Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 12:40:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I watched it about 6 months ago. It's pretty good.

I couldn't imagine living like that for 40 years though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a doctor tell me to watch it. Apparently it's a great primer for when my next relationship fails and I burn out on my job on the road all week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Guy should make a killing if he has 40 yrs worth of furs to sell,  did anyone tell him what todays market price is.  Fuckit im going trappin come get me in 2055,  and dont forget ill be ninety by then and will be ready snare me a woman and relax a bit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd honestly love to do that. The longer I stay in DC, the more I absolutely detest people. There's no finer place to stay away from people than remote areas of Russia. That and they don't look down on drinking a liter of vodka every day...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my favorite documentaries. You can learn a lot about dog training watching this, among other things.

Off to find a good wedge to move a house.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw this a while back on Netflix. The guy has some cool stories. I thought it would be boring but I ended up watching most of it. It's very interesting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Definitely a badass doc.

One of my favorite parts is when he makes those short and stubby ski/snowshoe type things. They look like they'd be a pretty handy piece of gear.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Watched it. neat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Osst
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#10]
*sigh*

No days off to watch it.  Maybe later in the month.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#11]
That fucking Dog kicks ass.

I also enjoy when the trapper philosophizes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember the one guy had I think a .22 I might be wrong, but his rifle stock looked like he basically carved it out of a stump or something.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guy should make a killing if he has 40 yrs worth of furs to sell,  did anyone tell him what todays market price is.  Fuckit im going trappin come get me in 2055,  and dont forget ill be ninety by then and will be ready snare me a woman and relax a bit.
View Quote

LOL, I take it you don't trap?

Furs I got $50 back in the '70s I'm getting $15 for this year, and have lots sitting up at NAFA, waiting.
Expenses have gone up a bit too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Great show
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Furs I got $50 back in the '70s I'm getting $15 for this year, and have lots sitting up at NAFA, waiting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not to mention the furs aren't fresh and probably bug infested
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd honestly love to do that. The longer I stay in DC, the more I absolutely detest people. There's no finer place to stay away from people than remote areas of Russia. That and they don't look down on drinking a liter of vodka every day...
View Quote

Alaska? Just subsitute whiskey for vodka.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Everyone I have told about this film has enjoyed it.From housewives to blue collar types.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

Aviator
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, thank you.

I downloaded it and watched it while eating breakfast this morning.  When done I typically delete each download, but something stopped me... I may have to revisit this one to watch it again.  The documentary was so much more than anything we get here in America.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#21]
It's really good. The whole family watched it when it first came on Netflix. Everyone enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I watched it about 6 months ago. It's pretty good.

I couldn't imagine living like that for 40 years though.
View Quote

Yep, I really liked it, one of the better documentaries I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the suggestion OP. I enjoyed it. I can't believe that dog ran 93 miles
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remember the one guy had I think a .22 I might be wrong, but his rifle stock looked like he basically carved it out of a stump or something.
View Quote

I wondered if that was handmade too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm with you brother. Being in DC has turned me into an asshole. Can't wait to leave
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]
One of my favorite documentaries on netflix.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's on Netflix.
View Quote

I enjoyed that. Thanks for the good recommendation Aimless!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#28]
That was great.  I watched the 90 min version on Netflix, is there more?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]
That was great !

Those guys are as close as you get to what the Mountain men / coureurs des bois once were

Bad ass
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Tag, looks interesting.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#32]
All four episodes are on YouTube. I am watching the first. Very neat. Have the other 3 saved for later
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Even if they guy was a commie, the guy they showed during the may day celebrations still tore up from war 60 years later. Said Stalin's Russian wasn't very good.

Oh noticed one of the hunters reloading some 12ga. Was seating a primer with a brass hammer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is part one on youtube if you want to watch it.  (full series)

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Great movie, I've seen it a few times and one of these days I'll order the Blu Ray. The first time I watched it was with my 10 y.o. daughter who was home sick from school. I think we watched it twice that day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#36]
These people could make a fortune by coming to the US and setting up a wilderness survival/training school.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I was surprised to see one of the trappers had an SKS. Another had a Mosin carbine and then lots of shotguns and .22s.

Good watch
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
These people could make a fortune by coming to the US and setting up a wilderness survival/training school.
View Quote

They certainly are experts, but people don't want to know what they do.  You need a massive supply of fish and bread to make it through a winter, and plenty of fieldcraft as well.  It doesn't play well with the BOB/BOL prepper fantasy crowd. Not flashy enough, you can't "technology" your way out of a blizzard.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Not in English. It was originally a four hour Russian documentary  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In English:

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Here is part one on youtube if you want to watch it.  (full series)

https://youtu.be/fbhPIK-oBvA

View Quote

Oh , nice !

The hour long version is on Amazon Prime ,too , which Ive watched twice now , but I wasnt aware of the four hour Russian version.

Saved for later

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That fucking Dog kicks ass.

I also enjoy when the trapper philosophizes.
View Quote

I got that, too. He was a hard man but seemed pretty wise, imho.

I've watched it a couple times. Very sad what the one (inuit?) people were resorting too just to live.

If y'all liked that one, look up Dick Proenneke. He has a book published by his friend and there is a couple videos. There is also 400 pages of his journals which were unpublished and un edited (he got pissed at how edited his journals were for the book) which give a deeper insight to the real man.

Another documentary on Netflix you'll likely enjoy if you liked Happy People is High, Wild and Free. About British Columbia area. Done by Eastman and Abercrombie (names you should recognize ) Done in the late sixties, it's striking in the lack of political correctness we're so used to, today.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watched it just last weekend. I told the woman they could have done an hour and a half on the home made skis and I would have been happy

It wasn't that long ago that all human life was that hard or harder. Amazing how easy we have it. And, how soft we are.

At my age it would probably kill me to have to start living that hard of a life. Start me at 5 or 6 and we're good.

Great film, highly recommended.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Watched it just last weekend. I told the woman they could have done an hour and a half on the home made skis and I would have been happy

It wasn't that long ago that all human life was that hard or harder. Amazing how easy we have it. And, how soft we are.

At my age it would probably kill me to have to start living that hard of a life. Start me at 5 or 6 and we're good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Excellent recommendation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top