Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:41:04 PM EDT
I realize the failed attempt changed the way the military prepared for things like that. How much better are we at conducting an operation like that today?

Where the fuck can I get a rocket assisted C 130?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Couldn't be any worse than a Russian response.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Numb nuts in chief would pay them off first.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Well.....for one......we now have a President today who seems to favor terrorists......especially those of a certain religious persuasion ......so I guess that answers that question.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Well Ospreys seem like they might be useful.

And everybody who makes another cliche post after this about Obama being the big difference desires to be a model for a Tom of Finland dirty sanchez scene.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The CV-22 would prove its worth.

ETA  beat by mere seconds.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Since we managed to find a president actually WORSE than Carter...

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
We had Carter then, and we have Carter now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
It would be the same or worse.  That failed raid was the wake up call that made our special forces what they are today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#9]
invalid question.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Who knows all the goodies that SOAR has that we don't know about.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I doubt if Obama would have the balls to even let a rescue attempt take place.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I realize the failed attempt changed the way the military prepared for things like that. How much better are we at conducting an operation like that today?  

View Quote

Lock Mart
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone interested in this should read the book "The guts to try".

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
If Bush (father or son) or Reagan was in office, it would have been pulled off.  With Best Dear Leader, we would have surrendered.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#15]
FBHO hasn't gutted our SOF capability lthe way Carter and Stansfield Turner did
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
As awful as it sounds,I think the Desert One failure was a terrible  blessing in disguise. I have severe doubts that the entire plan would have worked,many,many more lives would have been lost and there would have only been political will to accept defeat as no way would Carter have risked a full blown war with Iran.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not for nothing, but Osama bi Laden was killed on Obama's watch.

I think, IMHO, if that operation failed the consequences would be A LOT worse than what happened in Iran.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]
How many pretty daring military special operations has Obama authorized?

Going by this thread, I would think the answer was zero.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think, IMHO, if that operation failed the consequences would be A LOT worse than what happened in Iran.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hostage rescue is more complex than assassination.
way more complex.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Who knows all the goodies that SOAR has that we don't know about.
View Quote

Not us.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Total different world,   better intel, better equipment and training.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Hostages rescued, a few of my cats killed, lots of dead IRG.  We are quite good at what we do, silly books and news articles by so called "experts" who've never rescued a cat from a tree let alone stormed the OBJ.

18Z50
former SFAUC instructor in my former life
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#23]
We negotiate with terrorists now.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Knowing what I know - I'd say not much better.

Thats not to say that our SO Forces aren't better trained and equipped - but the Iranians haven't remained static all this time either.  Their capabilities in detection, tracking, response etc would have evolved as well.

You aren't going to fly to downtown undetected as you approach.  And the approach is looooooooong.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Much better considering the US has a much better helicopter and cargo lift capability.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thats not to say that our SO Forces aren't better trained and equipped - but the Iranians haven't remained static all this time either.  Their capabilities in detection, tracking, response etc would have evolved as well.

You aren't going to fly to downtown undetected as you approach.  And the approach is looooooooong.

View Quote

You should probably read about the mission. They weren't flying downtown. They were driving.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Jimma atleast gave an order to try. have no doubt that Obama would avoid any decision and golf.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lock Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lock Mart

The J has equal take off capability as non-Js equipped with JATOs
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm sure we would help out, just like we did the last time.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You should probably read about the mission. They weren't flying downtown. They were driving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weren't they flying out of downtown after they picked up the hostages?  Been ages since I read about it.. but I remember them planning to move the hostages to a stadium, where the helos would pick everyone up.

I also remember something about Rangers attacking an airport as a diversion.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Weren't they flying out of downtown after they picked up the hostages?  Been ages since I read about it.. but I remember them planning to move the hostages to a stadium, where the helos would pick everyone up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were going to land transport in a soccer stadium after taking out ZPUs.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#32]
C'mon guys, this could be a interesting thread if you'd stop dragging obama into it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know if it's selective memory or not  but the US attempted  to rescue the downed Jordanian F-16 pilot in Syria just a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They were trucking aircraft to the soccer stadium for the egress?  I didn't know that.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's selective memory or not  but the US attempted  to rescue the downed Jordanian F-16 pilot in Syria just a couple weeks ago.
View Quote

Obama has authorized several rescue attempts over the years.  It's hilarious how many guys still seem to think he would never let such a thing be attempted due to lack of a nutsack lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#36]
IMO
Dudes today would pull it off
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
IMO
Dudes today would pull it off
View Quote

dudes then would have pulled it off, too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Obama has authorized several rescue attempts over the years.  It's hilarious how many guys still seem to think he would never let such a thing be attempted due to lack of a nutsack lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The POTUS normally does not direct the employment of the National Mission Force, that is the purview of the head of the CIA who is the Combatant Commander for the War on Terrorism; POTUS only is required to make the call on certain things.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm sure we would help out, just like we did the last time.

View Quote

The hostage crisis occurred before I was born, but I was still somewhat aware of the event, and I was still shocked to not learn of that particular chapter of it until they made the movie about it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

We negotiate with terrorists now.

View Quote

We've negotiated with terrorists for years. Remember why this guy is famous?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Obama would build the Iranians a new prison to house the hostages in to show all concerned that he cares.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Obama in an Osprey would dominate their asses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Strongly worded letters?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#44]
IMHO the problem then wasn't the people on the ground, but the equipment and pilots.  After all you had Delta and Rangers going in, granted Delta was still in its infancy, but they had well-trained shooters.  I think the best thing to come out of that was the SOAR.  

Today you have a dedicated air wing for this type thing that has the equipment and training to pull off the aerial side.  Back then it was a bunch of Navy Pilots who had never flown in the desert, flying Helicopters designed to operate in a marine environment, not for the desert.  It was the helicopters that caused the problems, by either crashing (pilot error due to lack of visibility and lack of desert landing experience) or just breaking down.  I don't remember exactly how many had mechanical issues but i think at least 2 didn't make Desert One, and they left several on the ground after the crash with the EC130.

Just transplanting proper air equipment in there would have made a huge difference.  Not to mention the fact that we now have operators that have a lot of combat experience (something the Delta and Rangers guys didn't have a lot of at the time).

Can't speak much for whether it would definitely be a success once they got there, but today they would have at least made it to the hostage site.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As awful as it sounds,I think the Desert One failure was a terrible  blessing in disguise. I have severe doubts that the entire plan would have worked,many,many more lives would have been lost and there would have only been political will to accept defeat as no way would Carter have risked a full blown war with Iran.
View Quote

it was a complicated stupid ass plan created so several branches could grab some glory. it should have been developed with nothing but simple principles and success of mission in mind an it could have worked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#46]
From what I've read, I'd say we'd do much better now that Delta has dedicated air resources instead of the pissing match that they had back then with MUST US navy air power and pilots who really didn't wanna be there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#47]
There won't be a rescue attempt under Obama.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Numb nuts in chief would pay them off first.  
View Quote

You mean pray with them?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Story I remember was that the helo's were to be left behind so the navy gave them ones that were on there last legs anyways...why leave good aircraft.  I bet that was a big reason for the failed attempt.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
IMHO the problem then wasn't the people on the ground, but the equipment and pilots.  After all you had Delta and Rangers going in, granted Delta was still in its infancy, but they had well-trained shooters.  I think the best thing to come out of that was the SOAR.  

Today you have a dedicated air wing for this type thing that has the equipment and training to pull off the aerial side.  Back then it was a bunch of Navy Pilots who had never flown in the desert, flying Helicopters designed to operate in a marine environment, not for the desert.  It was the helicopters that caused the problems, by either crashing (pilot error due to lack of visibility and lack of desert landing experience) or just breaking down.  I don't remember exactly how many had mechanical issues but i think at least 2 didn't make Desert One, and they left several on the ground after the crash with the EC130.

Just transplanting proper air equipment in there would have made a huge difference.  Not to mention the fact that we now have operators that have a lot of combat experience (something the Delta and Rangers guys didn't have a lot of at the time).

Can't speak much for whether it would definitely be a success once they got there, but today they would have at least made it to the hostage site.
View Quote

the best thing that came out of that was JSOC
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top