Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 2:43:26 AM EDT
How about 3D printing a 5 story building?

Moar!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Just waiting for the thread, "hey, look at my 3D girlfriend!" And then the BOTD threads.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if it will collapse faster than a conventional Chinese building...

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/28/article-0-05815B1E000005DC-497_634x528.jpg
View Quote
GD will just hook up two Tacoma's and a Jeep and pull it back into place.

I don't think those piles reached bedrock, were they trying a "Velcro" type method?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:59:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't think those piles reached bedrock, were they trying a "Velcro" type method?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/28/article-0-05815B1E000005DC-497_634x528.jpg

Those piles lack reinforcing steel.  I've done a lot of pile foundation designs, and not one was ever even close to bedrock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:00:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The building seems to be intact, just a piling/footing failure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well theres your problem, the top fell off.  Wanna bet on if they moved people into the other two or not?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That particular failure, believe it or not, was initiated by the large pole of dirt to the right of the building.   Lateral pressures, coupled with unreinforced caissons and weak and saturated soils.

The same setup is evident in the next building back.   Everything was OK until they excavated on the left side of the foundation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That particular failure, believe it or not, was initiated by the large pole of dirt to the right of the building.   Lateral pressures, coupled with unreinforced caissons and weak and saturated soils.

The same setup is evident in the next building back.   Everything was OK until they excavated on the left side of the foundation.
View Quote

I have no idea what that means, but you are obviously a CE or such?  when can you get your kickstarter/gofundme crowdfunding up and running to get 3d printed residences herer in the us?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pilings look shallow to me (as a formwork carpenter) for a 13 story building. Im not a pilebuck but the normal depth of the poured in place pilings Ive seen in sites I've been in were 30-50 deep based on the rebar cages they were sticking in them. High rises and an elevated freeway bridge job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top