Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 7:16:27 PM EDT
I know there are different forms of this, and that some manufacturers have been more successful than others.

What are the different approaches, what works, what doesn't, and is it worth it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know there are different forms of this, and that some manufacturers have been more successful than others.

What are the different approaches, what works, what doesn't, and is it worth it?
View Quote

It makes a fully loaded 5000lb+ pound v6 Honda Odyssey get 30mpg on the highway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Cadillac pioneered it. 8-6-4.

It didn't work very well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
My 2005 dodge magnum 5.7l had cylinder deactivation.

If I was sensible I could get 22mpg all day long on the highway. Otherwise it was 15mpg.

Deactivation occurred when the car was in 4th or 5th gear, steady throttle and I think it was 40mph or above.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Just had the AFM camshaft replaced on my 2011 silverado @ 75k miles. Dealer rep said that issues with them were pretty common.

That and the cylinder deactivation only really seems to work if you stay out of the throttle completely several seconds at a time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cadillac pioneered it. 8-6-4.

It didn't work very well.

View Quote
So true..I worked at a GM dealership back in 1981.. it was a very low water

mark time for GM.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's a stopgap.

I have a newer chevy V8 with it and an older Chevy V8 without it. Curious to see if any issues arise on the newer V8, we shall see.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think it's a stopgap.

I have a newer chevy V8 with it and an older Chevy V8 without it. Curious to see if any issues arise on the newer V8, we shall see.
View Quote

AFM kills lifters.

Do a DOD delete, imho. The 5.3L is plenty efficient without it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

AFM kills lifters.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's a stopgap.

AFM kills lifters.

I've heard the 5.3s have had problems related to this, but I've heard it has something to do with oil usage.

Do other engines have issues related to cylinder deactivation?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've heard the 5.3s have had problems related to this, but I've heard it has something to do with oil usage.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's a stopgap.

AFM kills lifters.

As far as I know, all the Gen IV's that use AFM have either oil consumption and/or lifter problems.  FWIW it seems that the folks that are having problems aren't following maintenance routines, but there are some low-cost AFM deletes out there that basically just turn it back into a non-AFM variant.

As it relates to other engines, I have zero knowledge about the robustness of their cylinder deactivation systems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top