Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/6/2015 12:06:17 PM EDT
Tea Party Republicans contemplating a bid to oust Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) shouldn't count on Democrats to help them unseat the Speaker.

And without their support, there is no chance to topple Boehner in this Congress.

A number of right-wing Republicans, long wary of Boehner's commitment to GOP efforts attacking President Obama's policy priorities, have openly considered a coup in an attempt to transfer the gavel into more conservative hands.

But Democrats from across an ideological spectrum say they'd rather see Boehner remain atop the House than replace him with a more conservative Speaker who would almost certainly be less willing to reach across the aisle in search of compromise. Replacing him with a Tea Party Speaker, they say, would only bring the legislative process — already limping along — to a screeching halt.

“I'd probably vote for Boehner [because] who the hell is going to replace him? [Ted] Yoho?” Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) said Wednesday, referencing the Florida Tea Party Republican who’s fought Boehner on a host of bipartisan compromise bills.

“In terms of the institution, I would rather have John Boehner as the Speaker than some of these characters who came here thinking that they're going to change the world,” Pascrell added.

Liberal Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.) agreed that, for Democrats, replacing Boehner could lead to a worse situation.  

“Then we would get Scalise or somebody? Geez, come on,” said Grijalva, who referenced House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.). “We can be suicidal but not stupid.”

Boehner, who has grappled with dissent from the Tea Party wing since he took the Speaker's gavel in 2011, has seen opposition to his reign grow this year, even as he commands the largest GOP majority since the Hoover administration.

That’s led to talk of a new coup, something that is more difficult to pull off after the election of a Speaker on each Congress’s first day of business.

Any lawmaker can file a motion to “vacate” a sitting Speaker, a move that would force a vote of the full House. The effort would almost certainly fail, as the conservatives would need the overwhelming support of Democrats to win a majority. But it would be an embarrassing setback to Boehner and his leadership team, who entered the year hoping their commanding new majority would alleviate some of the whipping problems that had plagued them in the past.

The new push back against Boehner began in the earliest stages of the new Congress when 25 conservatives voted in January to strip him of the Speaker's gavel.
View Quote

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/234766-dems-would-back-boehner-in-coup-attempt

Maybe Boehner will run as a (D) next time?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
oh, this is rich.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Tells you everything you need to know, doesn't it?

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would the dems work against one of their own?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Dems won't give up their Yes Man.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

this right here
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Imagine that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
....who the hell is going to replace him? [Ted] Yoho?”
View Quote

Um, yeah?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
What a f#cked up situation.  I don't know left from right anymore.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hammer meets nail head.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Just an example of bi-partisan co-operation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Chess not checkers!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
"Surprise, surprise, surprise"  Who couldn't have guessed that one.  And folks ask why I have no faith in our government.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#13]

lol
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hammer meets nail head.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hammer meets nail head.

X 1,000
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I just want to see how the resident GOP apologists spin this one. Since, you know, everything that CAN be done IS being done to thwart Democrat efforts. And those who don't believe that are just naive, politically. So much so, that Democrats want to keep the current leadership in place.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Fucking libertarians
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I'ma get a keg o' beer and some pretzels.  Be right back, lol.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#18]
“In terms of the institution, I would rather have John Boehner as the Speaker than some of these characters who came here thinking that they're going to change the world,” Pascrell added.
View Quote

That about sums up the business as usual mindset Congress operates under.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

No doubt a few chess masters will be along shortly to explain it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
It's just Dems protecting their interests. My shocked face.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
It's been a half hour... no apologists yet? Where are they?  

I want to know what I'm missing here, why this is a good thing for conservative principles and the GOP platform.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
this right here
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this right here

and I am tired of it!!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What a f#cked up situation.  I don't know left from right anymore.
View Quote

Does it really matter anymore? Left wing, right wing- they are both still attached to the same retarded duck.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
The dems will tell you who they fear.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's been a half hour... no apologists yet? Where are they?  

I want to know what I'm missing here, why this is a good thing for (A)conservative principles and the (B)GOP platform.
View Quote

You may pick one from column A OR one from column B. No substitutions, please.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#28]
How many (R)s would have helped to keep old silly-putty face Pelosi in her seat?

What the fuck has become of this country?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Chess not checkers!!!
View Quote

The Republican's are still trying to figure out why the square peg doesn't fit into the round hole.  Checkers would be way too complicated for them at this point, which is pretty sad considering they control both houses.

I've been meaning to write my Republican legislators and let them know that I might as well have voted for their Democrat opposition since we are getting the same policies passed any way.  Now the Dems are backing Boehner which proves my point even more.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#30]
The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy.

FBHO and his supporters.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Chess not checkers!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Boner need to ask himself, how skeletons does he have in his closet and how many people he is pissing off knows about them. Ethics problems have brought down speakers before.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I fucking hate boner
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#35]
n/m

Eta
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Another day.....another example of Alinsky 8
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Grijalva is a communist piece of shit.  That he supports Boehner speaks volumes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's like a parody

but not
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Republican's are still trying to figure out why the square peg doesn't fit into the round hole.  Checkers would be way too complicated for them at this point, which is pretty sad considering they control both houses.

I've been meaning to write my Republican legislators and let them know that I might as well have voted for their Democrat opposition since we are getting the same policies passed any way.  Now the Dems are backing Boehner which proves my point even more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chess not checkers!!!

This current clusterfuck has all but proven out that voting for the "D" against Upton was the right descision.

Haven't seen the vote totals yet, but seeing as how Upton is Boehner's lackey, I'm sure he voted for the clean DHS bill alongside the commies.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tea Party Republicans contemplating a bid to oust Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) shouldn't count on Democrats to help them unseat the Speaker.

And without their support, there is no chance to topple Boehner in this Congress.

A number of right-wing Republicans, long wary of Boehner's commitment to GOP efforts attacking protecting the country from President Obama's policy priorities, have openly considered a coup in an attempt to transfer the gavel into more conservative hands.

But Democrats from across an ideological spectrum say they'd rather see Boehner remain atop the House than replace him with a more conservative Speaker who would almost certainly be less willing to reach across the aisle in search of compromise bend over and grab his ankles. Replacing him with a Tea Party Speaker, they say, would only bring the legislative process — already limping along — to a screeching halt.

“I'd probably vote for Boehner [because] who the hell is going to replace him? [Ted] Yoho?” Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) said Wednesday, referencing the Florida Tea Party Republican who’s fought Boehner on a host of bipartisan compromise bills.

“In terms of the institution, I would rather have John Boehner as the Speaker than some of these characters who came here thinking that they're going to change the world,” might have a spine and give a shit what their constituents think Pascrell added.

Liberal Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.) agreed that, for Democrats, replacing Boehner could lead to a worse situation not getting everything the Dems want.

“Then we would get Scalise or somebody? Geez, come on,” said Grijalva, who referenced House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.). “We can be suicidal (Hmmm) but not stupid.”

Boehner, who has grappled with dissent from the Tea Party wing since he took the Speaker's gavel in 2011, has seen opposition to his reign grow this year, even as he commands the largest GOP majority since the Hoover administration.

That’s led to talk of a new coup, something that is more difficult to pull off after the election of a Speaker on each Congress’s first day of business.

Any lawmaker can file a motion to “vacate” a sitting Speaker, a move that would force a vote of the full House. The effort would almost certainly fail, as the conservatives would need the overwhelming support of Democrats to win a majority. But it would be an embarrassing setback to Boehner and his leadership team, who entered the year hoping their commanding new majority would alleviate some of the whipping problems that had plagued them in the past.

The new push back against Boehner began in the earliest stages of the new Congress when 25 conservatives voted in January to strip him of the Speaker's gavel.
View Quote

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/234766-dems-would-back-boehner-in-coup-attempt

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#43]
The Republicans had their chance all but 25 shit the bed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to say that very thing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Grijalva is a communist piece of shit.  That he supports Boehner speaks volumes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why? He is the model (R).
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Well...if you ever doubted Boner was in their pocket....

What a joke this has all become.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

this right here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this right here

Yep.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top