Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2001 5:46:00 PM EDT
I always go to this gun shop called GAT Guns, in Dundee, IL.  If you go there, you will see that they are a well stocked store of firearms, archery, fishing and outdoor equipment. In fact, it is probably the most visited store in the area.
But there are some things that irratate me about this place.
1. The store is a 2 level store with the firearms and archery equipment upstairs. Printed on the stairwell is, "No one Under 18 Allowed". Isn't this wrong? I mean, yes, you can't buy firearms under the age of 18 in IL, but there is no law that says that you can't look at them, especially through a glass case.
2. I went there to see how much they wanted for a FFL transfer fee. The sign displayed said $45, which is overpriced right there. But when I showed the salesman that the rifle was the AR15.com LEGP, he said his boss changed the transfer fee to $75!! His excuse was that transfers where a pain in the butt. Yeah, right.
3. This store has a few ARs and other cool semi-auto rifles displayed in a separate section of the store. Unless, you are wearing a LEO or similiar uniform, the salesmen's attitude is like, "Why do you need this type of gun?", The salesmen there don't even recognize the words "preban"or "postban". To them ARs are for serious competitors or LE only.
4. I informed the store about a petition for allowing concealed carry in Illinois, thinking that they would post it for their customers. Nope, they didn't even bother.
5. They have this Annual Shootout Sale. When you go to one of these "sales", nothing is on sale. In fact ebverything is at regular price or higher.
6. One of the rules for the indoor range is NO Rapid Fire. I always abided by this rule. But for some reason another shooter decided to rapid fire off 6-8 rounds. Maybe he just bought the gun and wanted to test it out, I don't know. But the salesman came storming in the range and yelled out, "If any of you rapid fires again, you are ALL leaving!!"
So apparently this store's policy is punish everyone for another guy's mistake.

I always went to this store as it was only  12-15 mins from my house. Am am I wrong if I decide to never go to this place again? Any other gun store in my area with a range is at least 30-45 mins away. I really only go to this store just for the range, but I don't think they deserve my business even if I have to travel farther to another store.
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
An extra 1/2 for principle isn't bad, but why not first write to the store owner or regional management and let them know what you're going to do and why?

[red]P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Basically it sucks, most all Illinois (at least it seems like the whole state when you have lived in Chicago [:(]) gun stores are anti AR15.

Gat sucked a little more each day until I left the state about 2 years ago. Gunworld isn't much better. They have told me they had something in stock when in fact they didn't, and even worse, that they didn't have something in stock with it HANGING ON THE WALL BEHIND THEM!

The guys at GAT used to get pissed at me all the time because whenever I went for head shots I would pretty frequently shoot and destroy the pvc target holders. I'm not a horribly bad shot, but...[:D]

The only place I usually went to shoot in Illinois was the Buffalo Range in Ottawa. They didn't care what you had. AR's, MG's, SG's, pistols, whatever. Plus it was outside which I like better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt throw down any more of my hard earned cash at these idiots, It is obvious that they dont give a flip whether you or any one else is there, a guy just buys a gun from them and they come off with an attitude about rapid fire? Come on! Some of the best places I have dealt with is the small Mom and Pop shops. Service with a smile goes a long way with me.I think I would tell the owner/ manager just why I was going elsewhere and I would inform him that i am not at all bashful about telling other people why-word of mouth is a very powerful thing.  Good luck and good shooting
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I forgot to add that no, it's not illegal for -18 to look at guns. Just to buy. I'm not sure, but I think if it's a gift of parents or someone, -18 can even be in posession or own. But that's my understanding and may not apply to ILL.

$45!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
$75!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's bullsh!t. To an FFL it costs zero, zip, nothing to "transfer" a rifle. There is no tax stamp, it's not registered, so how can you "transfer" it. It involves you filling out a yellow form and them calling NICS. Wow, what a lot of work. Something like that shouldn't cost more than $15. There is NO, I say NO, NO, NO reason to charge more for an AR. That's blatant rifle discrimination, in addition to them just being an asshole. Tell them you won't pay their bull crap money unless they don't want you ever spending money to shoot there again or buying ammo from them again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't been to Gat, but my brother and his buddy went once and said, never again.

Great selection, HIGH prices, stupid, ignorant employees with bad attitudes.

Gun World pissed me off so much, I haven't been there in 12 to 13 years.

Black, if you're still looking for a FFL transfer agent, go to [url]www.gunbroker.com[/url]

Click on FOR BUYERS at the top of the home page,then scroll down to FIND A FFL TRANFER AGENT BEFORE YOU BID and click.

Once there the easiest way is just to enter your Zip Code and hit enter.
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe we should all support our local gun dealers, but I would make an exception in their case. I would still use the range, but don't give them any extra money.
Try to find a good Mom & Pop shop in the area, it may take a while but if you get to know them, they are often worth their weight in gold.
I can buy ammo cheaper over the internet, but I ussually give the business to my FFL, and only order by mail ammo he doesn't keep in stock.
BTW, my FFL charges $20 for transfers.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I try to support the local shops but recently I got a little surprise. I used to use my local shop for transfers. They charged $15.00 for NICS and a $35.00 service fee, $50.00 total for transfers. I found this reasonable due to them being local and they have a good selection of accessories.

About six months ago I tried to run a transfer of an M1 Garand through them. Before we started the paperwork the counter person informed me they had raised their rates. $15.00 for NICS, $35.00 processing fee, local sales tax (8.25%) and 10% of purchase price! The rifle cost 600.00 so that meant 15.00+35.00+49.50 tax+60.00= $159.50 to transfer! I laughed in their face! I was absolutely shocked! I haven't been back since.

Found a guy who charges $25.00 total but he's about 40 miles away. Another guy about 15 miles away charges $50.00 total.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#9]
they don't know the difference between a preban and post ban huh?......
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I went to a dealer who charged me $25.00 to order an AR for me.  A year later, I come in after work (shirt and tie) and all of a sudden it's $50.00 for a stripped lower.  It's my fault, I guess.

I was at a local indoor range, and I'm ripping through a 10-round mag of .22's at the blazing speed of 1 round/sec. by my best estimation.  In walks the range dude, with a very concerned look on his face, finally sees the .22 and tells me (politely, I should add) that there is no rapid fire allowed.  OK, maybe I misestimated.  A few miutes later, he's doing double taps out of the HK next to be.  Whatever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I went to a dealer who charged me $25.00 to order an AR for me.  A year later, I come in wearing a shirt and tie and all of a sudden it's $50.00 for a stripped lower.  It's my fault, I guess.

I was at a local indoor range, and I'm ripping through a 10-round mag of .22's at the blazing speed of 1 round/sec. by my best estimation.  In walks the range dude, with a very concerned look on his face, finally sees the .22 and tells me (politely, I should add) that there is no rapid fire allowed.  OK, maybe I misestimated.  A few miutes later, he's doing double taps out of the HK next to be.  Whatever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Dude, you should of asked.  I have a place for you. It is in Arlington Heighs. Actually two places.  
First is a small FFL that does transfers. Orders only, no ammo or such.  $15 for them.  
Prospect Dive
ph 847.259.0606
Ask for Mike.  
Note, the guy is slow as hell. It could come in, but it might be a couple of days before he calls you to say it is in. Shit like that.
Also
Phils Village Sports
Transfers are $25 to $30. Not sure.  Good place, this is where I go all the time.  Carries ar15's and ar10's.  Mak-90's.  Ammo is cheap for retail. IMI FMJ for $7.00 a box of 50.
7.62 * 39 FMJ wolf for $3.25 for 20.  
Orlite 30 rders for $10.  
Hope this helps

One question, does GAT allow ar15's on the range?
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I frequent a shop which is higher priced (15% or so, but he sometimes bargains really nicely) than most in the area to avoid this sort of problem.  The shop I use is very pro-gun (any gun except the AK's (owner is an ex-Marine, something about not liking guns that have been shot at him over and over again)), friendly, and helpful.  They answer all of my questions quickly, and cheerfully, and hey, you can't beat that.

Every gun I purchased from them included an hour of the owners time, sitting down with the firearm, cleaning it, showing me the particulars of the gun, and encouraging me to be comfortable with it and to enjoy.  Most other places wouldn't answer questions, and once the sale was complete, they still wouldn't answer questions.  

If you are in Southern PRK, check out this guy...  [url]www.egsw.com[/url]  

InTheBlack - You'll find someone around there that will be better than GAT Guns.  It all depends on what you are looking for in a shop.  The fact that you listed 6 valid complaints in a Public Forum, well, that says it's time to find a new place!

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dude, you should of asked.  I have a place for you. It is in Arlington Heighs. Actually two places.  
First is a small FFL that does transfers. Orders only, no ammo or such.  $15 for them.  
Prospect Dive
ph 847.259.0606
Ask for Mike.  
Note, the guy is slow as hell. It could come in, but it might be a couple of days before he calls you to say it is in. Shit like that.
Also
Phils Village Sports
Transfers are $25 to $30. Not sure.  Good place, this is where I go all the time.  Carries ar15's and ar10's.  Mak-90's.  Ammo is cheap for retail. IMI FMJ for $7.00 a box of 50.
7.62 * 39 FMJ wolf for $3.25 for 20.  
Orlite 30 rders for $10.  
Hope this helps

One question, does GAT allow ar15's on the range?
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org
View Quote

Thanks for listing the places I can go to.
No, GAT Guns does not allow any rifle caliber in both ranges they have. You would think they would have one range made for rifles like Gun World does.
The only rifles that can be fired at GATs is pistol calibers; .22,.45,.9mm etc. If you have a .22 conversion kit on your AR and show the person that your AR is only shooting .22, then you're ok to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top