Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2015 1:54:21 PM EDT
Been trying to track down a "chirp" sound coming from the car for the last three months. Let me give you some details. I did a full rebuild on the engine last year, I did not cut any corners. It's a 2.8 vr6 swap in my mk2. I'm sure a lot of you aren't vw fans and I feel sorry for you! The Machine work was done at one of the best, if not the best shop in Oregon. I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time. The engine has right around 8k on it now, and runs great. The "chirp" sound started to develope a few months ago after the trans had to come out do to a bent shift fork. Once the trans went back in is when it started. Initially I thought it was the throwout bearing but it doesn't change when engaging/disengaging the clutch, ontop of that the noise isn't even coming from the trans or sound related to the trans. The noise is coming right out the exhaust, sounds like a couple sparrows are in the muffler. So I assumed an exhaust leak. Nope. I've replaced the header, along with a new exhaust manifold gasket, donut gasket down at the collector, pulled the serp belt, it's been on the lift twice while looking for leaks and if anything is lose/rubbing. Haven't found anything. Uncorked the exhaust down at the collector and you can still hear it over the open header. I'm starting to think its cylinder head related. So I'm just seeing if anyone has any other ideas before I pull the head.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
vacuum leak somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You sure it's not a belt or accessory?
You can remove the belt and run the car for a minute to see.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive been there can be frustrating.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
How about a video of said chirping?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Done this already
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you used a stethescope,  maybe  help get you closer to were its coming from .
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Done this already
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done this already

was thinking this first too.

does the chirp keep up with engine speed or is it flat?

ETA: get in there and kick some stuff around. sit on the engine when running, spray some lube on everything safe to do so. kick the muffler a couple times, wrangle some things with your hands...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA: get in there and kick some stuff around. sit on the engine when running, spray some lube on everything safe to do so. kick the muffler a couple times, wrangle some things with your hands...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done this already

This-  and this:

Quoted:
How about a video of said chirping?

We need to know if it's rhythmic or random, the frequency and pitch...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Owned one of the original Grand Am's, wife complained about a chirp when it shifted. 9000 miles on car when right front had to be replaced.  It was chirping ok. Even now when I let her drive my Explorer the fuel mileage immediately drops 2-3 tenths. At least it doesn't chirp. Somethings never change.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
V-tech not kicking in fully.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
V-tech not kicking in fully.
View Quote

I thought Vtech was a Honda thing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like a valve not seating properly.  A video would help give a better idea.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a chirp replaced altenator tensioner and idler pulley.

ended up being th e harmonic balancer was coming apart.

it finally came apart didn't hurt anything just took a couple days to get it off.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had a chirp replaced altenator tensioner and idler pulley.

ended up being th e harmonic balancer was coming apart.

it finally came apart didn't hurt anything just took a couple days to get it off.
View Quote

Had that happen in my Jeep.
Wore a hole in the timing cover and sprayed oil all over. Fun.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you tried replacing your throw-out bearing? I've never worked on a VW, but there's gotta be a bearing in there. They chirp when they are going bad, have a lube issue, or sometimes just because. Considering your trans was removed and then the sound started, it would make sense to me.

ETA: Just read the rest of your post, lol. I'd still replace the T/O bearing and see if that changes anything. It's like an $8 part. And depressing the clutch pedal doesn't always make a T/O bearing squeak go away.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
It's always the last thing you worked on when the problem started.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Id take it back to the "best vw shop in Oregon" vs asking us broke back mountain camaro drivin retards.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#18]
You asked this over @ VWVortex?

Great choice in cars btw.  I'm building a 90 GLI with a cammed and carbed (Dellorto 45s) 2l 16v.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The "chirp" sound started to develope a few months ago after the trans had to come out do to a bent shift fork.
View Quote

You know what you have to do
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Update?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Id take it back to the "best vw shop in Oregon" vs asking us broke back mountain camaro drivin retards.
View Quote

Hurr Durr

Listen to the noob.  Because no one here has ever worked on a car in their life.  This is a gun forum!  There is no mechanics of gearheads/builders here.  Right?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I will have to go with the TO Bearing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#23]
did you take the drive belt off to see if the noise goes away?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I bet it's a pulley making the noise.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Does it stop in neutral with the clutch released?  Could be a thrust/end play issue.

A better sound system with a good amplifier cures most rattles and squeaks.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#26]
the dust shield between the engine and trans may be dented, which will come in contact with the flywheel.

It is also possible the noise is coming from a exhaust valve. I belive Ive seen that before But I'm not remembering right now.

nice car btw..

Heres my brothers car.

87 jetta coup, vr6 turbo, should be near 400hp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top