Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2001 10:49:14 AM EDT
I'm debating on whether to stay in the Army and reclass to a different MOS or try the civilian world. I hate a typical 9-5 job - I've though about Border Patrol, SWAT, SRT, etc. I would go nuts with a job that isn't challenging or involves a lot of paperwork. Any thoughts on civilian options? Or should I go out on a limb and try for SF?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont care what you do in the civilian world, you got it made in the army, stay in and suck up all the retirement benefits you can.  (not to mention that you have the "fringe benifits" of all the ta50 you can sneak out)
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the survivalist. stay in and get 20 years and retire to a life of freedom!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I regretted getting out. I would retire this year. Then get a job and get two incomes.
If you know of a supply sgt that has a conex stuffed with stuff he cant sort out. Do him a favor and ask to clean it out for to inventory.
I got saddled up real nice like that for TA50.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the f-ck out.  Go to school and get a real job.  Stay away from civil service.  Get a professional degree.  Military retirement is good for pocket change; you still have to get a job if you want to survive.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess the key question is how many years do you have in the service? If you have over ten years in then that's a tuff call.  Anything less than ten is a no brainer.

I got out after 2 tours (7 years) and would be retiring next year if I'd stayed in.  I have no regrets.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to go 30 years to get full retirement, now. The only thing that drove me out was the ass kissing of the senior NCOs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If you like the Army, stay in till they throw you out or you will be kicking your butt for the rest of your life. If you dont like it get out.

Wes
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
What is your MOS?
are the officers in general jerks?

why not go get a degree the go back for your commision?

Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
put in your 20 and get a descent retirement, then go civil service. I mean heck, your only in the army, not like it's a hard life or anything.

Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top