Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2015 7:42:47 PM EDT
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/mar/03/san-diego-scientist-clears-haze-medical-marijuana/

When voters passed Proposition 215 in 1996, California became the first state to legalize medical pot. There was only one problem. Scientists still hadn't firmly established marijuana's effectiveness as medicine.
. . .

Some state legislators wanted to change that. They approached UC San Diego psychiatrist Igor Grant.

. . .

Soon, Grant found himself in charge of the new state-funded Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research.

. . .

"Without the state of California saying, 'Yes, we support this work,' we probably would've never gotten federal approval," Grant said.

Grant worked with scientists throughout the UC system to complete a series of small human trials. They sourced their samples from the only federally sanctioned grow operation, a pot farm at the University of Mississippi.

. . .

Grant and his colleagues had to jump through lots of regulatory hoops to pull off the experiments. But once they were done, the findings surprised him.

"I kind of expected, well, we're going to have a few studies that say yes and a few that will say no, and then at the end of the day we'll still be arguing," Grant said. "But in fact every single study showed benefit."

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's either a magical plant or the studies were done by idiots and believed by even bigger idiots.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The legality of it should have nothing to do with it's benefit or detriment.

It should be legal because it isn't the proper role of government decide for you what you should or should not ingest or inhale.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's either a magical plant or the studies were done by idiots and believed by even bigger idiots.
View Quote

So it is "Dr. Silverbulletz06"?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Of course it's tailored to their agenda.  It's the liberal, liar way.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/mar/03/san-diego-scientist-clears-haze-medical-marijuana/

When voters passed Proposition 215 in 1996, California became the first state to legalize medical pot. There was only one problem. Scientists still hadn't firmly established marijuana's effectiveness as medicine.
. . .

Some state legislators wanted to change that. They approached UC San Diego psychiatrist Igor Grant.

. . .

Soon, Grant found himself in charge of the new state-funded Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research.

. . .

"Without the state of California saying, 'Yes, we support this work,' we probably would've never gotten federal approval," Grant said.

Grant worked with scientists throughout the UC system to complete a series of small human trials. They sourced their samples from the only federally sanctioned grow operation, a pot farm at the University of Mississippi.

. . .

Grant and his colleagues had to jump through lots of regulatory hoops to pull off the experiments. But once they were done, the findings surprised him.

"I kind of expected, well, we're going to have a few studies that say yes and a few that will say no, and then at the end of the day we'll still be arguing," Grant said. "But in fact every single study showed benefit."

View Quote

Sounds like the 'global warming' research.  Not that it couldn't be true.  Just that it smells.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds like the 'global warming' research.  Not that it couldn't be true.  Just that it smells.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

Well, they kinda had to do something, what with it being all over the place and everything.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Presumably the subjects had conditions for which there was some evidence that marijuana is therapeutic. If you were trying to determine the effectiveness of aspirin, you wouldn't give it to people with cancer, depression, or sucking chest wounds. You'd give it to people with headaches or fevers and guess what? It would work just about every time. No magic and no idiots.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Of course it's tailored to their agenda.  It's the liberal, liar way.
View Quote

You have evidence that pot is not therapeutic for the conditions involved in the studies?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I knew this thread was started by one of three members just by reading the thread title. I was right
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I read that a guy sucked a horse off after getting high on the pot.

Was he included in this study?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I knew this thread was started by one of three members just by reading the thread title. I was right
View Quote

Don't you just love it when you have stereotypes to hold your world together? Hell, if it wasn't for my stereotypes, I couldn't feel superior to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know. Where do you look for your stories about guys sucking off horses?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Lol-no kidding.

Gotta love that they trumpet this crap at every turn, but it's all about "my medical benefitz, yo".

Yeah, Captain Stoney, you're not fooling anyone.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
seems pot does everything nowadays except get you stoned
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

was posted on this website like a million times.

When I type in "Man smokes weed...." into google, the second recommendation is "...blows horse"
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Presumably the subjects had conditions for which there was some evidence that marijuana is therapeutic. If you were trying to determine the effectiveness of aspirin, you wouldn't give it to people with cancer, depression, or sucking chest wounds. You'd give it to people with headaches or fevers and guess what? It would work just about every time. No magic and no idiots.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alot of people on both sides of the legal/political issue have trouble separating the science from the politics.

Having loved ones with serious conditions that MJ can help with (or being afflicted yourself) tends to cut through the bias, however.  There's been a few arfcommers post their stories in this regard, over the years.  Thankfully, I don't think any of them were arocked for it.

I think for alot of people, it boils down to how they were raised.  They've internalized the position to the point that they've become emotionally invested in it.   "Only red team believes in X.   I'm part of blue team.  Therefore, fuck X."    Most people will not be persuaded from an emotional position by reason alone.  

That said, again, I don't believe it should be legal because it helps people.  Nor do I think it should be illegal because it harms people.   I think it should be legal because a government that can tell you what you're allowed to smoke or eat "for your own good" is big enough and powerful enough to dictate all sorts of things "for your own good."
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No but the horse was.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't care about the supposed benefits of pot, myself. I care about the autonomy of the individual and the growth of government power.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When I type in "Man smokes weed...." into google, the second recommendation is "...blows horse"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if it is second on Google, then it must be true. I still wouldn't click on the link, though. How about you?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't care about the supposed benefits of pot, myself. I care about the autonomy of the individual and the growth of government power.
View Quote

Yeah, this. Oleander will kill you flat out and nobody cares if you eat that stuff.

I just think it's kinda funny that the Govt. claims it has NO medical benefits and then, when they do the research . . . .

But the .Gov can't be wrong. I know that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I always love the pot heads trying to justify this through science
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

No argument there from me, I just find it amusing how much the potheads will try to justify that herb for supposed medical benefits, when we all know they don't give a rat's ass about anything other than the high.

Nick

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish they would legalize it just so we don't have to listen to pot heads extolling the virtues of pot anymore.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Just hurry up and legalize it already.

No desire to smoke teh devil weed, I am just tired of it being used as a rallying cry to get the leftists out to the polls.

That and I would rather deal with 100 potheads then 1 person who is a "nasty" drunk.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It should be legal because it isn't the proper role of government decide for you what you should or should not ingest or inhale.
View Quote

I hate the fact that society seems to skip past this on every issue.  We now have to justify everything with a bunch of studies.  Just like the gun debate-  It shouldn't matter that legal gun ownership makes the country safer.  The government has no fucking right to regulate firearms in the first place.    

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No argument there from me, I just find it amusing how much the potheads will try to justify that herb for supposed medical benefits, when we all know they don't give a rat's ass about anything other than the high.

Nick

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

Talking about marijuana on this website is worse than liberals who have never seen, let alone shot a firearm, talking about if guns should be legal.

"Well I've seen it in movies, it should be illegal, it seemed bad, and like something only trashy unemployed people want."

"Well I knew one guy one time who maybe used one once, and he was a fuck up. Anyone who likes it must be a fuckup"

"Theres no good reason to have any, it never does any good for anyone."

"I FEEL like its bad, so it should be illegal."

" I DONT LIKE IT, no matter what the statistics say about the benefits...."

"Theres no GOOD reason to have any."

Literally every argument I've read on this site, or ever for that matter can be directly extended between either firearms or marijuana. Point to me the health benefit of firearms. Can't? Make it illegal. Point to me the social benefits? Can't? Make it illegal. Don't like it? fine, make it illegal. Oh you can? I don't care, the study was doctored by gun nuts pot heads

No threads out communists who only suck dick for the freedoms they like like pot threads.

Using objects responsibly means owning and using beer, firearms, and marijuana responsibly. If a society keeps any one of the 3 illegal, all of them will be illegal sooner or later. If you don't trust people with a little freedom, you can't trust them with any, and that is exactly the argument that will be used to ban all firearms. You either want freedom or you don't, its really that easy.

I see it now, Hillary in the 2020 election, "These people would not even allow an upstanding citizen, a father who provides, a lawyer with a great job and a loving wife, to smoke a join in their own living room, in the house they had built with the fruits of their hard labor, but they want to keep the means to kill 100s of children in their own living room, with 1000s of rounds of ammunition and baby killing assault weapons. How can you trust such hypocrites, who trample on the common sense freedoms of others, but refuse to abid by the very laws they not only support, but orchestrated?"

There are hundreds of studies that show benefits of firearms. marijuana, but they're all utter bullshit because someone who didn't agree with you wrote them right? The fact that I have to preach that personal responsibility and freedom is a good thing to a gun site probably means we've already lost

Open your eyes and your head enough for just a little bit of logic to get in.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Talking about marijuana on this website is worse than liberals who have never seen, let alone shot a firearm, talking about if guns should be legal.

"Well I've seen it in movies, it should be illegal, it seemed bad, and like something only trashy unemployed people want."

"Well I knew one guy one time who maybe used one once, and he was a fuck up. Anyone who likes it must be a fuckup"

Literally every argument I've read on this site, or ever for that matter can be directly extended between either firearms or marijuana. Point to me the health benefit of firearms. Can't? Make it illegal. Point to me the social benefits? Can't? Make it illegal. Don't like it? fine, make it illegal. Oh you can? I don't care, the study was doctored by gun nuts pot heads

No threads out communists who only suck dick for the freedoms they like like pot threads.

Using objects responsibly means owning and using beer, firearms, and marijuana responsibly. If a society keeps any one of the 3 illegal, all of them will be illegal sooner or later. If you don't trust people with a little freedom, you can't trust them with any, and that is exactly the argument that will be used to ban all firearms. You either want freedom or you don't, its really that easy.

I see it now, Hillary in the 2020 election, "These people would not even allow an upstanding citizen, a father who provides, a lawyer with a great job and a loving wife, to smoke a join in their own living room, in the house they had built with the fruits of their hard labor, but they want to keep the means to kill 100s of children in their own living room, with 1000s of rounds of ammunition and baby killing assault weapons. How can you trust such hypocrites, who trample on the common sense freedoms of others, but refuse to abid by the very laws they not only support, but orchestrated?"

There are hundreds of studies that show benefits of firearms. marijuana, but they're all utter bullshit because someone who didn't agree with you wrote them right? The fact that I have to preach that personal responsibility and freedom is a good thing to a gun site probably means we've already lost

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nick

I'm sure you have some kind of point you were trying to make, but the bullshit trying to make pot equal guns is tiresome and stupid just stop already.

If your points have merit, they will stand on their own-don't try and compare guns and drugs.

Nick

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not Dr, but in medicine and a safe bet that I've read more medical studies then most of the board aside from those that are actual Docs/Medical research.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it must be magic because even aspirin has reported side effects, lack of effect, and so forth. But not pot apparently. Pot comes from the dew that is sweat off a unicorns testicle and has magical properties that fix everything while having no side effect. Hell, smoking becomes a good thing with pot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Pot is great for your health in San Francisco, but on the other hand; in The Great State of California Cotton Bore Mops are scientifically known to cause cancer and birth defects.

Go figure.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Next they are going to tell us that smoking marijuana is as healthy as drinking adequate amounts of water every day.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
seems pot does everything nowadays except get you stoned
View Quote

best post ever.

I heard it cures AIDS and fail.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Next they are going to tell us that smoking marijuana is as healthy as drinking adequate amounts of water every day.
View Quote

No; next they are going to compare it to drinking alcohol.

Then the "pot needles genius" will arrive.

You know how these things go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

This and no I don't smoke pot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Potheads must be the healthiest motherfuckers on the planet.  
The shit cures everything.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Potheads must be the healthiest motherfuckers on the planet.  
The shit cures everything.

View Quote

They still do get sick; but they're so stoned that they just  don't notice or give a fuck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Not a pothead myself but I do like freedom.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Studies like this are more about bad science then "muh freedoms"
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Legalize it, but pill form only.

Should be popular, unless you just want to smoke dope
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is legalized I won't lose any sleep over it but, for god's sake, stop insinuating that it is as good for me as a bowl of fucking oatmeal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well,, there was a thread in GD this morning...

For the record, I know/knew tons of potheads, not one, ever got stoned and sucked off a horse or any other livestock that I know of.  Fat chicks? Yes, but some folks have a fetish for that anyway.  Dude must have had a horse fetish.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If it is legalized I won't lose any sleep over it but, for god's sake, stop insinuating that it is as good for me as a bowl of fucking oatmeal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#45]
I no longer trust science, or the government.  Put them both together and you get what can only be described as super-duper-distrust.  I think that's a scientific term.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#46]
These guys think that because it is green it must be a vegetable and therefore good for you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh look, another pot thread in GD.

Here come the statists..........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top