Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 5:24:38 PM EDT
Is there a metal detector or pat down to get inside the arch?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Worried about your pacemaker?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Worried about your pacemaker?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Insulin pump.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
They'll just rip it off you and give it back when you exit
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
To answer your question, yes there is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sucks, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch the size of the knife you carry.  It is stupid restrictive there.  Can't remember the sign and notifications but a serrated blade over a certain length and configuration is illegal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Metal detectors at the St. Louis Arch? I don't understand - do they fly planes out of it? House prisoners in it? Why would they do that?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Watch the size of the knife you carry.  It is stupid restrictive there.  Can't remember the sign and notifications but a serrated blade over a certain length and configuration is illegal.
View Quote

I believe that someone got popped a few years back for that very thing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is there a metal detector or pat down to get inside the arch?
View Quote

I don't remember, but it was 4-5 years ago...
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Metal detectors at the St. Louis Arch? I don't understand - do they fly planes out of it? House prisoners in it? Why would they do that?
View Quote

Do you even War on Everything, bro?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Having been to the arch once, if face with having to go again or jail time, I would go to jail.

Let's cram about 5 people into a phone booth laying on its side for a 10 minute ride to the top ugh
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That sucks, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks, thanks.

Glad to help!

I was there last June and the Park service has a metal detector and x-ray machine at the front door. Definitely sucks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean "popped"?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, the arch itself is made of metal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

A high traffic, confined space, tourist trap, icon of American.  Nah, it would never be a target for terrorists or any other group that wants to make a statement.

FYI they make you take your belt off too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

like a weasel
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Not worth the ride to the top in my opinion but yes they do have metal detectors and no firearms allowed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAG...

Just guessing
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#19]
They wouldn't let me bring my knife in, so I hid it by the base of a tree. It was still there 2-3 hours later. No one pays attention to someone burying an object close to an historic area, apparently.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They wouldn't let me bring my knife in, so I hid it by the base of a tree. It was still there 2-3 hours later. No one pays attention to someone burying an object close to an historic area, apparently.
View Quote

Is that considered a historic area??  I get why it's prominent, but it was a publicity stunt by Sears

eta:  I'm wrong about that.  I must have seen some old advert or Craftsman catalog that left me with that impression.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A high traffic, confined space, tourist trap, icon of American.  Nah, it would never be a target for terrorists or any other group that wants to make a statement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naturally, the solution is to take extensive measures to ensure the everyone other than the terrorists is completely defenseless.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is that considered a historic area??  I get why it's prominent, but it was a publicity stunt by Sears
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything is a terrorist target now. More hut-hut needed everywhere. As long as everyone "feels" safe.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sears

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not worth the ride to the top in my opinion but yes they do have metal detectors and no firearms allowed.
View Quote

Yep, my kids and I were there last summer. You get to the top, look out the window for a minute, then it's like "Welp, that was fun, let's get the fuck outta here."
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sears

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sears

Addressed in my edit.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The entire city, like most bigger cities, is of course infected with the stupid.

No terrorist is gonna give a flying fuck about the stupid ass arch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I can confirm the other positives......no knifes, CC. We took a group of our friends\family there last year and I had to walk my ass back to the vehicles with every ones hardware. Its very similar to the TSA security theatre at an airport. IE Shoes, belts off, pat down, metal detectors,  etc.....and they weren't very congenial either. Also agree with the folks who weren't impressed. The ride to the top sucks, esp if you are claustrophobic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I can confirm the other positives......no knifes, CC. We took a group of our friends\family there last year and I had to walk my ass back to the vehicles with every ones hardware. Its very similar to the TSA security theatre at an airport. IE Shoes, belts off, pat down, metal detectors,  etc.....and they weren't very congenial either. Also agree with the folks who weren't impressed. The ride to the top sucks, esp if you are claustrophobic.
View Quote

Amen. That lurching non vented 50 yr old elevator running on a curved track gets stuck often enough that they warn you about he possibility and tell you don't panic when it happens.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#29]
The last time I was there a sign had been posted warning against "switchblade " knives and had a picture of a Spiderco Delica on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep, my kids and I were there last summer. You get to the top, look out the window for a minute, then it's like "Welp, that was fun, let's get the fuck outta here."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the Museum of Westward Expansion at The Arch (Jefferson National Expansion Memorial) is awesome.

Yes the security is very tight and the lines can be long.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is funny. I did the same thing with a speed loader last time I was there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top