Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2015 3:08:18 PM EDT
Crawling around in the attack and heard a buzz then a burning pain in the left side of my neck, and then a few seconds later another sharp burning pain on the right side of my chest. Apparently I got stung at least twice, complete with raised red bumps at the site of the sting.

No stinger was left in my skin and I have no idea what stung me. What lives in an attic and doesn't leave a stinger in your skin after it stings you?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasp sting.

Dibs on your ammo.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wasp?

Mutant bee scorpion hybrid?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Dibs on guns and optics.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Apply ice

Take Benadryl and Zantac

Yes Zantac
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Duct tape.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Wasp or fire ant or black widow or brown recluse or...    youre fuct

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Rub some dirt on it, and walk it off you big girl.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm...I didn't even consider that it might be a spider.

The wife put some sort of antiseptic spray on it and most of the pain has pretty much gone away unless I touch it. It feels like a burn.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm guessing you're fine if you haven't had a major reaction by now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Get your momma to drive to the store and by a can of smokeless tobacco. When she gets home have her take a small amount slightly dampened and apply it to the area. Will draw the toxin out. After it gets to feeling better sit down and have a dip with her. Get all giddy and dizzy and she can laugh at you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Rub some dirt on it you pussy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dibs on guns and optics.
View Quote

Do you really need both? How about not being so selfish and leaving one for the rest of us.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#13]
In Tejas, scorpions are a real possibility.

So, bye.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Dibs on safe, gold & silver.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Just watch for an allergic reaction, though as was said you'd probably have known that before you got done typing.  

Other than that risk it's really just "suck it up, buttercup".
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Ammo dibs!

Spit on some dip and apply to the stings.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The wife put some sort of antiseptic spray on it and most of the pain has pretty much gone away unless I touch it. It feels like a burn.
View Quote

A buzzing spider?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds brown recluse'ish.  Keep an eye on it.  Those are nasty bites and can rot a lot of flesh in the bitten area.

ETA:  Can I have dibs on any spare build parts and reloading stuff?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That sounds brown recluse'ish.  Keep an eye on it.  Those are nasty bites and can rot a lot of flesh in the bitten area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brown recluse bites are PAINLESS
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently often, but not always
http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/brown-recluse-spider-bite-topic-overview
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Would you say your of average size          
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I haven't seen mean bugs for months. It'll be a couple more before shitty things like wasps dare to creep around.  This is why I love winter up where natures demon spawn are constrained half the year.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand by my statement
The bites are PAINLESS
Not noticeable or irritating for six hours
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Pee on it....

The ammonia will help with the pain.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]

The Babadook strikes again.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Gonna do dis
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Next. Step.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Make sure you dont get dizzy,  some people got allergies.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get your momma to drive to the store and by a can of smokeless tobacco. When she gets home have her take a small amount slightly dampened and apply it to the area. Will draw the toxin out. After it gets to feeling better sit down and have a dip with her. Get all giddy and dizzy and she can laugh at you.
View Quote

Moistened baking soda (mix in enough water to make a paste) is another option.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad everything is frozen here and we don't need to worry about insects.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Pee on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Stand by my statement
The bites are PAINLESS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand by my statement
The bites are PAINLESS

Okay, I'll have to agree with you.  I'm not a doctor that specializes in this sort of thing but take it that you are.  All I have is the interwebs
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=do+brown+recluse+bite+hurt

Shoot, could be the flying spiders for all I know, and those have an even nastier bite. Hope it wasn't one of those. Or the even the more dreaded flying scorpions.  Those send shivers down my spine.

OP, I think you'll be alright.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wasp sting.

Dibs on your ammo.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Because cpermd wouldn't let me play and OP's inbox is full

There could be plenty of things taking refuge in your attic.  Yellow Jackets, Wasp, Hornet or other flying stinging bugs.  Unless your allergic (which you would have already been dead by now or extremely sick), you will be fine.  Nothing but a bee will leave it's stinger in you.  Don't even think that is true for anything other than honey bee's.

Did it hurt like hell or just a pinch.  If a pinch, you are tougher than me.

Get some hornet spray, find out where they are and kill them.  Works on contact.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#35]
" />
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Paper towel soaked in windex applied to the sting.  Five minutes and your right as rain.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Paper towel soaked in windex applied to the sting.  Five minutes and your right as rain.
View Quote

Put Some Windex On It
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buzzing spider?
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607995815722420840&pid=15.1&P=0

DAMN!
I thought what we called 'Yellow Jackets' were bad.
Hope OP is Okay, bee stings, never allergic, prior bite changes your tolerance, next sting, DRT.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Long story short. July  4th, 2 years ago, minding my own business on the front porch. Unbeknownst to me, there was a hornet nest back in the  area where the porch roof joins the  roof of  the house. Something agitated them, and I was  stung one time  above my left ear, with about 30 of them buzzing around. I ran inside, and the little SOB's kept hitting the screen door trying to get at me.
About 10 minutes later, it hit me. I can only describe the feeling  as a tidal wave overtaking me in slow motion. I started itching all over, I could feel my ears, eyelids, and lips swell, and  I had hives, SUDDENLY, all over  my torso. Fortunately, my throat didn't close up, and I had no trouble breathing.
15 minutes later, all was over.
I called my son, who's house is behind mine, and asked if he had any Benadryl tabs or liquid. He chewed my ass for not calling  sooner, and I replied, "because my cell phone  was out on the porch with pissed-off  hornets!".
I'm 65. Things change as you get older-just ask my girlfriend (sorry, pictures won't load). I've never had a reaction in all my life. The next one could be my last.
I carry an Epipen in warm weather, but they're $275. They expire in 6 months, at which time you throw it in the trash and buy a new one.
Scary stuff.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd guess a red wasp, but in TX, Africanized bees aren't out of the question.   If it's the later, that would be concerning!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip

Baking soda and vinegar is even better as a poultice, works well for stings, poison ivy and such.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'd guess a red wasp, but in TX, Africanized bees aren't out of the question.   If it's the later, that would be concerning!
View Quote

Don't bees leave the stinger, and that little bag of venom, behind?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#43]
So, I'm still around.

The little bump has pretty much gone down to nothing with just a tiny scab. I called my dad over and we went back up there armed with wasp spray and didn't see a thing. Still don't know what it was... There are a lot of dirt dobber nests around the house, but from what I understand those aren't typically aggressive not have I seen them out since the temperature dropped.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Probably a wasp sting.  If you hae some kind of tobacco product moisten said product with spit and apply to sting locations.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

So, I'm still around.

The little bump has pretty much gone down to nothing with just a tiny scab. I called my dad over and we went back up there armed with wasp spray and didn't see a thing. Still don't know what it was... There are a lot of dirt dobber nests around the house, but from what I understand those aren't typically aggressive not have I seen them out since the temperature dropped.
View Quote

As long as nothing bad happens at the sting site, you're fine.  If you start to see a lot of pus or dead tissue there, get thine ass to the docs ASAP.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#46]
My guess is yellowjackets.  I used to live in Texas, and the only time I've been stung twice, it was yellowjackets.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm assuming you're at least over 18...you've never been stung before?  Have you ever sprang your ankle or skinned your knee?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honey Bees do, what I call 'Yellow Jackets', they have a retractable stinger, BASTARDS set it on FULL-AUTO, keep injecting venom.
And they have burrs on their appendages, so they can hold on, whilst they do a venom dump into you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top