Posted: 3/10/2015 4:16:10 PM EDT
s this it? neil cavuto ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That's not "way down".

That's not even a minor correction.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Apple's replacing AT&T on the 18th.  Curious to see what kind of change that results in.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Can someone explain why a stronger dollar causes the market to drop? I thought that was a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it related to the failed neckbearding of 5.56?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
332 points (or 1.8%) is not "way down"....wake me up when it's down over 1,000 on one day
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Is today, "Its happening!!!" day?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can someone explain why a stronger dollar causes the market to drop? I thought that was a good thing.
View Quote

I may be mis-representing this, but the way I see it is when the value of the dollar is strong, it is worth more
so has more purchasing power, therefore a share in a company can be had for less dollars.

Likewise, with a weak dollar, it takes more of them to buy a single share in that same company, all other things being equal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
5% correction is normal
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's not "way down".

That's not even a minor correction.
View Quote

Many stocks are going through a much needed correction right now, which means a good buy point will present itself soon for
the healthy ones. If there is a week with steady gains and it is otherwise a healthy stock, that may be a good buy point.

I wish I had more to add to my brokerage account right now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it related to the failed neckbearding of 5.56?
View Quote

Yes caused by all the 401K's that were cashed out to buy M855 futures.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My take on it

Weak dollar and lower interest rates from the Fed mean more people invest in stock market, forcing price up as multiple bidders try for the same assets. This is because other "safer" forms of investment do not give a high enough return based on the low Fed rate. Also, more people want higher returns due to fluctuating (dropping) value of the dollar--you have to earn more from investments to keep the same "value". Also, foreign investors will purchase dollars to buy in the stock market since their money is worth more US dollars, which is still one of the more stable currencies. ETA: There is also some artificial enhancement stock worth from "cheap money" from the Fed that perverts everything.

Strong dollar and higher interest rates from the Fed means 1) people worry about bad effects of raising interest rates on businesses and leave stock market, 2) more people look for a safer haven for their money and also leave the stock market, and 3) fewer foreign investors join stock market due to their money is "worth less" now and some will "cash out" and leave to wait for the next period of weak dollar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#14]
There are too many factors to list here, but one is aspect is that a weaker dollar generally leads to more exports (things foreigners want to buy from the US are cheaper to them) while a stronger dollar generally leads to fewer exports (it will cost a foreigner more to buy things from the US).
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I think we are due for another 2008 level correction.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I may be mis-representing this, but the way I see it is when the value of the dollar is strong, it is worth more

so has more purchasing power, therefore a share in a company can be had for less dollars.

Likewise, with a weak dollar, it takes more of them to buy a single share in that same company, all other things being equal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not cynical enough.

The dow is down because the real economy is showing signs of stabilization...can't bring myself to call it growth.

This will cause the FED to look at raising interest rates...maybe a 1/4 point...and this will ever so fucking slightly cause the .001%er free money train to slow down.  The problem being that the tippy top of the investing heap controls a large portion of the market.  If they decide to head to the door...its a bums rush to get out with them or get left owning stocks that aren't worth as much.  The rest of us call that investing.

So economy up = free money down = wall street has to think for itself and chaos ensues.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who said the stock market going down was a bad thing?

The stock market is just ONE market.  It is not the only indicator of economic progress and quite frankly when gains are built on the backs of higher and higher multiples of earnings, they aren't gains that actually reflect a growing economy.

It'd be a good thing in my mind if interest rates went up and the S&P index corrected back to around 15 times earnings.  My armchair quarterback opinion is that the Federal Reserve is behind the curve on raising rates this time just like last time.  

The alternative is allowing another asset bubble to build right up until it busts again.  Moving sideways for a year or two would be much preferable as it would yield fewer outright casualties in terms of people's lives being destroyed.

I only barely know what I'm talking about though so maybe someone smarter than me should chime in.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope so. I would make a fortune
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wish it would happen already as I need back in for new dollars
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top