Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:54:17 PM EDT
I'm seriously thinking about buying one after johnnypantz turned me onto them.

I've rode lots of dirtbikes and a Triumph TT600 that scared me a bit. I've always wanted a supermoto Honda or Yamaha 450 but I don't think I would like the maintenance on them. I've rode a buddy's YZ450F on dirt and it was a beast. I'd love to have power like that on the street but again maintenance is a killer with frequent oil changes, valve adjustment, etc.

I think the Grom would be fun, cheap and easy to work on and upgrade. I could even ride it to work through back roads. The 14's are going for $2899 new here.

Anyhow, tell me about them some more and post pics.

Update 2

Rode 104 miles yesterday. Barrels of fun.

Had a small run in with the fuzz lol.

Copied from facebook.

So I got proned out by Bham PD today.

I'll tell ya about it. Started my journey to Bham from Pell City on the Honda Grom. Yeh its basically a monkey bike with some cool features but street legal. Tops out at 60-65 mph, so I took backroads to Bham. Really wanted to see what kind of commute time I was looking at for the 30 miles. Normally in my car is about 30 minutes on the interstate. I figured about an hour on the Grom gassing through the backroads.

I tear out from the house this morning. 30 degrees. Hands numb at about the halfway point. Oh well push through it.

Make it about 20 miles into it and am finally starting to hit the downtown traffic. Which means I have some time at redlights to warm my hands. I pass by a couple of cops sitting in a parking lot chatting, or checking facebook, eating donuts, or whatever they do.

No prob. Scoot along. I'm accelerating from red lights so fast I'm smoking the unsuspecting Accord to the next red light. Green light, all gas. Red light, gas gas... ok all brake. You get the pic.

Got my earbuds in blairing some Black Francis. Cutting up traffic like I have something to prove on this monster monkey bike. Full throttle over the hill as I pass a Camry while in a deep lean through a curve.

Sirens! Hmmm. I don't see any amber lamps. Back to the fun.... Sirens again. I hear it vaguely but still see nothing. Ok whatever, back to blasting down this sweet two lane just thinking of how cool it is to pull on a Chevy pickup. Yeahhh. Gas gas gas....

Oh here is a Bham Cop rolling up beside me with his lights on. He's pointing at me and signaling me over. Ok fair enough. No tag yet so I understand. I pop a blinker his direction and get over in front of him and then pull off at the turn lane in the median. Dont know why I did that but it seemed like the safest option at that point.

I come slamming to a stop (thing has awesome brakes). I'm figuring yeh show him my bill of sale and insurance and I'll be on my way. No prob.

Trying to find neutral as I fiddle around clicking from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st. Not sure why it was such a problem as I routinely managed to upshift neutral while trying to look like a boss in front of a soccer mom.

Click.. click.. shit. Click.. cli....
Somebody has my hand. No I need to hold that clutch in bro. (Bike stalls and walks about 2 feet) Ok now I'm in cuffs. I step off asking what is going on as if I could actually hear what they're saying with my earbuds still plugged in and blairing.

Face shoved into a Ford Edge hood. These things aren't even like real cop cars and I know what a Crown Vic's headlights look like a mile away, but this thing? Nahhh thats like cheating or hunting over bait or something.

After the nice officer pulls my helmet off, I hear "why didn't you pull over?" I tell him "what are you talking about? I did pull over" as he replies, "No we thought you were trying to run. We've been behind you for 3 miles"

Well damn. "I pulled over as soon as I saw you. And while you're checking my pockets I have a Glock 19 at 6 o clock"

He dives in straight for that as my hands were pretty much resting on it. At this time there is about 6 other Bham PD cars pull up and blocking the whole left lane of a 2 lane highway over a glorified pit bike stop.

He hands the pistol to his blonde woman partner, as I tell him I also have a knife in the front right pocket, knife on my back pack, and a spare mag in my chest pocket. She clears the weapon as he searches for more weapons. She points to the serial number engraved on the barrel and asked if this is where the serial number on "these is" while looking at her partner and me. Partner is busy, so I say "yes, it's also under the rail" as she has gotten bored with it at that point and starts unloading the mag. I guess she thought bullets would stay put on a Ford Edge 35 degree hood as my precious Speer Gold Dots roll off into the ground.

She picks the gun back up and asks "is this a 9" I just kinda roll my eyes. Again she exclaimed "Is this a NINE?" I politely say "yes ma'am and it is also printed on the slide" Not like she would notice that all the rounds she unloaded also have a thing called headstamps which tell you the caliber and manufacturer usually.

Another cop says "damn boy you are armed to the teeth" Thinking to myself "I totally forgot my 30 round mags, I meant to throw those in my backpack" but instead I say "Well when you've had somebody try to kill you before..." They all kinda stop and smirk and glance down at their belts and nod.

After I was cleared of any outstanding warrants. The #copchick hands me back my 19 with the slide locked open. Puts the empty mag and loose rounds in my jacket pocket, and hands me back my other full mag. I was like yall either trust me or are stupid. Either way I was glad to be back as a regular citizen and not a detainee.

Shortly after that they all hauled ass and basically thought I was running from them on the monkey bike lol.

Today was a good day.
View Quote

Update 3

Did radiator hose mod
ported throttle body
Cut filter panel out and replaced with bulk UNI foam
Ram air from 2" speaker port and sink strainer
Custom exhaust from a $45 ebay pitbike exhaust

camo

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a guy or gal that parks one on base. They are pretty small when you are right next to them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a guy or gal that parks one on base. They are pretty small when you are right next to them.
View Quote

I'm not that big at 5'5 but I'm probably gonna go check one out today to see for myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you ever driven like a DR-Z? It reminded me a lot of a supermotard when I spent some quality time with this one:

Frankly, if it appeals to you at all, you should buy it. If I lived closer to work (i.e. didn't have to take an interstate to get there) I'd have one no question.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not that big at 5'5 but I'm probably gonna go check one out today to see for myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a GROM.
You know you need one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Those look fun as fuck. I'm built like a linebacker though so I'm afraid it'd look like I have a roller skate stuck up my ass. I have a Triumph Speed Triple now. I'd kill for a 250 the same exact size as it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
At 6' 220 I'd be like Monkey/football

But I'd love to have one just cause.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool bikes. As pointed out earlier though, the are really small. If it could be scaled up by about 1/3 it would be perfect IMO.

The good news is that the feeding frenzy that surrounded them on release has calmed down. It should be no problem now getting one for at or below MSRP. When they first came out some people were neckbearding them for MSRP + $1500 believe it or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At 6' 220 I'd be like Monkey/football

But I'd love to have one just cause.
View Quote

I was just about to post this. I'm 6'5" and 300.  It'd crush that thing like a beer can. But they are cool looking
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you ever driven like a DR-Z? It reminded me a lot of a supermotard when I spent some quality time with this one:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1375112_829775880399656_8504775088238262672_n.jpg?oh=d84fe0c8a90792c433142d61edfe688b&oe=552F451F&__gda__=1429365124_8d162a92025b593edbae712d3498f5eb

Frankly, if it appeals to you at all, you should buy it. If I lived closer to work (i.e. didn't have to take an interstate to get there) I'd have one no question.
View Quote

Never rode one. When I did ride I rode a kx100 and yz125. I needed the power of the 125 in a frame the size of a 100.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got one. It kicks ass.

You will invent reasons to "just go get" burger buns, hardware, meet a friend....

5000+ happy miles on it now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy a GROM. You know you need one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
At 6' 200, the Grom is a wee bit small...

I'm looking forward to trying one of these though... Yamaha R3

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got one. It kicks ass.

You will invent reasons to "just go get" burger buns, hardware, meet a friend....

5000+ happy miles on it now.
View Quote

Awesome. This is the kind of stuff I like to hear. Seems everybody that has rode one says they are awesome. They have to be fun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone who rides them says they're fun as shit, but I would look like a bear on a circus bike, plus I feel a lot more "secure" on a 600ish-sized bike.

Knowing the relative sizes involved, you might actually be able to pull it off, Pistol
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
The Honda Grom is back for 2015, still packing a 125cc thumper, hydraulic discs, inverted fork, and 225-pound curb weight. But now… in yellow! And white!
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/this-is-your-very-important-honda-grom-announcement-of-1679987281/+damon
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Hold the fucking phone!!  You can ride one of these things through a doorway?!??

Must...resist...urge... to spend money for the sole purpose of hooliganism
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I had one of the first ones in my state, rode it for a year ended up selling because I moved to a smaller town and wanted something highway worthy. I absolutely loved it, probably couldn't be cheaper to own unless it was a bicycle. So were clear I am 6'2" and weight in around 275-280 range depending on what was for lunch that day, so for all the guys saying monkey fucking a football or gorilla on a roller skate that was me. I lived in the Kansas City suburbs when I had mine and it was fantastic for running around on surface streets with, it will get up to the 55-60 mph range with me on it depending on head winds and it gets up there quick so it easy to get out in front of traffic. the thing is and absolute blast to ride, the only thing I had to change was the mirrors. I put cheap bar end mirrors on it because I couldn't see anything but my shoulders in the stock ones.

I will get another one at some point, but when I moved to a smaller city it was less practical because its limited to city streets really. I did take it on some light single track hiking trails and it did ok, its so small I could ride it through the side door of my garage and at 200lbs I never worried about dropping it.

if you've got any specific questions I can try to answer them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Everyone who rides them says they're fun as shit, but I would look like a bear on a circus bike, plus I feel a lot more "secure" on a 600ish-sized bike.

Knowing the relative sizes involved, you might actually be able to pull it off, Pistol
View Quote

Yeah and me on a 600+ cc bike = Life Insurance claim.

I tend to push everything I ride as hard as it will go, the only way to govern it is with cc's. Grom would probably be a perfect all around bike for me if it was slightly bigger, made about 30hp, and could get up to 90 mph.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I tend to push everything I ride as hard as it will go, the only way to govern it is with cc's. Grom would probably be a perfect all around bike for me if it was slightly bigger, made about 30hp, and could get up to 90 mph.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your criteria fits the 250-300cc category. My dad rides a ninja 300 and it sounds like what you're looking for

I ride a cbr600rr
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had one of the first ones in my state, rode it for a year ended up selling because I moved to a smaller town and wanted something highway worthy. I absolutely loved it, probably couldn't be cheaper to own unless it was a bicycle. So were clear I am 6'2" and weight in around 275-280 range depending on what was for lunch that day, so for all the guys saying monkey fucking a football or gorilla on a roller skate that was me. I lived in the Kansas City suburbs when I had mine and it was fantastic for running around on surface streets with, it will get up to the 55-60 mph range with me on it depending on head winds and it gets up there quick so it easy to get out in front of traffic. the thing is and absolute blast to ride, the only thing I had to change was the mirrors. I put cheap bar end mirrors on it because I couldn't see anything but my shoulders in the stock ones.

I will get another one at some point, but when I moved to a smaller city it was less practical because its limited to city streets really. I did take it on some light single track hiking trails and it did ok, its so small I could ride it through the side door of my garage and at 200lbs I never worried about dropping it.

View Quote

Cool thanks. Maybe one about commuting. My backroad route into Birmingham would be 30 miles, where the speed limit never gets above 55. Do you think that might be pushing the limits of what it is meant for. I have never seen a scooter on those roads either, mostly see them downtown. Traffic is also very light on those roads as they parallel the interstate pretty much all the way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Cool thanks. Maybe one about commuting. My backroad route into Birmingham would be 30 miles, where the speed limit never gets above 55. Do you think that might be pushing the limits of what it is meant for. I have never seen a scooter on those roads either, mostly see them downtown. Traffic is also very light on those roads as they parallel the interstate pretty much all the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have probably had no problem on a 55mph road, that is going to be in the upper limits of speed but all that means it that you need to plan moves carefully and expect to get passed not do the passing. I have been accused of being a very aggressive driver the grom totally changed that for me haha. You should try to grab a test ride you'll be hooked. I have a work vehicle otherwise I would have commuted on my grom every day I got around 100mpg and don't think I ever put more than a gallon in the tank.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Is the OP planning on leading the caravan to the airport in Planet Terror?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Your criteria fits the 250-300cc category. My dad rides a ninja 300 and it sounds like what you're looking for

I ride a cbr600rr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ride a cbr600rr

I've thrown around the idea of a 250 motard. I don't really care to have a sport bike type. The 250F and 450F are great engines but again the maintenance on them seems like it is gonna take all the fun out of it. Not to mention the price tag on the bikes. Something about the Grom keeps me leaning towards it. You can big bore, stroke, and cam one for super cheap. So if something were to happen to the motor for any reason, it wouldn't be down for a long time.

I'd love to have 450 power but a bike like that really isn't in the budget nor is the desire to work on one. And I would probably have to just buy a dirt bike and change out wheels and brakes, then add lights to have what I want.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
For highway/freeway use, NO FUCKIN WAY!

For downtown/small town/neighborhood use, probably fun.

Competing on small track, FUCK YEAH!!!

Depends on where you plan to ride. More fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hold the fucking phone!!  You can ride one of these things through a doorway?!??

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They do look fun - and I'm a short shit so I might actually fit the bike.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I gave you the dates for the next races at the Herrin Compound.  You should try to make it, you'll definitely be hooked...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've thrown around the idea of a 250 motard. I don't really care to have a sport bike type. The 250F and 450F are great engines but again the maintenance on them seems like it is gonna take all the fun out of it. Not to mention the price tag on the bikes. Something about the Grom keeps me leaning towards it. You can big bore, stroke, and cam one for super cheap. So if something were to happen to the motor for any reason, it wouldn't be down for a long time.

I'd love to have 450 power but a bike like that really isn't in the budget nor is the desire to work on one. And I would probably have to just buy a dirt bike and change out wheels and brakes, then add lights to have what I want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ride a cbr600rr

Maintenance intervals suggested are for racing. Commuting is a different animal.

I converted and registered a WR450F for street use and commuted on it for two years. Sucked on the freeway, but one of the best bikes I've ever used for daily driving on any road 55 or under.
(Dirt bike front ends get real light at anything over 60, gets worse as you go faster! )

I have a garage full of street bikes ranging from 450cc-1000cc, most get at least a couple thousand miles a year. My converted dirt bike did not require any more wrenching than any of the others.
I have never been accused of being a docile rider.

If it were I, I would buy a full size dirt bike before a grom,  but in the right environment I'm sure a grom is a blast
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Its important to keep this in mind if you intend on riding it on the street.  The smaller the bike you are riding, the more people will ignore your right of way, turn left in front of you etc.

I ride a big bike, 1800cc, other drivers are much more alert to a big bike than a small one, like almost everyone I started out on a small bike and worked my way up.  With smaller bikes other drivers pretty much ignore you, they don't think anything about turning left in front of you, you should consider yourself INVISIBLE.

Big bikes get a lot more respect, people will still turn left in front of you, ignore your right of way etc, but its nothing like riding a little bike which they ignore.  I also own a classic 1978 Yamaha DT175, that is about the smallest bike I would consider riding on the street.

I've been riding bikes for 54 years, I wouldn't ride that small a bike on the street, its just too dangerous.
View Quote

size of the bike doesn't matter  I've ridden all manners of sportbikes, cruisers, and naked bikes, and still have idiots that didn't respect shit about my space on a road.  Hell, I drive a massive Dodge 2500, and people turn in front of me, cut me off, and try to come over on me almost every day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not sure if the world is ready for pistol on a bike.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I just gave away a 2014 Ruckus to my team, thinking the GROM for our 3rd qtr giveaway. Never been on one but looks like fun!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not allowed to ride small bikes or dirt bikes anymore, I end up doing stupid things on them and my joints already sound like they have concrete dust in them.

Plus anything less than a 600 just doesn't have the torque that I enjoy, I like being able to take off smoothly and promptly without revving the engine much.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm 6'4" and I ride a Husky 630 supermoto.
I've been on and around Groms, seen several end up in the ditches
But they are a blast for parking lot races and general goofing off.
A good rider on a Grom can outrun an average rider on a sportbike in the twisties.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if the world is ready for pistol on a bike.
View Quote

This is the last bike I owned. 04 YZ125. Sold it around 09.

Need something to have some fun on again.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#37]
they are fun.  maintaining 55 its hard though.  I'd look for a bigger bike.  Nc700, cbr 250, ninja 250, buel blast, all good starter bikes
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#39]
For a beginning rider, that healthy amount of respect one has for a powerful bike when they ride it can be a good thing.

On a small bike like the Grom, you might find yourself always feeling like you have to prove your worth to riders on bigger bikes, by showing them how fast you can take a turn and cute stuff like that, which can get you into trouble real easy.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Wheel size makes a LOT of difference.

If you were comfy on that YZ 125 you will be happier on a 4 stroke 250 than a grom.

A grom is much more like a scooter than a motorcycle.

Even if you go supermoto, you are still talking a much bigger wheel. 17" supermoto vs 12" grom.

Taller wheels = more stable at speed. This makes a lot of difference in how a bike "feels" in traffic.

If you intend to compete on the road with cars you will want a motorcycle over a scooter.

If you intend to race parking lots or ride neighborhoods, then who cares.

There is a reason you encounter fewer scooters than motorcycles in traffic
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wheel size makes a LOT of difference.

If you were comfy on that YZ 125 you will be happier on a 4 stroke 250 than a grom.

A grom is much more like a scooter than a motorcycle.

Even if you go supermoto, you are still talking a much bigger wheel. 17" supermoto vs 12" grom.

Taller wheels = more stable at speed. This makes a lot of difference in how a bike "feels" in traffic.

If you intend to compete on the road with cars you will want a motorcycle over a scooter.

If you intend to race parking lots or ride neighborhoods, then who cares.

There is a reason you encounter fewer scooters than motorcycles in traffic
View Quote

The YZ was actually a tad tall for me but I managed. Like I said the power was excellent for my size but I needed that in a 100 size frame. It has high sided me a few times in rough terrain, leaving my legs dangling and then dump it over.

Do you know about how much lower the seat would be on a 250 with 17" wheels?

Anything much more than about 30" isn't gonna be too much fun for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#42]
My GF got one last year, I ride it as much as she does even though there are four other bikes in the garage between us. The GRom is a great city bike and a whole lot of bike for the money. The fuel injection really civilized the motor and power never really seems to be an issue unless you are in a 55 zone. 55 seems to be its sweet spot, even two up it has no trouble keeping up with and past cars until you hit 55. If you tuck in, it'll wheeze up to 62mph. The brakes are good and ride ride is compliant at the expense of soft springs though.

This is one of those bikes that is just plain fun to ride and just practical enought to ride where you need to go. I have a 177hp GSXR1000 in the garage and I'm more likely to grab the keys for the Grom than it. I don't feel like I have to dress up like a power ranger to ride it and every trip is an adventure. the world needs more bikes like the Grom, my hope is that they come out with a dirt version.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I have one. We met at CW4, Pistol. We are about the same size (iirc). 5'9 190lb.

I personally find it to be a blast and decent commuter bike around town. The EFI is perfect. 4th gear is pretty much useless. Top speed with my weight at FULL tuck is 64mph gps vefied. 55mph is about all you get in upright riding position on flat roads. The speedo is accurate in stock gear. Many drop a tooth which changes ratio and displayed speed.

Previous bikes (*still have)

2001 SV650

RM250

TTR 125

*2013 Honda Ruckus

*2014 Grom

Opinions:

On twisty roads, its plenty of bike and can be as technical as you can ride. It covers a ton of bases from newb riders to very experienced. Its super light to toss around but dont forget you are on a tiny bike, ground clearance runs out quick on full lean. A buddy found this out on my Grom in TN on us129 (the dragon). He caught peg, got squirrelly and high sided while in full lean.

Parts are silly cheap. Thanks honda/taiwan! If it falls over, you wont cry, all new OEM plastics are about $20-50ea at the dealer.

After owning for a year, Id like a slight bit more power. The 180cc big bore kit is a future upgrade.

Its a very good scale for a small bike. I adjust stock bars more upright and its real comfortable. However after abotu an hour on the bike, cruising flat straight roads gets old at 55mph.

If you were about 5'4-5'6 and <160, the bike is a riot. i have a smaller friend with mild modded grom. He does 70mph all day. He pulls on me like im sitting still.

If you have $2900 to burn, do it. Or, find a used one for about $2200 (dont mess with overly modded ones/hack jobs)

I dont plan on selling mine but I wouldnt really miss the Ruckus. Its probably about to go away.

edit:

The Grom IS NOTHING LIKE A SCOOTER. You clearly havent ridden one. Its quick to turn in and qucik to get to 40. Its much more a "real" bike than a dirt bike. No, its not as twitchy as a super moto/motard. I ride my uncles 570 husaberg motard it I want a twitchy monstrous wheelie machine.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have one. We met at CW4, Pistol. We are about the same size (iirc). 5'9 190lb.

I personally find it to be a blast and decent commuter bike around town. The EFI is perfect. 4th gear is pretty much useless. Top speed with my weight at FULL tuck is 64mph gps vefied. 55mph is about all you get in upright riding position on flat roads. The speedo is accurate in stock gear. Many drop a tooth which changes ratio and displayed speed.

2001 SV650
RM250
TTR 125
*2013 Honda Ruckus
*2014 Grom

Opinions:

On twisty roads, its plenty of bike and can be as technical as you can ride. It covers a ton of bases from newb riders to very experienced. Its super light to toss around but dont forget you are on a tiny bike, ground clearance runs out quick on full lean. A buddy found this out on my Grom in TN on us129 (the dragon). He caught peg, got squirrelly and high sided while in full lean.

Parts are silly cheap. Thanks honda/taiwan! If it falls over, you wont cry, all new OEM plastics are about $20-50ea at the dealer.

After owning for a year, Id like a slight bit more power. The 180cc big bore kit is a future upgrade.

Its a very good scale for a small bike. I adjust stock bars more upright and its real comfortable. However after abotu an hour on the bike, cruising flat straight roads gets old at 55mph.

If you were about 5'4-5'6 and <160, the bike is a riot. i have a smaller friend with mild modded grom. He does 70mph all day. He pulls on me like im sitting still.

If you have $2900 to burn, do it. Or, find a used one for about $2200 (dont mess with overly modded ones/hack jobs)

I dont plan on selling mine but I wouldnt really miss the Ruckus. Its probably about to go away.

edit:
The Grom IS NOTHING LIKE A SCOOTER. You clearly havent ridden one. Its quick to turn in and qucik to get to 40. Its much more a "real" bike than a dirt bike. No, its not as twitchy as a super moto/motard. I ride my uncles 570 husaberg motard it I want a twitchy monstrous wheelie machine.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/l/t1.0-9/10628026_10101062839139120_3077549475978551803_n.jpg?oh=1d86d13b40d547183404210bd6219a58&oe=556E1B39
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1538792_10100976670811140_6734806411536505752_n.jpg?oh=c04e815ac6b45e4f30afe54d31e0fecc&oe=5563F3E0&__gda__=1432813785_85ced12727bd7267665f73f31de8f508

View Quote

Sweet. Yeah I'm a touch smaller. 5'5 165. I think I'm gonna do it. Once Motards start becoming common around here I will probably grab one of those. Maybe a CRF250M.

I wasn't actually looking for a commuter but if this thing will do it it's just a bonus.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I owned over 50 bikes over the 35 years I have been riding. 8 scooters in the mix.
If you can live with a 50 mph cruising speed then get a GROM.

For around town I loved my old 250 Yamaha scooter. I have a Yamaha 400 Majesty only because it is better two up.

You will love the fuel economy and brakes on the GROM. And you can store them in small spaces.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#46]
worse case scenario you own it for a year and sell it, you may end up taking a $500 hit if sell it fast.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#47]
What's the weight limit on that thing?  I can't wait to come over.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you'll be alright.

This guy manages, although I bet he had to add the turbo to make it get stock like performance with him on it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

2001 SV650
RM250
TTR 125
*2013 Honda Ruckus
*2014 Grom

Opinions:

edit:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/l/t1.0-9/10628026_10101062839139120_3077549475978551803_n.jpg?oh=1d86d13b40d547183404210bd6219a58&oe=556E1B39
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1538792_10100976670811140_6734806411536505752_n.jpg?oh=c04e815ac6b45e4f30afe54d31e0fecc&oe=5563F3E0&__gda__=1432813785_85ced12727bd7267665f73f31de8f508

View Quote

I've ridden a grom twice, on neighborhood streets, it's a scooter. A cool scooter, but still a scooter.

I don't think "real" (part in green) is the right word. If you mean "street" then I agree with that claim. But if you are saying a grom is more a motorcycle than the RM250 you claim to have owned then I have to call BS.
MotoXer's have excellent turn in whether set up for on road or off, and if your RM was slower to get to 40 than your grom, then something was fucking wrong with your RM

The smallest bike I own is a KLX 110 (a little over 140 now), it has been cam'd, piped, carbed, bored, new ecu,fourth gear shift drum'd, clutched, and super moto'd. It will top out about 60, and is REAL quick to 40, but I dont kid myself about it being a "real" bike.
Not saying it isn't fun, and I love riding it, but putting anything in that class over a 250 motoxer as a "real" bike is just fuckin silly
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This guy manages, although I bet he had to add the turbo to make it get stock like performance with him on it.

http://youtu.be/imWqQUoBgf8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/imWqQUoBgf8

Great, like I needed more ideas

And to the haters, I've watched these put a hurting on XR100s at the track.  It's all in the rider. Far from a "scooter"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top