Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2015 6:28:24 AM EDT
Earlier spotted in Germany, a wolf is now on the loose in the Netherlands.
First one since over 150 years.

A single wolf (Canis Lupus) is spotted in the Northeast part of the Netherlands.

Experts say it is a harmless animal to humans and should be left alone.

Well, a wolf running through my neighbourhood will not end nicely.

So, how dangerous is a wolf to humans and especially small children?

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Earlier spotted in Germany, a wolf is now on the loose in the Netherlands.First one since over 150 years.
A single wolf (Canis Lupus) is spotted in the Northeast part of the Netherlands.

http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sites/default/files/styles/landscape_2/public/content/images/2015/03/08/Robert_Vlieghu-wolf-drenthe-2.jpg?itok=P3kuxSzG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rE_xOeZeQ

View Quote

I doubt that it would be particularly dangerous.  He is probably going to go for small animals and maybe some livestock if they are handy.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

They usually avoid people and inhabited areas, unlike fucking coyotes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt that it would be particularly dangerous.  He is probably going to go for small animals and maybe some livestock if they are handy.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Earlier spotted in Germany, a wolf is now on the loose in the Netherlands.First one since over 150 years.

http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sites/default/files/styles/landscape_2/public/content/images/2015/03/08/Robert_Vlieghu-wolf-drenthe-2.jpg?itok=P3kuxSzG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rE_xOeZeQ

There is a report that this individual has killed a sheep (and eaten from it).

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This one is spotted running alongside cars, and in the YouTube-video he is running through a town.

He almost ran into a supermarket yesterday.

Does this indicate this wolf isn't a "true" wild wolf, but rather an escaped species?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a report that this individual has killed a sheep (and eaten from it).  
View Quote

He's a wolf, that's kinda what they do.

Seeing your other response, it may be a dog/wolf hybrid. Not sure if those are legal where you live.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That can't be a serious question?  Unless it's rabid there is almost no chance it's dangereous to people.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Eating sheep would be a normal wolfish behavior.  Can't really blame him, sheep are tasty and mighty stupid.  

I am kinda surprised that he hasn't been darted and returned to whatever zoo he escaped from.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That can't be a serious question?  Unless it's rabid there is almost no chance it's dangereous to people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well... this is the first specimen since 150 years here, so we are not really experienced with these animals.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Eating sheep would be a normal wolfish behavior.  Can't really blame him, sheep are tasty and mighty stupid.  

I am kinda surprised that he hasn't been darted and returned to whatever zoo he escaped from.
View Quote
Ah... you are not familiar with our bureaucracy?

There are probably a dozen of licenses that have to be approved before action will be taken.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a hybrid as a pet.  She is a sweet girl to people and dogs.  Cats, possums, and deer (she hasn't ever caught one, but not for lack of trying.) not so much.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are probably a dozen of licenses that have to be approved before action will be taken.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I expect that a shepard will take care of the wolf in a quiet and permanent manner before too much longer.  It will end up being a case of shoot, shovel, and shut-up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm okay with wolves running around in urban areas eating unarmed people I probably disagree with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Balkan / BlackMountain woman guarding her flock against the wolves

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Netherlands is no place for a free wolf... there is not a place it can go, even the snow eifel, where it will have the range it needs. my prediction - it will be hit by a car or train.

hopefully it will get captured before that... and where is it gonna find a mate?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#15]
For God's sake do NOT upset it. Take the modern European approach to immigration and pander to it's every whim. Place young, crippled sheep out for it to feed on.Allow it to roam freely and piss on anything it wants to, to establish it's territory.
Then call us in 15 years and cry about how hard it is to get rid of them.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#16]
OH you should hear the Animal Rights Party when somebody suggests you should just choot it(*).

They literally go into full 'leave Btriney the wolf alone' mode.

(*) You know because there is not much space in the most densely populated country of Europe (well besides the small Island of Malta)
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#17]
It is just a homeless dog, give it a job and it will stop eating sheeps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top