Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 12:51:39 AM EDT
Thinking about buying a truck in Canada.  Anybody done it?  How big of a headache is it?

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I imported a milk truck from Canada.

It was a collapsible tanker.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I giggled.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:04:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Easiest way is to get a broker involved. You're going to need DOT and EPA cert paperwork to import. You may need to pay duty depending on make.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thinking about buying a truck in Canada.  Anybody done it?  How big of a headache is it?

View Quote

Found a good deal on Craigs List huh?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Easiest way is to get a broker involved. You're going to need DOT and EPA cert paperwork to import. You may need to pay duty depending on make.
View Quote

Arfcom's resident custom licensed customs  broker here. ;)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:17:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:23:08 AM EDT
[#8]
how old is it?

it its more than 25 years old its easy. If not depends on what it is...

need more info to offer advice
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Uhh....

Most people go the other way (US into Canada), but I guess the low dollar helps that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#10]
A neighbour did it with a chevy truck. I couldn't bring in my 1990 Laser when I moved down.

The safety rules for the particular year of vehicle may be different, and the Canadian vehicle may not meet the US rules for that year.  If it doesn't meet the US rules, you aren't going to get it in. However, as others have pointed out at a certain age of vehicle, its apparently possible to import them anyway.

If you get past that hurdle, you still have things like the odometer is in KM, and no auto mechanic is going to convert it to miles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top