Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 5:19:27 PM EDT
Local store has one of those 50th Aniversary Design Contest 10/22s. These are the ones with the stock that can be shortened, stainless barrel and receiver. ghost ring sights, rail for an optic, and threaded barrel with flash hider/muzzle brake.

Right now I plan to leave it mainly as it is and either get a cheap 22lr scope or red dot to plink with.

There are two things I am thinking of getting:

1  is a cap for the barrel - I think the brake/hider it comes with is ugly and unneeded.  Anyone know where I can get one?

And 2, I have a Mark II with some Volquartsen trigger parts and the trigger is just awesome. I assume their parts for the 10/22 are good to go? Any recommendations there?

I don't want to make this a $1000 custom job with a bull barrel and shit - just a nice plinker with a good trigger. But maybe there is something I am not thinking of.

OH and of course some of those large mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The factory BX ruger trigger upgrade is sweet. Got mine a few weeks ago, shot at least 1000 rounds with it in my takedown, and standard 10/22's.

I highly recommend it. It was $70, well worth it IMO
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
BX-25's and a can...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd grab a few of those BX 25rd mags and plenty of ammo when you can find it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy two and get the gattling gun conversion
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
bring it to your shoulder and make sure the barrel is on correctly. I have seen a few factory guns that were built poorly
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to save some cash the Volquartsen target hammer upgrade is well worth it.  Only about 35$ or so and makes the trigger much better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if they changed the mag release but the stock one isn't great. It works but it's not AR15 level of ease, Volquartson or however it's spelled makes a really really nice aftermarket trigger with a good release too. The 25 round mags are of course needed for optimal plinking fun
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll sell you some bulk packs of Golden Bullets, only $75 a box.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy two and get the gattling gun conversion
View Quote

had the chance to buy one with 2 10/22s already in it for less than the price of just the conversion kit
I looked up the conversion to check the price before I bought it and it was sold seconds later

I still kick myself for that
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Auto bolt release mod and Kidd trigger. Could send the barrel & bolt off to be worked on, more info over on RFC.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Aftermarket mag release

Bolt release mod

Some type of aftermarket trigger

Ruger 25 rd mags
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#14]
KIDD bolt Buffer, replaces the steel pin.
Smooths the action down considerably and makes its significantly quieter.
Get the barrel block with the Allen tension screw built in. makes a pretty good increase in accuracy.

Polish the inside of the receiver and the bolt.
Radius the back of the bolt where the hammer rides.
install a claw titanium extractor.

Surface the bolt face to make sure it evenly seats against the barrel.
Polish Everything inside that receiver and shim anything loose.

These are very cheap mods that significantly improve the 10-22.

My fav optic for a 10-22 is the 2.5x redot from primary arms. its perfect for the distances 80% of ppl shoot the 10-22.

Pro tip. Get yourself a Airsoft MP5 multi mag pouch. they hold BX25 mags perfectly.
I have a cpl. that have the molle strap on back, they are very easy to slip over your belt and hip carry 4 mags while plinking in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
KIDD bolt Buffer, replaces the steel pin.
Smooths the action down considerably and makes its significantly quieter.
Get the barrel block with the Allen tension screw built in. makes a pretty good increase in accuracy.

Polish the inside of the receiver and the bolt.
Radius the back of the bolt where the hammer rides.
install a claw titanium extractor.

Surface the bolt face to make sure it evenly seats against the barrel.
Polish Everything inside that receiver and shim anything loose.

These are very cheap mods that significantly improve the 10-22.
View Quote

This plus a trigger, and a good mag release. From there some good glass.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you want to save some cash the Volquartsen target hammer upgrade is well worth it.  Only about 35$ or so and makes the trigger much better.
View Quote

This, a tuffer buffer (or similar) and the DIY auto bolt release mod and shot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]
As some others have said...with a few brands.

Recoil buffer- Volquartsen, Buffer Tech or Wilson Combat
Bolt release - Power Custom or Volquartsen
Target hammer - Volquartsen or Power Custom
Better barrel - Volquartsen, Green Mountain, Tactical Solutions, Keystone Arms, ER Shaw and others
Stock upgrade - Boyds or Keystone Arms Revolution
Magazines - Ruger factory mags
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#19]
My 10/22 is near worthless it is so inaccurate.  I must have gotten a lemon because a lot
of people really like them.  Anyway......

I did the Volquartsen hammer.  Lighter trigger and still a lot of creep.  I checked out the new
BX trigger at the fun store today - they're in a package where you can test the trigger pull
without opening it - and I have to say that if I had it to do over again I would have skipped
the Volquartsen hammer and went straight to the BX trigger.  The one I tried had very little
creep, just a nice crisp break - WAG would be 4lbs maybe.  Really felt nice.

If you get a high cap mag get the Ruger stuff.  Lot of aftermarket junk for the 10/22.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
ammo, if you want find it
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My 10/22 is near worthless it is so inaccurate.  I must have gotten a lemon because a lot

I did the Volquartsen hammer.  Lighter trigger and still a lot of creep.  I checked out the new
BX trigger at the fun store today - they're in a package where you can test the trigger pull
without opening it - and I have to say that if I had it to do over again I would have skipped
the Volquartsen hammer and went straight to the BX trigger.  The one I tried had very little

If you get a high cap mag get the Ruger stuff.  Lot of aftermarket junk for the 10/22.
View Quote

You can send it to me
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is your take down screw too long and hitting the barrel?

Check your headspace as per the photo above.

Here is a great link to a publication that might be able to help you out. http://easy1022modifications.com/

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here is another site for some ideas that might help out... http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

1  is a cap for the barrel - I think the brake/hider it comes with is ugly and unneeded.  Anyone know where I can get one?
View Quote

Like this?

I would also recommend the Volquartsen hammer, if you have any degree of mechanical aptitude you can have a trigger almost as good as their drop-in pack for a fraction of the price.  I also recommend Tech Sights but as you said the 50th anniversary model comes with a peep sight so you can skip that one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll check the take down bolt. Hadn't heard that one before.

I did go to rimfirecentral for advice and nothing worked for my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#26]

A .22 suppressor.

And a Norrell pack.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not sure if they changed the mag release but the stock one isn't great. It works but it's not AR15 level of ease, Volquartson or however it's spelled makes a really really nice aftermarket trigger with a good release too. The 25 round mags are of course needed for optimal plinking fun
View Quote

I believe the new 10/22's come with an extended mag release as standard equipment. If it does have the flush push in style release I agree it should be trashcanned and replaced with the lever.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Must upgrades:
Bolt release: buy one or do it yourself
Trigger: Kidd drop in all day long and worth it.  Polish the trigger plugger helps lighten the trigger even more.
Polish the internals inside the receiver and the bolt.
Kidd guide rod and spring set.
Kidd extractor
Cap for your barrel: suppessor

Just go to Kidd's website and drool.

My 10/22 was the same thing; just a few must haves and now the only thing left is the original Ruger receiver. The rest is Kidd and far more accurate than me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Must upgrades:
Trigger: Kidd drop in all day long and worth it.  Polish the trigger plugger helps lighten the trigger even more.
Kidd extractor

My 10/22 was the same thing; just a few must haves and now the only thing left is the original Ruger receiver. The rest is Kidd and far more accurate than me.
View Quote

Go to Kidd's site and spend. He got about $1200 of my cash this past year. Got two kick ass 10/22's i haven't shot .
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Must upgrades:
Kidd extractor

View Quote

Go to Kidd's site and spend. He got about $1200 of my cash this past year. Got two kick ass 10/22's i haven't shot .
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#31]
So far I am ear marking 2 of those BX mags.

And a volquartsen kit with the target hammer and bolt release.

Any idea what the thread is on those barrels? I found some caps, but Ruger took down the info on this gun on their site.

ETA think I found the threads - 1/2"-28 thread flash suppressor
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Trigger, threaded barrel, can, ammo, mags, glass (optional).

I enjoy shooting my 10/22s at least as much as my ARs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Only mods I have done to mine is Tech Sights and a bolt buffer. Added a 1" GI web sling also. I usually shoot it at 25 yds or so and I get groups around 0.5"-0.75".
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll check the take down bolt. Hadn't heard that one before.

I did go to rimfirecentral for advice and nothing worked for my rifle.
View Quote

Here is another really good thread about a guy who purchased 2 and did some testing.... One guy testing two 10/22's
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks interesting

http://loadoutroom.com/13346/timney-1022-trigger-first-impression/
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:57:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Nothing, Stock is best.

If you must get a factory full stock or a target barrel if you want to be different but I prefer them stock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone mentioned the most awesome upgrade? Red Jacket bullpup?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:15:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I have one like this

WallyWorld Special
great gun
did a few mods, auto bolt release, plastic buffer, mag release, cheap 4x scope
almost boring......20" barrel I think, gets a lot of use
paid $250
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:17:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Check out the Ruger Target Tactical. It has everything out of the box and is a tack driver. The heavy barrel rocks. My favorite gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Preferably one that doesn't have canted sights and won't hold zero.  

Ruger's QA has taken a nose-dive on some of their Takedowns - have to send mine back for this very reason as have others.  Just look closely at the sights and rear receiver to make sure the dovetail isn't cut wrong.  10/22s are awesome BTW  - I have two - but not impressed with the last one I purchased.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Polymer bolt buffer
Hogue overmolded stock
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#42]
The stock change was a great idea that was long overdue....But it's still a newly made 10-22. Look it over real good before you buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top