Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 9:16:37 PM EDT
I need help.

A lot has changed since my old wardriving days and the early releases of DD-WRT....

I need a new wireless AP or router that will not randomly lock up, run dog slow, and otherwise make me want to take it to the next hometown shoot and document the effects of APIT on networking equipment.

Clients include Fire TV, Apple TV, Samsung TV, a few Macbooks, a couple of iPads, iPhones, older 802.11g wireless AP's in bridge mode for network segments that are not wifi, and a Android based phone.... so it needs to support dual (or more?) band concurrently.

Netgear R7000 or something else?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Netgear and Asus get good reviews. I have an older Cisco E series running Tomato but my useage is pretty light.

Check in the Urban Commandos section too, Ubiquiti gets a lot of likes in there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
pfSense router on an older PC, and a Ubiquiti Unifi AP. Absolutely bulletproof.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
ASUS RT-N66U

I've run this since Dec 2012.

Quickly looking at my current client list, I have 17 devices with IP addresses assigned right now.
On both a gigabit wired home and wireless combined.
2 TV's, xbox, macbook air, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 3 blurry players, a Apple Time Capsule, a second wireless access point, etc.

Haven't had any trouble, ever.
It has 4 wireless guest networks with time restrictions, separate passwords, etc.
Parental controls based on the users device MAC address.

Lots of other stuff I haven't used, for gamer priority, port forwarding, whatever.

Best router I ever had.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
WRT1900AC
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Ubiquiti AP

Since you like Amazon

link
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Ubiquiti gear.  solid, great price
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm always concerned about security, so I try to focus on one that's U.S. designed and made. Tough to find.

I have settled on a Sonicwall TZ215w firewall instead of a router, because it's well rounded, and has a lot of features, but it's pricey. Well thought out with good features. Runs a little hot.

Some of the stuff I see from other vendors like Watchguard and Sophos are a nightmare from an foreign ownership or top level employee standpoint.
But it's difficult to overcome given the global economy.  Someday, everything will phone home to the mothership and give away everything I guess.

Yes! I'm paranoid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top