Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2001 9:15:46 PM EDT
Last Wednesday I picked up the 4"bbl stainless steel version of this model because I had heard so many good things about how reliable these .22's are.

First time out with it I put about 150 rounds through it and probably had about 45 or more ejection failures.  It is safe to say that out of every ten round magazine, I had at least three rounds that would extract from the chamber but hang up in the receiver.

I had Remington and Winchester ammo on hand and had the same prob with each.  I cleaned the bolt and bore.  I inspected both mags to see if the lips were impeding the progress of the ejecting cartridge.  The problem still persisted.

Anyone got any suggestions?  Had similar prob with similar toy?  Come on, someone throw me a bone on this one.  I'll probably ship it back to Ruger for inspection/repair.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah.
Sounds like you might have either a tight chamber, or poor extraction timing.

It is definitley a "Back-To_Ruger" problem.

I know a T_O_N of guys who have those things, and have NEVER! (Believe it or not) had a hiccup.

BigChiefCrappingCattle
(McUZI)
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
thats odd, usually as we all know, ruger makes exelent .22 toys. sometimes wincester can get gummy, try remington "gold" dont worry, gold isnt an expression of its price.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one that would not extract or feed super-x but did fine with power points
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#4]
what does the manual say to use for ammo?
im thinking that maybe with such a short barrel on it, that a low velocity ammo MIGHT have a hard time burning enough powder to push the bolt far enough back to get good ejection. try some high or hyper velocity ammo and see if that helps
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I had similar problems with a TEC-22 that I have.
You HAD! to use Hi-V ammo in order to get a full travel.

But on the 22/45, you should be able to use pretty much anything.
You said you used 2 diff. types of ammo, from 2 diff manufactured, and it still didn't work??

Gun problem.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Ruger KMK678s in 1994 and when I took it to the range, it proceeded to make bananas out of the 22 minimags I was feeding it.  Something wrong with the feed ramp or something.  Very Ugly, lots of lead shaving and this happened every 5 rounds or so.  

I sent it to Ruger through the FFL dealer, Ruger used their Dremel or whatever, and it came back OK.  Still seems to bend the bullets if it's been sitting around unused for couple of months.

That was the first I had heard of the MKII type being a jammatic, and a reputation for reliability was why I bought the Ruger.  Had to happen to me I guess. Other than that, it's a fine target shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top