Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 7:31:09 PM EDT

I’m a girl with a fro, raised in the place once known as “Chocolate City.” I grew up part of a black nuclear family, was home-schooled, then became part of of the mini-Historic Black College Experience at Temple University. After arriving in New York, I became an intern at Essence, a magazine so safe I likened my boss to an aunt. Those settings were as comfortable as my grandma’s cooking on any given Sunday.

I longed to crawl back to my tiny black universe. A place where I could create a sense of peace, identity and acceptance, a place where I could sit there, trying to untangle my fro and make sense of what it means to be an African-American woman in this country, rehashing our history while facing present pain. But life happens, and most of us can’t stay in our own utopias forever.
View Quote

I was tired of catering to everyone else’s comforts. How much of my day-to-day experiences as a black woman do I have to filter? I replace “hey girl” with boring hellos. I eat my leftover fried chicken outside the office. In order to have some common point of identifiable communication, I pretend to care about Taylor Swift, or white movie stars on their I’ve-lost-count remarriages and those other white pop stars I could not care less about. “Oh yeah, she’s cute,” I tell them. “Yeah, that’s cool.”
View Quote

I don’t want to ignore my rage, but I don’t want to be controlled by it either. Concealing my emotions has made me feel like a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off.
View Quote

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/20/im_tired_of_suppressing_myself_to_get_along_with_white_people/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
fuck her and all like her
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]

"I pretend to care about Taylor Swift, or white movie stars on their I’ve-lost-count remarriages and those other white pop stars I could not care less about."

meanwhile, we'll go on pretending to care about YOU.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
But the media will tell us that she is not a racist.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]

I was tired of catering to everyone else’s comforts. How much of my day-to-day experiences as a black woman do I have to filter? I replace “hey girl” with boring hellos. I eat my leftover fried chicken outside the office. In order to have some common point of identifiable communication, I pretend to care about Taylor Swift, or white movie stars on their I’ve-lost-count remarriages and those other white pop stars I could not care less about. “Oh yeah, she’s cute,” I tell them. “Yeah, that’s cool.”
View Quote

I agree with this part.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I know it's been said, but it bears repeating.

DUPE
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree with this part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree with this part.

Maybe she'd be happier in a different kind of arrangement. You know, kind of separate, but equal, where she wouldn't have to bump elbows with white people.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Good. I'm tired of suppressing my white rage in order to function in a society now full of PC pussies that are so afraid of hurting someone's feelings, they allow others to shit all over them for no fucking reason.

I guess we are even

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
IBTL,
Just upping my post count!
Thanks  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't want my dupe rage to build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top