Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 4:54:57 PM EDT
Mortars, "pack howitzers" and other types of "pocket arty" have always fascinated me.

I know quite few folks here have either used mortars, or have had them used in support of themselves, or otherwise seen what they can do.

How much pain do the rounds bring?  In particular the 120mm round that apparently is now "guided munition" capable.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Mortars, "pack howitzers" and other types of "pocket arty" have always fascinated me.

I know quite few folks here have either used mortars, or have had them used in support of themselves, or otherwise seen what they can do.

How much pain do the rounds bring?  In particular the 120mm round that apparently is now "guided munition" capable.

Thanks.
View Quote
Good enough for Kim Jong Un.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Touche'
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
60mm HE have a 10m kill radius.
It's like horshoes, close counts.
120mm?  Fughettaboutit.  
People tend to stop fighting when IDF comes their way.  If you don't already have a nice hole, you'll see guys start digging with their keys if that's all they have.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

120mm?  Fughettaboutit.  

People tend to stop fighting when IDF comes their way.  If you don't already have a nice hole, you'll see guys start digging with their keys if that's all they have.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

120mm?  Fughettaboutit.  

View Quote
Truth...nothing makes your asshole draw up and ready to unass the AO like indirect.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Shake and bake!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay cool.

I'm having one of those "probably should have had that last concussion checked out by a doctor" moments....

The XM395 is up and running, right?  Turns the 120mm mortar round into a laser-or-GPS guided weapon.  Basically designed to fall from altitude and blow shit up.

How hard would it be to convert into a air-droppable CAS weapon?  Instead of launching it from the mortar, remove the propellant charge, add mounting/release hardware.

The shell weighs what, about 30 pounds?  Something like a Reaper or Predator should be able to carry a SHITLOAD of them... and drop them way closer to friendly forces (or noncombatants) than even the smallest JDAM.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Truth...nothing makes your asshole draw up and ready to unass the AO like indirect.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
120mm?  Fughettaboutit.  

Hell, even the sim arty rounds make guys act real fucking weird.  I think they may have been exposed to the real thing and it's impossible to not react.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
We always had a 60mm mortar system on patrol with us in Afghanistan. When those things start dropping, the bad guys usually stop shooting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
This former 0341 thinks they work pretty damn well
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
People that don't unass usually die or get all fucked up.

As far as you air dropped idea. Mortar tubes are way cheaper than any aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People that don't unass usually die or get all fucked up.

As far as you air dropped idea. Mortar tubes are way cheaper than any aircraft.
View Quote

Yeah, not talking about replacing the tubes by any stretch.  More like arming CAS assets with something more suited to, well, CAS..

Sure mortars are cheaper than drones, but radios are even cheaper than that, and a hell of a lot easier to carry.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top