Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 7:04:31 PM EDT
So I signed up for a class called Dumb White Guy cinema.

Didn't find much on it as it's one of those special topic classes taught by different people each time, but from the sound of it, it sounded like a class to discuss Super Troopers and Dumb and Dumber.

Nope....turns out it is Dumb White Culture and Politics taught by someone that seems to have written the book on White Guilt.   First class I ever got up and walked out of in the first 5 minutes.

I dropped it and replaced it with a tame history class: African American Pop Culture.

Will probably drop it depending on if I can squeeze into another class I really want but is full.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Classes like this represent what's wrong with college education today.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
the fact that there exists a class with that name is quite disturbing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Look on the bright side; it appears you have more leeway in your choice of fucked up "culture" general studies requirements than some schools.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
God I hope I dont have to waste my GI Bill on shit like that next year.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Some one should make a white kid gif screaming "that's racist."
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What about the students who choose to take them, trying to get an easy grade instead of actually trying to learn something useful?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The best class I ever heard of was Wheelchair Athletics. Childhood friend was on an athletic scholarship (star lacrosse player) but he was not that sharp. He and many other athletes took it to get their GPA's up so they could continue to play. They wheeled around the gym shooting hoops.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't seen classes that look that retarded at my school thankfully.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Yup.

I thought "Discreet Mathematics"  would be an easy A math elective.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. The whole system is fucked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What about the students who choose to take them, trying to get an easy grade instead of actually trying to learn something useful?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about them? That these classes exist is a problem....that people take them looking for an easy way out is symptom, not the problem.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
You thought a college class would involve sitting around talking about goofy comedies for fun?

I don't know what that class involves specifically, but there should have been no question that it would focus on modern pop culture expression of race and gender.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What about them? That these classes exist is a problem....that people take them looking for an easy way out is symptom, not the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is the existence of such a class a problem?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Part of a Criminal Justice class I am taking dealt with the Darren Wilson case. During an online discussion (required), the topic inevitably degraded into an argument over racism.

I had to end my participation in the discussion when another student claimed our current racial tensions stem from the fact that today's black youth were raised by freed slaves.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You thought a college class would involve sitting around talking about goofy comedies for fun?  

I don't know what that class involves specifically, but there should have been no question that it would focus on modern pop culture expression of race and gender.  
View Quote

Never heard of "Comic Book Appreciation 101" as an English elective?  A no shit course offered at some schools back in the 1970s when all this bullshit started.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
And this is why most 4 year programs are a joke.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup.

View Quote

Our campus has an extracurricular course on that:

First, take a $150, go buy you an eight ball. Flip the eight ball, you gonna make 300 off that. Take the 300, get you a quarter. Take the quarter ounce, flip that. Now go get you a half ounce, flip that. Take the half ounce money, flip the half ounce money. Now you ready for a ounce...You got a quarter ki now! Now everybody in the neighborhood got on new air jordans and walkie-talkies. Everybody is working for you, and you you're doing your thing and everything.

I also suggest taking discreet Spanish 201: "Yo quiero estar un narcotraficante Colombiano. Los cucarachas fumando marihuana. Buscando una fiesta y un kilo de cocaina."

Or did you mean discrete math
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I took a gender studies class thinking it was going to be about lesbos and dildos. It kind of was, but the main purpose of the course was to bash white males. White privilege and making 23% more than wimmenz, because they have a penis. Additionally, all white males are C average students; this makes the income disparity even moar unfair.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

First, take a $150, go buy you an eight ball. Flip the eight ball, you gonna make 300 off that. Take the 300, get you a quarter. Take the quarter ounce, flip that. Now go get you a half ounce, flip that. Take the half ounce money, flip the half ounce money. Now you ready for a ounce...You got a quarter ki now! Now everybody in the neighborhood got on new air jordans and walkie-talkies. Everybody is working for you, and you you're doing your thing and everything.

I also suggest taking discreet Spanish 201: "Yo quiero estar un narcotraficante Colombiano. Los cucarachas fumando marihuana. Buscando una fiesta y un kilo de cocaina."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Hay! The entire College of Engineering at my university never offered a single spelling class! Not my fault yo.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Never heard of "Comic Book Appreciation 101" as an English elective?  A no shit course offered at some schools back in the 1970s when all this bullshit started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, that could be a very effective course.

I used to teach history courses.  During the first class of each semester, I asked the students to raise their hands if they liked history.  About a third did - most because they thought I expected them to.  I would laugh and tell them that it was a trick question.  Everyone likes history . . . when it is about a topic they love.  A problem is that most of their experiences in history classes involved dry memorization of names and dates.  That isn't true historical study.  Take a topic you like -- sports, guns, cars, space travel, etc. -- and you will enjoy learning about its history.  History is everywhere.

Many professors use this approach to impart the skills and education of their field by giving the students a "fun" topic.  One history professor I knew taught a class called "History of Baseball."  It was wildly popular.  It was also an excellent class to learn about 19th and 20th century American history and culture.

Comic books could provide an excellent platform for studying principles and skills of English.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  College education has become indoctrination, and a racket to boot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I had to take some bullshit like that at UCONN.

The class was pro-black, pro muslim, and pro indian.  I was white so I just pushed my estranged jewish heritage and tried as best I could to make some kind of relevant story about being 'oppressed' and singled out.

It was literally show and tell feel goodery about being a minority.  Lots of UCONN's basketball players were in that class that I took.  We found out in that class that many of them could not read and the ones that could read did not read well.

The person teaching the class was 'undergoing a PHD' and was not a PHD holder, and her brother was shot and killed while being a drug dealer.  It was a classic 'he was a good kid he just did the wrong thing!'

Kid was probably a shit bag.  Guess what, I didn't have fucking any money when I was younger either, but I sucked it up and dealt with it.  I didn't sell drugs or rob people to get ahead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top