Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/13/2015 3:31:04 PM EDT
Yes I know I'll be flamed to a crisp but I really enjoyed hickok45 back when it was all him. I really get sick of hearing "buds gun shop" every time I watch a video, if I even watch the videos anymore. I really miss when he did it as a side gig and everything seemed more original. It seems like he's sold a bit of his channel out to Buds and Federal, though I don't really have anything against the ammo sponsorship.

Now that it's his full time gig, I find myself watching less and less of his videos. Actually, the only thing I really look forward to is his view of the G43. But it's pretty predictable what he's going to say about it.

Who's with me?

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the only gun channel my old man watches.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know he had sponsors, but to be honest I don't think I've watched his vids in a few years. He's one of the best, if not the best, shooter on YouTube. Love his chuckles after hitting something.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes I know I'll be flamed to a crisp but I really enjoyed hickok45 back when it was all him. I really get sick of hearing "buds gun shop" every time I watch a video, if I even watch the videos anymore. I really miss when he did it as a side gig and everything seemed more original. It seems like he's sold a bit of his channel out to Buds and Federal, though I don't really have anything against the ammo sponsorship.

Now that it's his full time gig, I find myself watching less and less of his videos. Actually, the only thing I really look forward to is his view of the G43. But it's pretty predictable what he's going to say about it.

Who's with me?

View Quote

Meh doesn't bother me. I'm glad he's got people sending him guns to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I just hope he doesn't turn into Jeff Quinn from Gunblast, there's no gun that isn't perfect and all malfunctions were just ammo, NOT the gun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck no it doesn't bother me. He still gives fair reviews of a wide variety of handguns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
He needs more cow bell...
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just hope he doesn't turn into Jeff Quinn from Gunblast, there's no gun that isn't perfect and all malfunctions were just ammo.
View Quote

LOL, true, but I wouldn't say it to his face.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]
His channel has a high overhead. I don't begrudge him accepting sponsors. He is up front about it, unlike some other channels. (Another channel I occasionally follow recently did a long video which turned out to be nothing but a candy bar commercial. Now, that was obnoxious.)
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I could give a shit less about his sponsors. He shoots, he seems to have a lot of fun with it, and that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I could give a shit less about his sponsors. He shoots, he seems to have a lot of fun with it, and that's good enough for me.
View Quote

You COULDN'T......you COULDN'T give a shit less about his sponsors.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#13]
It doesn't bother me at all, he kind of works it in like a live read off an old TV show rather than a sponsor produced commercial on his channel.

He's putting more time for sure into his review than plugging the sponsors and I hope it stays that way.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I like his videos that are shorter, in say the 10 minute range.  The ones that are over 30 minutes are generally too long IMO

The sponsorship thing doesn't bother me too much.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I like Hickok, he seems like a nice guy, but frankly his 'reviews' aren't really reviews, in the strictest sense.  He blasts on shit, laughs about it, then takes ten minutes to reload his magazines while he lists the feature bullet-points of the gun, then blasts and laughs some more. It's entertaining, and I'm glad he has people taking the financial burden off him, but MAC or MrGunsNGear are my go-to's for hard review.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I unsubed from him 2 years ago.

They are boring vids.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
i dont like any of these youtube douches who think they are somehow experts because they have a youtube channel

i dont click their links and always thumb down their videos if i somehow get duped into clicking one of their links.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like someone has backyard envy
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feel better now?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I just hope he doesn't turn into Jeff Quinn from Gunblast, there's no gun that isn't perfect and all malfunctions were just ammo, NOT the gun.
View Quote

When that goofy fucker recommended birdshot for home defense, I called him on it and he lost his fruity mind over it.  I realized then that I was dealing with your standard gun store idiot and not someone that really took the time to learn anything beyond myth and legend.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i dont like any of these youtube douches who think they are somehow experts because they have a youtube channel

i dont click their links and always thumb down their videos if i somehow get duped into clicking one of their links.
View Quote

Geez, you're an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just about everyone in this case, I'd bet. That's some set-up he's got.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#23]

How many "table top" reviews has Hickok done in which he states he shot thousands and thousands of rounds through the gun but we never saw him previously shooting the gun in any of his videos?

I believe the answer is zero.

The man shoots a lot.  I'm pretty sure he is retired on a fixed income.  I have no problem with him getting free loaners or free ammo if all he has to do is mention his sponsors.

The one thing his channel could use is some new range layouts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Geez, you're an asshole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geez, you're an asshole.

Please don't construe my laughter as condoning personal attacks.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
His channel has a high overhead. I don't begrudge him accepting sponsors. He is up front about it, unlike some other channels. (Another channel I occasionally follow recently did a long video which turned out to be nothing but a candy bar commercial. Now, that was obnoxious.)
View Quote

High overhead?
He's retired, BY CHOICE
 His range is at home, many guns are T&E, his ammo is free, there's basicslly no post production- no music, splash screen, logos, pretty much no editing.

What overhead could he possibly have?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Whst overhead could he possibly have?
View Quote

All those watermelons and 2 liter colas really start to add up
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

High overhead?
He's retired, BY CHOICE
 His range is at home, many guns are T&E, his ammo is free, there's basicslly no post production- no music, splash screen, logos, pretty much no editing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

High overhead?
He's retired, BY CHOICE

Agree. I'm just saying that he has GOT to have enough money just from the views alone to not NEED to sell out to someone. (regardless of his definition of a "sellout")

It's like his channel is not 100% his anymore.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
High overhead?

He's retired, BY CHOICE

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

High overhead?

He's retired, BY CHOICE

was going to post this

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I still like his channel.  I more watch his segments for the accuracy and function of the gun.  His thoughts are helpful, but I don't take them as gospel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know why he got flamed. He shoots a lot of different types of guns in his backyard, and records it. Not terrible.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I still like his channel.  I more watch his segments for the accuracy and function of the gun.  His thoughts are helpful, but I don't take them as gospel.
View Quote

Minute-of-gong is not an accuracy test. I've never seen him actually shoot for groups.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or

He means he COULD, but choses not to do so.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do.  Hopefully I can convince the wife to go for that setup once we start getting the AARP brochures.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention all those steel plates. His backyard is full of them and that stuff isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Hes been my favorite for along time and still is, he just shoots and gives a decent review, which is all I'm interested in.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
High overhead?

He's retired, BY CHOICE

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

High overhead?

He's retired, BY CHOICE

He paid for his own weapons and ammunition for years. I meant that he has a built-in overhead compared to non-firearms channels. Many of the top YouTube channels are simply someone talking to a camera in their apartment.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm still a fan and have no issues with him taking a few seconds to thank sponsors.  Besides the mention of sponsors, I haven't noticed anything different in the videos.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Minute-of-gong is not an accuracy test. I've never seen him actually shoot for groups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who in the fuck cares? He isn't shooting for groups, he doesn't even sell it as that, he's shooting to shoot. Don't take strict target advice from people that step out into their backyard and shoot steel on youtube. Is that too hard for you?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#40]
He's more tolerable than NF, and I appreciate his honesty about the sponsorships, but his videos aren't really interesting to me anymore.
Shoot a mag "nahce nahce! Let's see if we can hit that cowboy!"
"We sure appreciate Bud's gunshop for sending us this"
"Eyep, you know it's not much bigger than a glock."
"Let's try a couple on the gong."
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm a big fan of Hickok45.  The slight changes to his video structure since he's picked up sponsors really don't bother me at all.  Guy's got the best job in the world - I envy the free guns and ammo he gets on a regular basis.

I do miss seeing him shoot mainly reloaded ammo, though.  That gave his old videos a neat touch.  

And man, would I like to be given free rein to mine his berms for lead and scoop up the thousands upon thousands of brass cases that must be carpeting the ground around his range.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I see the addition of sponsors as the natural progression of media.

Do what you love and get paid? Double Win.

Do what you love, have someone else cover the expenses or provide your gear just for mentioning their name and get paid? Triple Win.

Capitalism in action.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Who in the fuck cares? He isn't shooting for groups, he doesn't even sell it as that, he's shooting to shoot. Don't take strict target advice from people that step out into their backyard and shoot steel on youtube. Is that too hard for you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try decaf, chief. I'm complimentary towards Hickok overall.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Hickok45 is the only Youtube reviewer that I will watch.  He gives solid reviews and most importantly  he is eloquent.

To answer your question.  The OP sucks and deserves to be flamed.

Isn't Nutnfancy sponsored by LaRue?  Did we like him better before he was sponsored?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He seems like the kind of guy who picks up all his brass  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of Hickok45.  The slight changes to his video structure since he's picked up sponsors really don't bother me at all.  Guy's got the best job in the world - I envy the free guns and ammo he gets on a regular basis.

I do miss seeing him shoot mainly reloaded ammo, though.  That gave his old videos a neat touch.  

And man, would I like to be given free rein to mine his berms for lead and scoop up the thousands upon thousands of brass cases that must be carpeting the ground around his range.

He seems like the kind of guy who picks up all his brass  

Now that he gets free ammo, I'm not sure he does pick up brass.  If you listen closely when he walks on the "gravel" toward his steel targets, all you hear is brass clinking around.  It's like he's wading through it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#48]
i enjoy MAC a lot more, he wears a Rolex
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I think Iraqveteran had a much sharper change after he started taking sponsorships.
Can't go one video without shootsteel.com
Oh and every gun is a "nahce little rig" no matter what. And that magazine test was a joke, running one magazine from each brand out of that Dolos shit.
A lot of his older videos, especially the ones with Barry were informative and interesting. Now he's pandering to the FPSRussia crowd.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top