Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 3:10:56 PM EDT
So, there was an attempted login to my Gmail account a week or two ago from an IP address seemingly located near Chicago. However, the IP address belongs to Sprint PCS (my carrier is a Sprint MVNO), and the phone used to login was similar (could be exact same model number, but I'm not sure) to my own phone. It looks like the login was blocked by 2-factor authentication.

Could the IP address simply have been reassigned in the last week or two, or is the location data just that useless? If so, I suppose there's a chance it was me, I just don't recall it. Think it was actually someone trying to break in? Anyhow, I changed my password. I wish Google (an other providers) would give details of every login, successful or not.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
those numbers are reused in minutes. IP location technology is worthless. Google will show you your active sessions.

click
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
So this activity log shouldn't mean much? My HTC phone is listed as "HTCEVOV4G" everywhere else in account settings and logs.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Simply put, the IP Address of a cell phone(or any mobile device) is useless to determinate it's location.

Edit: Open DNSstuff.com from the browser on your phone. It will show your public IP address and the location of that address.  Disable wifi before you do else you'll get your local network info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top