Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2015 12:26:47 PM EDT
LINK

Report says one Dr shot, one in custody.
Hope all are well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
fuck.

Breaking*
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Most aren't from the NE.

This hospital is in Boston.  

ETA, replied before your link.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
One person is in custody, according to the State Police. The Boston Globe's David Abel reports that a doctor has been shot
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Strict gun control laws in MA, working well again.

I was born at that hospital and know people who work there. Hope it's not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Here we go again.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're going to be shot, a hospital is the best place to have it happen.  Hope the doc pulls through.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're going to be shot, a hospital is the best place to have it happen.  Hope the doc pulls through.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. As a hypothetical, if I had to get shot, it would be nice to have it happen right at a high quality hospital.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Dr. Refused to take Medicare/Medicaid?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
boston.com
11:33 a.m.: Boston Police report that the situation is under control.
View Quote

wcvb.com
The shooting happened on the second floor of the Carl J. and Ruth Shapiro Cardiovascular Center at 75 Francis St.,, which is across the street from the hospital's main entrance.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Strict gun control laws in MA, working well again.

View Quote

What they will say:

Our gun control laws work.  Its yours that have allowed this to happen.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. As a hypothetical, if I had to get shot, it would be nice to have it happen right at a high quality hospital.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an OB/GYN hospital.  There's only so many ways to use a speculum and csection kit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I want to make some shitty joke about Obamacare, but I'll refrain until I know the doc is OK.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#13]
hope everyone is ok
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Most aren't from the NE.

View Quote

This hospital is in Boston.  

ETA, replied before your link.  

Thanks, I had no idea myself

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#16]
In Pennsylvania when the guy pulled a gun in the hospital... The Doc, pulled his and shot him .... let's compare the gun laws
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Didn't we just have a thread on people waving guns around, and taking hostages in a hospital?  Where I was criticized and tut-tut'ed for saying that a person like that needs a bullet in the head?  

This sh*t right here is why I said that.

Nobody goes waving a gun around in a hospital unless they're really off their chump.
View Quote
Yep.  And I agree with you.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Didn't we just have a thread on people waving guns around, and taking hostages in a hospital?  Where I was criticized and tut-tut'ed for saying that a person like that needs a bullet in the head?  

Nobody goes waving a gun around in a hospital unless they're really off their chump.
View Quote

+1 Totally agree Doc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]

At least he was shot at a Tier 1 hospital.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Shit like that is strictly illegal in Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#23]
But we have some of the strictest gun laws ever!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone get death paneled?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing makes people stupider than walking into a hospital. Seriously, the minute most people enter a hospital, their customer service expectations skyrocket while their IQ plummets at an incredible rate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Suspect in custody?  Or did he self-terminate?
View Quote

Self terminated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Shooters mom died in the doctors care.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
boston.com

wcvb.com
The shooting happened on the second floor of the Carl J. and Ruth Shapiro Cardiovascular Center at 75 Francis St.,, which is across the street from the hospital's main entrance.

I'm betting this is, somehow, related to a broken heart.

Hope the victims are ok.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn I was just emailing a Doctor that works at that hospital in a professional capacity late last week.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's an OB/GYN hospital.  There's only so many ways to use a speculum and csection kit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe 40 years ago it was. It's an 800 bed hospital with a broad array of services now. It's the second largest in Boston, behind Mass General.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone criticized you for saying someone waving a gun around in a hospital should be shot?  

What was their suggestion?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow.
And I just got back from an active shooter seminar at the behest of my employer.
Guy giving the presentation made the comment it was reasonably rare but one never knows when the next one will be.
And now this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
boston.com

wcvb.com

We had a doc shot & killed in an on-campus cardiac office while I was a resident in that same city, at a large hospital affiliated with the same large medical school. IIRC, it was the end-game of a love triangle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BTW, it takes 15 YEARS of post high-school education to make a cardiac surgeon.
View Quote

I love my Cardiac Surgeon. I hate doctors and Dentists. I make an exception for him.

I'm typing this because he's the man he is. Otherwise, I'd be looking at grass roots.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Massachussetts hospitals are Defense Free Zones, yes ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carried inside hospitals in MA when I had a LTC there. There's no state law on it, so at most one would violate hospital "policies."
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

*nodding*

Seen that before.  

As I mentioned in the other thread, we had a disgruntled relative who was spotted waiting in his car in the parking lot (with a .357) for one of my Pulmonary/Critical-Care colleagues.  He felt the doctor had killed his mother, and was waiting outside to even the score.   A security guard saw him sitting in the car, and he was apprehended before he could carry out the murder.  

F*cking crazy homicidal people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shooters mom died in the doctors care.

*nodding*

Seen that before.  

As I mentioned in the other thread, we had a disgruntled relative who was spotted waiting in his car in the parking lot (with a .357) for one of my Pulmonary/Critical-Care colleagues.  He felt the doctor had killed his mother, and was waiting outside to even the score.   A security guard saw him sitting in the car, and he was apprehended before he could carry out the murder.  

F*cking crazy homicidal people.

One of our medical staff had a patient who called the hospital and articulated specific death threats against that doc. A few people I know, who may or may not have professional experience with guns, may or may not have taken her to the shooting range and ensured she had means to defend herself. I'm sure everyone reminded the doc to leave anything like that locked in the car in the parking lot, of course.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I carried inside hospitals in MA when I had a LTC there. There's no state law on it, so at most one would violate hospital "policies."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

University-owned hospitals, iirc, were no-go under state law. I had a class A permit but didn't carry on campus.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

At least for medical staff, it's almost certainly prohibited.  There is no state law where I live against carrying in the hospital either, but there is a big, FAT section in the employee handbook that prohibits the carrying of weapons.

So the worst they could do is fire you... which is a fairly big deal for physicians.  The reason it's a big deal is because the next hospital where you apply for privileges will have a section on the application (as they all do) asking whether you've ever been thrown off the medical staff of another facility, or forced to give up your clinical privileges.

It's a serious black mark.  The reason for this is because if there is ever a lawsuit against you, med-mal/plaintiff's attorneys always try to drag the hospital into the suit (it's another deep pocket they can tap).  One of the ways they can do this is by claiming the hospital was negligent in credentialing you, based on your prior history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least for medical staff, it's almost certainly prohibited.  There is no state law where I live against carrying in the hospital either, but there is a big, FAT section in the employee handbook that prohibits the carrying of weapons.

So the worst they could do is fire you... which is a fairly big deal for physicians.  The reason it's a big deal is because the next hospital where you apply for privileges will have a section on the application (as they all do) asking whether you've ever been thrown off the medical staff of another facility, or forced to give up your clinical privileges.

It's a serious black mark.  The reason for this is because if there is ever a lawsuit against you, med-mal/plaintiff's attorneys always try to drag the hospital into the suit (it's another deep pocket they can tap).  One of the ways they can do this is by claiming the hospital was negligent in credentialing you, based on your prior history.

Also this. This is one aspect most people don't realize about medical credentialing. It's not as simple as getting fired and finding a job somewhere else. It is black balling that could literally mean the end of someone's career, possibly with hundreds of thousands of student loan obligations looming. I was stunned when the hospital in PA stood behind the doc involved in a defensive shooting.

ETA: Sorry about the inadvertent 3-posting. I meant to edit & consolidate instead of padding post count.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

University-owned hospitals, iirc, were no-go under state law. I had a class A permit but didn't carry on campus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a statute on colleges there, and there was always some debate about university-affiliated hospitals. All of the big hospitals are "teaching" hospitals and have some sort of affiliation with Harvard or BU, but they're not owned by the universities unless they're ... actually owned by a university. Boston Medical Center is BU's de facto hospital, but I'm not even sure that is owned by BU.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is a statute on colleges there, and there was always some debate about university-affiliated hospitals. All of the big hospitals are "teaching" hospitals and have some sort of affiliation with Harvard or BU, but they're not owned by the universities unless they're ... actually owned by a university. Boston Medical Center is BU's de facto hospital, but I'm not even sure that is owned by BU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MGH and Brigham are owned by Partners. I have experienced first-hand the citizen CCW opinion of BPD detectives when my gun & luggage were stolen at the airport. Based on that, I believe they would be very disinclined to discuss the finer points of hospital ownership with a CCW holder.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Crap
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That blows.  Especially as serious as it is, because being dead is worse, but if you cant find another job....
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

MGH and Brigham are owned by Partners. I have experienced first-hand the citizen CCW opinion of BPD detectives when my gun & luggage were stolen at the airport. Based on that, I believe they would be very disinclined to discuss the finer points of hospital ownership with a CCW holder.
View Quote

Meh, if it's not owned by the university it's not subject to the law there which bans carry at "any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university."  I carried at Fenway and the Garden, too. Also legal. Used to get off the plane at Logan, pick up my checked Glock, and load up in a bathroom stall.

BPD can suck it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top