinks the bidding might not go that high, but he also wants to make sure someone else does not come along first and just use the buy it now button honestly and "take" it from him so he submits a bid in bad faith deliberately intended to disable the buy it now button just so he can try to win the item with a low ball bid.

I know that earlier in the day the buy it now button was there, and later it was gone, yet there was only one bidder and the minimum bid was only $1 higher than where it was earlier in the day.  The bid is now substantially higher than the buy it now was.  Fuck him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What was it?
View Quote
Balls,big ones.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What was it?
View Quote

Mystery item.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because once a higher bid is in the buy it now button disappears, the buyer was hoping that no one else would bid and he could get it for less, at least I think that's how it works.

Basically, say its a $50 buy it now, but the opening bid is $10.  Low baller buyer puts in bid for $50.01.  Ebay then deletes the buy it now button.  Seller only owes $10 unless there is another bid.  Put simply the buyer is willing to pay the buy it now if he has to, but really doesn't want to because he thinks the bidding might not go that high, but he also wants to make sure someone else does not come along first and just use the buy it now button honestly and "take" it from him so he submits a bid in bad faith deliberately intended to disable the buy it now button just so he can try to win the item with a low ball bid.

I know that earlier in the day the buy it now button was there, and later it was gone, yet there was only one bidder and the minimum bid was only $1 higher than where it was earlier in the day.  The bid is now substantially higher than the buy it now was.  Fuck him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not following.

Bid him up to what ever you're willing to pay. Either you get it at a price you think is fair or you don't.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not following.

I thought ebay removes the Buy it now button when the first bid equal to or over the starting price is made.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#25]
iPhone with EBay app for the win.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#26]
If it was suck as hot deal then you shoulda "bought it now" when you had the chance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:33:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If it was suck as hot deal then you shoulda "bought it now" when you had the chance.
View Quote

I would have if I were not on a public hotspot at the time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't understand why you are mad at him though...?

If he would have used the Buy It Now button, you still wouldn't have gotten it.  And clearly from the increased bidding it would have went over the reserve anyways, soooo.............?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought ebay removes the Buy it now button when the first bid equal to or over the starting price is made.
View Quote

Yeah, that's how it works.  At least when I put a Case 2014 Christmas Trapper up for sale in December.  BIN goes away with the first bid, whether it's above the BIN price, or below it.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize your connection is still encrypted even on public hot spots...right?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:12:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
this..newbe

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#32]
What is your definition of "unsecured"?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

A public hot spot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Buy it now goes away as soon as the item gets any bid even a $1 bid makes it go away .
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#35]
who the fuck uses public hot spots/wifi anyways. your LTE is as fast.

Should have used your cellular data with the app, bought and paid later when you were in your "safe" place. OP fail

Post the link to the auction already
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:36:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Public hotspot...fuck that noise. Use your 4G data service, that ought to be secure enough for an eBay purchase. Who the fuck would bother with a "public" hotspot when you have 4G????

Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:41:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know it until you've tried it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:59:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't know it until you've tried it.  

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSCN1275_zpsdkfyylmg.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSCN1276_zpsudznwent.jpg

Airsoft rail on a firearm? I thought they made the upper threads different so you couldn't fit a barrel nut?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSCN1301_zpsyss4epja.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Public hotspot...fuck that noise. Use your 4G data service, that ought to be secure enough for an eBay purchase. Who the fuck would bother with a "public" hotspot when you have 4G????

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lost too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:23:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But TLS and trusted certificate chains...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm lost too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm lost too.

Or the fact that most sellers will allow at least 24 hours to pay once you commit to buy something.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:40:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or the fact that most sellers will allow at least 24 hours to pay once you commit to buy something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lost too.

Except that's not how it works with buy it nows.  When you use buy it now you must pay immediately.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:45:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A public hot spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A public hot spot.

Post the link, unless its more used butt plugs like last time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I haven't bought anything 'on auction' on Ebay for at least 8 - 10 years. People will bid OVER the MSRP for a USED POS.

I wonder what they are using in place of the brains they donated to science.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#45]

If you e-mail the Seller, he may end the auction and sell it to you any way.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A public hot spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A public hot spot.

This is not like waiting to get home in order to take a shit.

eBay, (like all E-commerce sites) is SSL encrypted. I wouldn't worry about it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I haven't bought anything 'on auction' on Ebay for at least 8 - 10 years. People will bid OVER the MSRP for a USED POS.

I wonder what they are using in place of the brains they donated to science.
View Quote

Used it all the time 15 years ago.

I rarely use it anymore.
The fees are outrageous if your selling something.
Most merchandise is priced near full retail due to the retarded fees.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Although I use my phone to buy all types of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You seem to be very unhappy about a lot of stupid things. That's sad.
View Quote

FIFY.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#50]
OP is calling someone an Idiot because they out manuvered him on Epay?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top