Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 11:05:40 AM EDT
We've had plenty of bitcoin, silver, gold, and PMAG investment discussions here in GD but I haven't seen one on individual equities. What stocks are you tracking? What have you recently done well with or gotten burned on?

I ran across one last night that made me think of Arfcom: HOFT

There isn't much activity in the Business & Investing subforum, so I figured I'd give GD a try.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I am watching one that I have owned for over 2 decades, the ADRs of Nestlé's, (NSRGY).

It has moved quite a bit what with last week's action by the Swiss Central Bank.  On the Swiss exchange, it dropped, but here in America, it went up, because of the jump in the Swiss Franc.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
ETA ; didn't read :P
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am watching one that I have owned for over 2 decades, the ADRs of Nestlé's, (NSRGY).

It has moved quite a bit what with last week's action by the Swiss Central Bank.  On the Swiss exchange, it dropped, but here in America, it went up, because of the jump in the Swiss Franc.

View Quote

You really can't go wrong with a company that makes chocolates (among thousands of other things).

I've been watching Nippon Shokubai and BASF closely - they don't make consumer products, but they make a key ingredient used in consumer products.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Ford-good news and the stock drops.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The second one I am watching is GPT, a REIT.

It did very well in 2014, and I did buy a few shares in December of 2013.

It is a comeback story, and they have come back pretty well.

Probably won't appreciate as much in 2015, but I do think they have some more room for growth.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#6]
BASF (MasterBuilders) makes some of the most recognizable and most used mid to high grade construction materials, and are very active in the industry. I dont see them going anywhere as long as the world keeps building.

Especially since the rest of the developing world is just now figuring out how to build buildings that perform.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BASF (MasterBuilders) makes some of the most recognizable and most used mid to high grade construction materials, and are very active in the industry. I dont see them going anywhere as long as the world keeps building.

Especially since the rest of the developing world is just now figuring out how to build buildings that perform.
View Quote

They produce over 25% of the world's supply of SAP.

As lesser developed countries move up they will want what the developed world has for their babies. Disposable diapers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]
My philosophy on individual equities is to buy large-caps that have been reliable payers of dividends.  I buy on dips whenever possible, and opportunities sometimes arise as a result of bad news that has short-term negative implications for the company.

For example, I bought Boeing (BA) at $74.00 per share in December 2012 after a flurry of bad news about fires on 787 aircraft.  But the company was also in the process of negotiating several billion dollars worth of orders to be filled over the following 15 years.

It payed $.0485 per share per quarter in 2013.

It payed $.73 in 2014.

The first quarterly dividend for 2015 was announced on December 15.  It will pay $.91.  At current price that's an annual yield of 2.60%.  At the price I paid it's more like 4.57%.  That's the beauty of buying on dips and holding for the long haul.  I let most of my dividend-paying stocks reinvest, so my number of BA shares has increased by a little over 4% since I bought it.

My only regret is that I didn't sell some other stocks and buy twice as much Boeing at the time.

My worst burn was buying AMD when I thought it had a real chance of staying competitive with Intel.  I lost my shirt on that one.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I have these rules for investing:

It must have real revenue. (vaporware, bitcoin and penny stocks are no go)
It must have proven management.  (years/decades of making profits and growing the business)
There must be a barrier to entry in it's industry (Remember AOL?)
It must pay a dividend of at least 3% on price. (no precious metals)

I rarely sell a stock; only then if it does not fit the criteria above.  I try to buy the issue on a pull back of 5% or more.  I also have my portfolio balanced to avoid exposure to one industry.  I keep about 10% of my savings in cash to take advantage of a huge drop in prices.

Over the last 30 years, this strategy has worked very, very well.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#11]
apple is a great bet.  

Also looking at TMV (raising interest rates) and an oil investment.

NOTE:  I play around with around 10% of my portfolio.  The rest is low cost (index) funds.   You can not, nor can anyone else, time the market.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
i wish i had pulled the trigger on JNUG or NUGT i nthe beginning of this month
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#13]
SEE
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#14]
There are several oil stocks which are in/near the irresistible range.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I am expecting DE (john deere) to drop like a rock in the coming year. I bought put options hoping it does. Very low risk vs. reward.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not tagging this.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Watching some energy stocks for a good entry point. I think they have a little further to fall.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Waiting to buy CHK(Oil/Nat. Gas play) when Im sure its at bottom, this thing is a roller coaster over the years and somewhat predictable.
In on ZIOP at 5.75 right before it started running,coming back a bit but too much in the pipeline going forward.
Keeping an eye on AMD ,taking a beating and down to yearly low,conference call today on Q4 numbers.
They canned 3 big wigs and are revamping not sure if the new CEO is just there to take the blame or can turn it around.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm not tagging this.

View Quote

me neither
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Done well with Intel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#21]
How much stock is enough to buy to make it worthwhile?

For a $2 stock, what would you guys suggest buying?  1k shares?

For a $400 stock, how much?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not the price of the stock, it's the amount of burden you pay in commission.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why tie up your capital unless you are a long term hold?
If you are talking shorter term, you are better to maximize your leverage using Options.
Here is a brief primer:

http://investorplace.com/2012/04/what-are-options/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I like Under Armor (UA).  It's the only individual stock that I own.  The rest is mutual funds.  UA is local to me and I see a big upside in the long term.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If you are talking shorter term, you are better to maximize your leverage using Options.

Here is a brief primer:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is a brief primer:

Thanks for that link!

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for that link!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a brief primer:

Thanks for that link!

No problem! I should have actually linked the root that previous page originates from. Here is the root which is a full Options primer for beginners:

http://investorplace.com/how-to-trade-options-options-trading-basics/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Currently watching OAS, EXXI, BTE, and wishing I would have gotten into USLV this last time it dipped under $20.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
< when Im sure its at bottom >
View Quote

Be sure to let us know when that is.

I understand you have to make a profit, so let us know the day after it bottoms...we'll be happy with that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's not the price of the stock, it's the amount of burden you pay in commission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I understand you have to make a profit, so let us know the day after it bottoms...we'll be happy with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I should have said " when its near bottom" for those who take things literally lol.
Wish I could know when the exact bottom is.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Some good values out there in dividend stocks, like AT&T.  If you like firearm-related stocks, take a look at Olin.  

People are always going to be buying internet services (AT&T), bleach and ammo (Olin).  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Chipotle (CMG).....
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chipotle (CMG).....
View Quote

I don't know, I think peak $8 burrito might be here soon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#34]
How many of you have invested in ADRs? (American depositary receipts)
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Any thoughts on VNR?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Watching some energy stocks for a good entry point. I think they have a little further to fall.
View Quote

I'm watching Haliburton.  Do you have any comments on HAL?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strong company beaten down by low energy prices like dozens of others. I usually invest in sectors through mutual funds. Seems like the individual (large cap) companies within a sector rise and fall in a similar fashion anyhow so if one company in that sector fund shits the bed for whatever reason I won't lose everything like I would if I was invested only in that one company and knowing my luck I would be
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#38]
P/E ratios are still pretty high for me to get excited about most stocks. Energy presents some interesting opportunities as the stock prices slip
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm watching spcb.  I bought some shares when it was around 4 bucks. In the last month it was 10.50 a share and the last week its been going steadily down.  Its now considered oversold (bargain)  I can't decide if I should buy some more.  Anybody else watch this or otiv, hdsn or rlgt?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:03:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I guess I should have said " when its near bottom" for those who take things literally lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely not taken literally:  I'd even take close...let me know when it's within 10% of a bottom, deal?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Definitely not taken literally:  I'd even take close...let me know when it's within 10% of a bottom, deal?
View Quote

RE:CHK

Well on the down side:
1) cheap oil/gas prices now are not good for them.
2) they have a lot of debt 11.6 Billion with a "B"

On the plus side:
1) although they are a shale player they are more diverse than most
2) Prices are currently artificially deflated by the Saudi's trying to put a hurt on US shale and they will go back up and CHK SHOULD be diverse enough to whether that storm.
3) Inside directors have purchase 500,000+ shares @23.56/share since November
4) It does pay a small dividend of .35/share
5) it does have positive earnings of .81/share
6) This is the golden nugget, Carl Icahn has loaded up on 66 MILLION shares, he is an" activist" investor who is known for forcing companies to do whatever it takes to
bring value to himself ie: stock holders.

This stock has not been below 13 in the last 10 years but its been way over or near 30 four separate times,if you can buy and hold until 28.00/30.00 without panic if it dips another few dollars then I think you will do fine buying now. Edit: Full disclosure I bought in @19.22 this morning,

02-11-15 Edit My sell order triggered @20.00 on CHK and sold my AMD @3.00 , made a little on CHK and did well on the AMD.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

RE: CHK - Well I'm not gonna claim this is bottom but I did by in at $13.85 today.
Stock is taking a beating over shale concerns but they are more natural gas orientated and taking a beating bigger than they deserve but that's ok for us.
By my guess Carl Icahn has lost 500 million on CHK IF he still has his 66 million shares and i would expect hes not going to sit back much longer.
As always proceed at your own risk but I just wanted to give a heads up because you asked me to.

Edit; looks like Icahn still owns about 30 million shares but he sold over 30 million shares as well.

03/18/15 edit: http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/03/17/five-oil-stocks-to-buy-as-two-top-oil-traders-call-a-bottom/2/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top