Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 10:55:23 PM EDT
If Ray Stevens had recorded it today instead of fifty-three years ago, would it would result in a fatwa calling for his beheading, or simply a ban from GD by site staff?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If that song ever gets popular again, it might get him killed today.....and surely banned from ARFcom as well

I have it on my IPOD
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sheik of the burning sands.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Maria Muldaur over Ray Stevens anyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2O4Y_sQ98
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that and the General Lee on the roads of Hazard county, pop culture that seemed to exist somehow in harmony in the US.
Now would surely result in rioting and death.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
A young friend mentioned it today. I hadn't thought about it in years, and was shocked that she even knew the song (apparently her folks listened to Ray Stevens when she was really young). Anyway, it brought back really good memories: Guitarzan, Ahab the Arab, Jeremiah Peabody's polyunsaturated quick-dissolving fast acting pleasant tasting green and purple pills... Good times!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't see to many Sambo's restaurants anymore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If that song ever gets popular again, it might get him killed today.....and surely banned from ARFcom as well

I have it on my IPOD
View Quote

Somehow I think the two of us would get along just fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah that and the General Lee on the roads of Hazard county, pop culture that seemed to exist somehow in harmony in the US.
Now would surely result in rioting and death.
View Quote

It's mind-blowing how even common, every-day words now are considered racist, or sexist, or homophobic, or offensive to somebody who's looking to force their opinion or lifestyle on somebody else, or simply start a fight. The poster above mentioned Sambo's restaurant - it makes me wonder how much longer Bob's Big Boy will be in business before some tubolard sues them over depicting an overweight person escaping with a tray full of food.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top