Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2015 1:49:13 AM EDT

from: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Appeals-Court-to-Hear-Arguments-on-Maryland-Gun-Control-Law-289185621.html

A federal appeals court has set oral arguments over the constitutionality of a Maryland law banning 45 assault weapons and gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia scheduled arguments in the matter for March 24.

In court papers filed Friday, gun-rights advocates say the law violates the Second Amendment and that a federal judge in Baltimore erred when she upheld the law last summer.
Brian Frosh, Maryland's newly sworn-in attorney general and chief sponsor of the law while a state senator, said Monday that the law passes constitutional muster to protect public safety.

"I think this is a common-sense test,'' Frosh told The Daily Record. "The Second Amendment does not protect assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines. It's certainly
not what the framers of the Constitution intended when they drafted the Second Amendment.''

The law bans 45 assault weapons and high-capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Maryland lawmakers approved the sweeping legislation in 2013 in response
to the December 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The shooting left 20 children and six educators dead, and became a rallying point for gun-control efforts.

(more at above link)
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Frosh is obviously a lying ignorant cunt.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:00:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I get so tired of seeing these drag on forever.
SCOTUS needs to step up & rule that it is a guaranteed right that cannot be infringed in any way just like it is written.
Make it settled law that any bans on firearms, ammo, magazines, or permit restrictions are unconstitutional so that the courts time & billions of taxpayer dollars are no longer wasted on this nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
"I think this is a common-sense test,'' Frosh told The Daily Record. "The Second Amendment does not protect assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines. It's certainly not what the framers of the Constitution intended when they drafted the Second Amendment.''
View Quote

Reminds me of Charles Schumer, 13 years before the DC v. Heller decision:

"Like flat earth fanatics, Second Amendment fanatics just don't get it. Facts are facts. The earth is not flat. And Constitutional law is Constitutional law. The Second Amendment is not absolute. It does not guarantee the mythical individual right to bear arms we will hear argued for today. The gun lobby and its friends in Congress can line up professors of history and law from here to NRA headquarters and back. They can all swear what they think the Second Amendment means, and how many angels can dance on a pinhead. But the settled law is flatly against them."
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol

The framers could have never imagined the Internet either, yet here we are...

Actually, I'm sure they had a pretty good idea that firearms technology was evolving.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"I think this is a common-sense test,'' Frosh told The Daily Record. "The Second Amendment does not protect assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines. It's certainly not what the framers of the Constitution intended when they drafted the Second Amendment.''

"Like flat earth fanatics, Second Amendment fanatics just don't get it. Facts are facts. The earth is not flat. And Constitutional law is Constitutional law. The Second Amendment is not absolute. It does not guarantee the mythical individual right to bear arms we will hear argued for today. The gun lobby and its friends in Congress can line up professors of history and law from here to NRA headquarters and back. They can all swear what they think the Second Amendment means, and how many angels can dance on a pinhead. But the settled law is flatly against them."

that actually makes me a little sick to my stomach reading that...
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SCOTUS needs to step up & rule that it is a guaranteed right that cannot be infringed in any way just like it is written.
Make it settled law that any bans on firearms, ammo, magazines, or permit restrictions are unconstitutional so that the courts time & billions of taxpayer dollars are no longer wasted on this nonsense.
View Quote

The sad reality is that SCOTUS has shown no willingness to take on the 2A issue again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#7]
In MD good luck. You'd have better luck teaching them to drive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet that alone could resuscitate our economy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The sad reality is that SCOTUS has shown no willingness to take on the 2A issue again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Help Us, Justice Roberts, You’re Our Only Hope....

Really? Careful what you wish for.

Quoted:
In MD good luck. You'd have better luck teaching them to drive.

LOL....
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Mean while in the great state of MD I can still buy a stripped lower, ...........cray

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mean while in the great state of MD I can still buy a stripped lower, ...........cray

View Quote

What can you do with it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I think that as a general rule any law of any kind that has such a specific and arbitrary list is probably a steaming pile of shit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please remember that Roberts is compromised.......
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
This is the weasel dick douche nozzle that we are dealing with.. blocked pro guns bills from being heard, tyrannically pushed SB281 through, voted against mandatory minimum sentences for sex offenders (Jessica's Law). Now the new MD AG.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

from: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Appeals-Court-to-Hear-Arguments-on-Maryland-Gun-Control-Law-289185621.html

A federal appeals court has set oral arguments over the constitutionality of a Maryland law banning 45 assault weapons and gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia scheduled arguments in the matter for March 24.

In court papers filed Friday, gun-rights advocates say the law violates the Second Amendment and that a federal judge in Baltimore erred when she upheld the law last summer.
Brian Frosh, Maryland's newly sworn-in attorney general and chief sponsor of the law while a state senator, said Monday that the law passes constitutional muster to protect public safety.

"I think this is a common-sense test,'' Frosh told The Daily Record. "The Second Amendment does not protect assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines. It's certainly
not what the framers of the Constitution intended when they drafted the Second Amendment.''

The law bans 45 assault weapons and high-capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Maryland lawmakers approved the sweeping legislation in 2013 in response
to the December 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The shooting left 20 children and six educators dead, and became a rallying point for gun-control efforts.

(more at above link)
View Quote

Where again in the Constitution does it say anything about public safety?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Txl
View Quote
That about sums it up.  Now that O'Malley is gone, Frosh is probably the man most despised by gun owners in the state of MD.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I encourage everyone who lives in MD to leave, and try not to do business with firms located there. Cut off the statists' source of "revenue," taxes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What can you do with it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What can you do with it?

AR pistol or HBAR.

AR standard profile barrel = baby killer
HBAR = not baby killer
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
AR pistol or HBAR.

HBAR = not baby killer

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What can you do with it?

AR pistol or HBAR.

HBAR = not baby killer

It's fo the chillren!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I encourage everyone who lives in MD to leave, and try not to do business with firms located there. Cut off the statists' source of "revenue," taxes.
View Quote

Well, the source of the liberal power base income is the federal gov. Chop off PG and Montgomery county and MD likely goes solid R
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

They haven't had the opportunity to hear such a case yet.  It will happen though.  Give it time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then take them away from EVERY SINGLE government agent in Maryland, too. Surely they don't need them, either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(more at above link)

Well both intermediate and strict scrutiny review include a review of a state's reasons for infringing a right -- public safety being one such reason or "need" or motivating factor.  The constitution doesn't mention it but neither does it mention judicial review.  They are both part of our common law as it has evolved over centuries of jurisprudence.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well, the source of the liberal power base income is the federal gov. Chop off PG and Montgomery county and MD likely goes solid R
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need to create a new state called "Hellhole", where we combine those two counties in MD with Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria in VA. It would solve so many problems.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
AR pistol or HBAR.

HBAR = not baby killer

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What can you do with it?

AR pistol or HBAR.

HBAR = not baby killer

Because HBAR is so much less of a bullet hose

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did, 3 years ago and will never look back!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well both intermediate and strict scrutiny review include a review of a state's reasons for infringing a right -- public safety being one such reason or "need" or motivating factor.  The constitution doesn't mention it but neither does it mention judicial review.  They are both part of our common law as it has evolved over centuries of jurisprudence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

I would point out that the 2nd Amendment is the only amendment to include the terms "shall not" and "infringe."  Which IMO is stricter language than "make no law."  I would also point out that the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was the right of the people to overthrow a bad government, which will always pose a safety risk to the government, but is still the right of the people.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

(more at above link)
View Quote

I swear, whenever a politician from EITHER side of the aisle says "common sense", I immediately discount whatever they are saying and hear "My opinion counts more than yours so I'm going to violate the law in order to force my agenda down your throat."

Do they teach politicians to say that when they go to politician training?   It's like the first rule they learn.   "If you want to spout bullshit, just call it common sense, whether it is or not."

Retards.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think that as a general rule any law of any kind that has such a specific and arbitrary list is probably a steaming pile of shit.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Too bad the 4th has such a bad record in terms of gun rights. Out of 15 judges that sit on the court 9 of them were appointed by democrat presidents including a chief justice appointed by clinton, and seven of them were appointed by Obama.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Unfortunately, the Fourth Circuit has been all progged up to the point that it rivals the Nutty Ninth.  If you were able to reassemble the Fourth of forty years ago, this would be a tap-in win.  Now, it's a waste of time, except as a necessary step to get a chance to file a writ.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I and most of my friends, 50 years ago, would have lost a bet if someone insisted this country would become so fucked up in the future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

Having testified before Frosh when he was the Judiciary chairman that unilaterally killed any attempt at shall-issue in MD, FPNI.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I and most of my friends, 50 years ago, would have lost a bet if someone insisted this country would become so fucked up in the future.
View Quote
We got screwed back in the 1930's

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

Indeed.

FBF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top