Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/5/2015 9:19:43 PM EDT

http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/03/04/19-gun-sale-fee-is-constitutional.htm

A $19 fee on every gun sale in California to fund a firearm enforcement program run by the state Department of Justice is constitutional, a federal judge ruled.

U.S. District Judge Lawrence O'Neill ruled Monday that the fee falls outside of the scope of the Second Amendment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Well this doest look good for us and the proposed firearms tax to fund stupid anti bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
So we can tax constitutional rights now? This country is fucked.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I r dumb

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, but you can surf and ski on the same day....or some such nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Argue using degrees of separation and any point can be made.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The only "Constitutional Right" that is not taxable is voting, as it is specifically exempted.

Of course, your logic is what is fucked.  They aren't "Constitutional Rights" to begin with.  They are inalienable rights given by God.  But since the attitude is that a piece of paper grants rights, it is very easy for another attitude - one that holds that those rights can be abridged by paper - to gain traction.

But what the fuck do I know?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So a poll tax is cool too right?

View Quote

No - there is a specific prohibition against poll tax.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Bush appointed this twat too. Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
They should tack on a $19 fee to vote, so that they can fund election enforcement...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#10]
this is fun! Let's see, what else can we tax? Religious expression? Speech? Not being a slave? Women voting? Pay a tax any time you deal with a cop and they don't search you?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The 2A has not been a right for a very long time and likely will never be again.  Want to carry a gun concealed in public in most states?  You need a permission slip from the .gov.  Want to buy guns over state lines?  You need permission from the .gov.

The 2A is now a privilege.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The only "Constitutional Right" that is not taxable is voting, as it is specifically exempted.

Of course, your logic is what is fucked.  They aren't "Constitutional Rights" to begin with.  They are inalienable rights given by God.  But since the attitude is that a piece of paper grants rights, it is very easy for another attitude - one that holds that those rights can be abridged by paper - to gain traction.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Voting should be taxed. People too cheap to pay the tax are better off not voting. Responsible, liberty minded people are much more likely to pay the tax, so, counter-intuitively, we would be freer if it were more expensive to vote.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
U.S. District Judge Lawrence O'Neill ruled Monday that the fee falls outside of the scope of the Second Amendment.

~~~

Under any level of scrutiny, the DROS fee is constitutional because it places only a marginal burden on 'the core of the Second Amendment,'
View Quote

So which is it? Does it fall outside the scope of the 2nd Amendment or not?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#14]
California, at least it's not New Jersey!

Hessian-1
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Paper costs money.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 2A has not been a right for a very long time and likely will never be again.  Want to carry a gun concealed in public in most states?  You need a permission slip from the .gov.  Want to buy guns over state lines?  You need permission from the .gov.

View Quote

what happens when most states get constitutional carry? there are bills proposed in close to 10 states right now on top of the 5 that already have it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
This. Amazing. Total backdoor into a ban. Just make it unaffordable. Brilliant.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Bush appointed this twat too. Unbelievable.
View Quote
Fixed

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Sooo, how long before they add the $19 dollar fee to each newspaper and magazine that is printed?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

what happens when most states get constitutional carry? there are bills proposed in close to 10 states right now on top of the 5 that already have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These judges are running against the current for sure. Generally, judges fall in line when the Federal government clear starts to move in a particular direction. I think if we see the Republicans take over the White House in 2016, and pass some pro-gun legislation, we will see some more favorable court decisions to go along with it. That, obviously, is not the way the system is supposed to work, but it's reality.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]
The judge was bought & paid for.   It's going to appeal.   Fat lady, and all that.

ETA:   This must be a DUPE, since it happened days ago....
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Then you gotta pay $25 for a safety test card so you can purchase a rifle or handgun. It never ends..
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
And another loss in California! What a shocker. I have been criticized for saying I'm hitting the eject button on this state, but I've been here since 1997 and I'm in my 40’s now. Life is passing me by. I have more years behind me than ahead of me, and I'd rather spend them living in a free state than fighting the good fight in the People's Republic. I've served my time, voted, donated, and things have only gotten worse.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a nice gesture but you will still need permission from the .gov to buy a gun from an FFL in those states.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#25]
How is that frog soup coming along, PRK inmates?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]
California never ceases to amaze America.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sooo, how long before they add the $19 dollar fee to each newspaper and magazine that is printed?
View Quote

How about a 19 dollar fee on every Bible sold?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And another loss in California! What a shocker. I have been criticized for saying I'm hitting the eject button on this state, but I've been here since 1997 and I'm in my 40’s now. Life is passing me by. I have more years behind me than ahead of me, and I'd rather spend them living in a free state than fighting the good fight in the People's Republic. I've served my time, voted, donated, and things have only gotten worse.
View Quote

Yep,I went thru the same thing in NY.

Take your vote to somewhere it's useful.At this point,our only chance is to shore up the states that are pro gun and hopefully get a majority at the Federal level.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Cool, bring back the poll tax.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Now just make the tax $100,000 per gun/bullet, and the gun ban is complete. Way to go judge.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Cool, next we can put a tax on free speech, you know, for the speech approval commission.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Excellent!

Let's bring back the Poll Tax.

Edit:  Beat by 2 seconds by a chimpanzee.  

View Quote
That and for property owners only as well......

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Voting should be taxed. People too cheap to pay the tax are better off not voting. Responsible, liberty minded people are much more likely to pay the tax, so, counter-intuitively, we would be freer if it were more expensive to vote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps, but... genius democrats and some others in the South decided to use a poll tax to stop blacks from voting.  This resulted in poll tax being prohibited.  A poll tax has other problems.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Minneapolis Star Tribune Co. v. Commissioner would seem to disagree.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Just one more reason not to live there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Now just make the tax $100,000 per gun/bullet, and the gun ban is complete. Way to go judge.
View Quote

While probably not this drastic, I am betting this decision is clearing the lane for some soon to be dropped legislation that will do something like that.
Say, oh $1 a round "environmental fee" to help save teh earf or something.

They will get to set up a bureaucracy and appoint all their buddies to enforce it. Of course it will magically cost more to enforce then what it takes in, so increases will be needed.

Guess I will say it in every thread. California is going to go apeshit this year on gun legislation. Watch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They should tack on a $19 fee to vote, so that they can fund election enforcement...
View Quote

How about tacking on a fee for abortions to fund right to life programs?  Heads would explode.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Move to a state where an action such as this would result in a politician being assaulted.
Leave Commiefornia to the commies.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Just as constitutional as any of the other shit...

Might as well wipe your ass with it
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#44]
The .gov can only tax transfers (and any other economic activity) that it knows about.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Move to a state where an action such as this would result in a politician being assaulted.
Leave Commiefornia to the commies.
View Quote

Your kids will experience what we're going through now in 1-2 decades.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder if this same court feels that asking for an ID to vote is unconstitutional.

It's almost to the point where I don't give a shit if they flush my country down the toilet or not at this point.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We already have that with lobbyists.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Excellent!

View Quote

It is sad that a monkey can see this and a Federal Judge can't.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excellent!

I don't know about a poll tax, but lets require a poll test. Can we also tax TV and radio for exercising their right to free speech?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#50]
We should tax voting to fund anti-voter-fraud programs.  What?  Wait...  Oh.  We should tax voting to fund voter fraud.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top