Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2015 8:36:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Tough call.......but I think you made the right decision.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You could well save someone's life, and that could be me or someone else on here. You made the right decision, and I actually commend you for it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't you do it n the blood mobile? Never seen any of the posted
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Our donor facility is posted as well (not red cross).
The staff is very nice and it's a good cause, so I'm unarmed for two hours a month.

Good job BK1 continuing to donate regardless of the signage.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Well either way..good job
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Our hospital took down the signs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
No need to feel torn. You may have damn well saved someone's life.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Do they do off-site drives?  I'm only at a gallon but I've never donated at the central office.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You do have principles.  One just overruled another.  Nothing wrong with that.  Donating blood is an awesome and important thing to do.  You can't help that the organization tasked with it sucks, but neither can those in need of the blood.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Your principles seem to be lifesaving oriented.  Just because you do it unarmed occasionally doesn't mean you've gone against the armed one.  How do you "patronize" a blood bank anyways?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only ones I've heard of are inside factories, and obviously not open to the public.  I've eagerly watched for some way to donate without going to the RC facility.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they do off-site drives?  I'm only at a gallon but I've never donated at the central office.

The only ones I've heard of are inside factories, and obviously not open to the public.  I've eagerly watched for some way to donate without going to the RC facility.  

They have special RVs around here and they're posted too.  I quit donating when the signs went up.  I was almost to 6 gallons.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]
How is it a crime? Is it a federal building? I donate regularly but have never seen a sign at our donation center but to me the idea of CCW is that nobody knows you are carrying.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't worry about it Dude.

You did it to help someone out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The Red Cross won't take my blood, so their disdain for my rights is pretty much a moot point. Even so, if they changed their policy I'd let them know that my blood is theirs just as soon as they respect the fact that I exercise my freedom.

As it stands, they still don't like me because I might have mad cow disease...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thankfully this is America.  The reality is that someone is more likely to have their life saved by your blood than you are to need your side arm.

Personally, unless the place has metal detectors, I think my desire to aid by giving blood, and my desire to be armed, would outweigh my desire

to obey the law.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank-you for donating blood.
I am sorry for your dilemma which is understandable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I let this thread go to the Archive, but it's a continuation of it.

I just got home from donating blood.  After I said I wouldn't.  Not only have they not changed, but now they have the "legal" sign up (twice!) making it a crime to carry into the building where donations are collected.  

I think of myself as a principled man, and try to live up to the standards I set for myself.  But--

Last week I saw the client I referenced in the thread and she told me she was doing well, and every time she has a transfusion she thinks of me.  I didn't tell her I quit donating.  It's been eating at me since then.

I went to the Red Cross building and walked up to the door.  Then I saw the TWO signs forbidding CCW.  I turned around and walked back to my car, angry as hell.  Then I turned and went back in and donated.  I feel crappy and torn over this.  I guess I'll call the lady and tell her I donated and to get it while it's still warm.  

Put me down for five gallons, plus one unit.  
View Quote

Are all blood banks in Illinois covered by the law?  I know medical facilities are.  I just gave blood in Illinois, but did not notice any signs and I have been looking.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Gave doubles today--pretty girl with gobs of freckles did the work.  Can't wait for them to come back around in may.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck that shit; you done good, OP.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Meh, at least you're allowed to donate blood. I have a disease that's even though it's in remission and barely detectable by the best tests, still won't allow me to donate. I'm pretty rare too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How is it a crime? Is it a federal building? I donate regularly but have never seen a sign at our donation center but to me the idea of CCW is that nobody knows you are carrying.
View Quote

It's not a crime here. In fact I used to work for the Red Cross for years as a phlebotomist. I have had a few people's guns fall out of their holsters while donatining and I promply picked them up and handed them back to them as discreetly as I could. I also carried there sometimes and it was never a problem for ether of us. It's legal to carry at work but I am sure they could of fired me if the wrong people knew I carried but my boss was pro gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an ultra rare blood type.  I used to give, but stopped.  I now am an on call blood donor for blood emergencies at the hospital.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have an ultra rare blood type.  I used to give, but stopped.  I now am an on call blood donor for blood emergencies at the hospital.
View Quote

O- ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

O- ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

O- ?

The rarest blood type is ab+. But those people can accept blood from everybody so th blood is not needed. O- can be given to everyone but it's not all that rare but it's still the one they want most.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I donate every couple months.  I believe it's good for you.

I completely ignore their bullshit no gun signs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I left it in my car's console.  Illinois CCW law has a list of "prohibited places" that are automatic no-gos (almost always posted too) and then anyone in control of a building can post it with a special sign that makes it a crime to enter while carrying.  It does have the force of law in Illinois, and I'm not losing my gun rights over it.  Especially as I waited for over 30 years to get a CCW, and have worked politically for over 20 years.  Keep in mind we only got it because the NRA/ISRA filed a lawsuit we won.  We were the LAST state to get a CCW law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No where in your post does it say you took the gun off. I'm usually so absorbed in my life, I never notice signs like that.

I left it in my car's console.  Illinois CCW law has a list of "prohibited places" that are automatic no-gos (almost always posted too) and then anyone in control of a building can post it with a special sign that makes it a crime to enter while carrying.  It does have the force of law in Illinois, and I'm not losing my gun rights over it.  Especially as I waited for over 30 years to get a CCW, and have worked politically for over 20 years.  Keep in mind we only got it because the NRA/ISRA filed a lawsuit we won.  We were the LAST state to get a CCW law.

Concealed means... well, you know.

Good on you for donating.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Tbk, do you have a rare blood type?
Either way, good on you. I'm not afraid of needles per se, but something about draining my blood makes me uneasy
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#33]
You did the right thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No need to feel torn. You may have damn well saved someone's life.
View Quote

I agree.

You could have possibly done more while stripped of your gun than you will ever get the chance to with it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Thank you from me and my son.

I won't post the picture of my son again in a blood donor thread even though it's the best picture I've ever taken.

-p.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Dude - is this really a fucking issue?

Give blood. It saves lives. I think that takes precedent over how we feel about BS no CCW signs.

ETA - or don't you might save the life of a hippie who is bleeding to death from pot needles by mistake.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#39]
donated today too!...im B+

and we don't have any "no gun" sighs...tbh i have never seen one before lol...must be because im from upstate NY lol
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#40]
I donate 3-4 times a year, usually do the platelet or plasma route if they need it. No CCW signs that I can recall (but then again getting a CCW in RI is near impossible for average joes).

What chaps my ass is the minute I'm eligible to donate again they call...everyday...at all hours of the waking day. Kinda turns me off to whole thing, but still end up going in considering it might help someone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My church has hosted them.  Except I'm a good 2-3 hours away.  Maybe see if any churches in your area do.  Mine isn't posted.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:22:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I guess that's a local thing. I know a couple people that OC while donating here, been doing it so long it doesn't even phase the workers anymore.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Hard to call you wrong for going either way, in the end it's your call and you have to live with it. I flat refuse to to donate (Fuck RC) and it's a decision I can live with.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#47]
You're a good man, no homo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:09:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#49]
I remember the earlier thread, and know that both of these decisions were made with a great deal of concern and deliberation.

As someone who's been transfusing a lot of blood into patients this past year, I give my thanks for your blood donations over the years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Those signs prove that they do not really need the blood as bad a they say they do.

Perhaps when they really do need it they will reconsider discriminating against Americans exercising their innate right to self protection.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top