Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2015 8:33:36 AM EDT

1970The U.S. Army accuses Capt. Ernest Medina and four other soldiers of committing crimes at My Lai in March 1968. The charges ranged from premeditated murder to rape and the "maiming” of a suspect under interrogation. Medina was the company commander of Lt. William Calley and other soldiers charged with murder and numerous crimes at My Lai 4 in Song My village. The My Lai massacre became the most publicized war atrocity committed by U.S. troops in Vietnam. Allegedly, a platoon had slaughtered between 200 and 500 unarmed villagers at My Lai 4, a cluster of hamlets in the coastal lowlands of I Corps Tactical Zone. This was a heavily mined region where Viet Cong guerrillas were firmly entrenched and numerous members of the participating platoon had been killed or maimed during the preceding month. The company had been conducting a search-and-destroy mission. In search of the 48th Viet Cong (VC) Local Force Battalion, the unit entered My Lai but found only women, children, and old men. Frustrated by unanswered losses due to snipers and mines, the soldiers took out their anger on the villagers. During the attack, several old men were bayoneted, some women and children praying outside the local temple were shot in the back of the head, and at least one girl was raped before being killed. Many villagers were systematically rounded up and led to a nearby ditch where they were executed. Reportedly, the killing was only stopped when Warrant Officer Hugh Thompson, an aero-scout helicopter pilot, landed his helicopter between the Americans and the fleeing South Vietnamese, confronting the soldiers and blocking them from further action against the villagers. The incident was subsequently covered up, but eventually came to light a year later. An Army board of inquiry headed by Lt. Gen. William Peers investigated the massacre and produced a list of 30 people who knew of the atrocity. Only 14, including Calley and Medina, were eventually charged with crimes. All eventually had their charges dismissed or were acquitted by courts-martial except Calley, who was found guilty of murdering 22 civilians. He was sentenced to life imprisonment, but his sentence was reduced to 20 years by the Court of Military Appeals and further reduced later to 10 years by the Secretary of the Army. Proclaimed by much of the public as a "scapegoat,” Calley was paroled in 1974 after having served about three years

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#1]
was calley a scapegoat?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't know, but the dead baby in that pic just fucked up my breakfast.
View Quote

which dead baby?

if we forget history we are doomed to repeat it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
was calley a scapegoat?
View Quote

OCS makes the best officers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#5]
All those found to be involved should have been executed and buried in a mass, unmarked grave. Totally fucked up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't know, but the dead baby in that pic just fucked up my breakfast.
View Quote

Would a dead baby joke cheer you up? My NCOIC taught me a couple

It sounded like a real sticky situation, they should have used napalm.

Ya, he was a scapegoat. We've had a few in OIF/OEF also.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

was calley a scapegoat?

how's the cow?

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]
she walks, she talks, shes full of chalk.  

this is what happens when you don't have air support.

had we used F105s, this wouldn't have been news.

yet, again, the air force is to blame.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All those found to be involved should have been executed and buried in a mass, unmarked grave. Totally fucked up.
View Quote

how about the crew of enola gay?

war sucks.
get a helmet.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Always struck me as ironic that they could have called in an air strike and done the same thing without being in violation of anything...but they did it as a ground element, so it was illegal.  

Strange in an amoral way.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Always struck me as ironic that they could have called in an air strike and done the same thing without being in violation of anything...but they did it as a ground element, so it was illegal.  

Strange in an amoral way.
View Quote

taxpayer steals 10K from a bank.  20 years in jail.

banker steals 20 billion from the taxpayers, we make him Treasury Secretary.

Retail always sucks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Calley was in the 11th Brigade of the Americal and I was in the 198th of the Americal. I am quite familiar with the village. When all this came out in the news I kept thinking I should know this place but I just couldn't recall it. Then I finally realized it was what we all called the Pink Vill. It was called the Pink Vill because everyone there was Red.

I am not condoning killing the kids but every adult in that village was the enemy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Calley was in the 11th Brigade of the Americal and I was in the 198th of the Americal. I am quite familiar with the village. When all this came out in the news I kept thinking I should know this place but I just couldn't recall it. Then I finally realized it was what we all called the Pink Vill. It was called the Pink Vill because everyone there was Red.

I am not condoning killing the kids but every adult in that village was the enemy.
View Quote

Yep.  Compare and contrast to what the peaceful communists did to Hue.

If a village unprotected by ARVN/US forces was actively attacking VC or NVA, what do you think would have happened.

Calley's fuck up was he was too stupid to call in air strike.  Which, in retrospect, he probably tried but it got denied.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't get there till October 1968 and didn't hear anything about this mess while I was in country. I was only involved in 1 operation out of Quang Nai city and it was to the West not toward the Vill.

1/14th Artillery had a battery that looked down on the Vill and enforced curfew with a 105.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I didn't get there till October 1968 and didn't hear anything about this mess while I was in country. I was only involved in 1 operation out of Quang Nai city and it was to the West not toward the Vill.

1/14th Artillery had a battery that looked down on the Vill and enforced curfew with a 105.
View Quote

They should have taken fire and returned it appropriately.

zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Cally only served 3 1/2 years of house arrest for the murder of 20 some people, to me that sows he was a scapegoat.

The Army had to punish someone and a lowly private would not suffice so a lowly ass Lt. had to be sacrificed.

I think it went higher up the food chain, but the whole I was following orders thing is not right either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top