Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2001 8:16:43 AM EDT
Anybody out there experienced with these pistols?  This is my one and only handgun.  I realize that it is just a basic 'working class' handgun and not as sexy as lots of other models.  Never the less, I'd like to make a couple of improvements to it if possible.

Question #1:  Anyone out there know how to cure the "gritty" feel -- I would almost call it crunchy -- of the single-action trigger pull?  (I realize that Rugers aren't known for their fabulous triggers)  

This problem is temporarily aleviated somewhat by careful application of grease in a few hard to reach places.  Could a gunsmith fix this condition permenantly?

Question #2: Does anyone make better sights for this pistol?  The factory sights are nice looking but a little dainty and hard to see some times.  I'm not interested in illuminated or luminecent sights -- just quality sights that would be more visible for daytime shooting.

Thanks to all who can help.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Question #1:  Anyone out there know how to cure the "gritty" feel -- I would almost call it crunchy -- of the single-action trigger pull?  (I realize that Rugers aren't known for their fabulous triggers)  

This problem is temporarily aleviated somewhat by careful application of grease in a few hard to reach places.  Could a gunsmith fix this condition permenantly?

Question #2: Does anyone make better sights for this pistol?  The factory sights are nice looking but a little dainty and hard to see some times.  I'm not interested in illuminated or luminecent sights -- just quality sights that would be more visible for daytime shooting.

Thanks to all who can help.  
View Quote

Q1:  Check the local gunshow and phone book for gunsmiths, and call around until you can find someone with some experience in smoothing the trigger. Don't let your buddy help you with this unless he fits this category.

Q2:  Better sights are going to cost almost as much as night sights, so why not save a little longer and get something that can benefit you two way, my opinion.  I know what it's like to have to save for a purchase, seems to make it more valuable for me ;-)

Overall, educate yourself on many options before choosing one 'smith or sight setup.

Good luck,

JC
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
There are hop up parts for the p89 ( brownells I think ) I had a p 85 that I had a triger job done on it was not cheap but it was a 2000 percent inprovment over stock. Ruger makes a good gun I wish I could find another p85. but the prices have went through the roof on them due to the hi caps
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Dry off the lube, abd dry-fire with the off hand applying forward pressure on the hammer.  do abt. 50 of these, then run a couple hundred rounds thru it.  The best trigger job is simply allow some break-in time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top