Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:36:25 PM EDT
Hey guys as the title says, my 1.5 year old Lifeproof Fre Iphone case just sorta started coming about over the last couple of weeks. First the rubber wore through on the top power button, then the rubber slide for the ringer/silent switch cracked, then the screen protector pulled out from under the rubber lip. All in all this was a great case and it did save me a few times dropping it in water BUT I would have likley alittle more longevity for a $90 case.

What else is out there for Iphone 5 that are durable and water resistant (I fly fish about 150 days a year so that is important).

I have heard some bad things about the Lifeproof's recently since they were bought out by Otter. I carry my phone in my pocket so something on the thinner side is a plus too.

Thanks
J-
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Amazon and type in "supcase". Uber cheap and good high quality cases.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I would first contact Lifeproof and see if there's any sort of warranty.

I liked my Otterbox Defender for my Iphone 5C. I now have a Otterbox Commuter on my Iphone 6 and it works fine. I also recommend the "glass" type screen protectors.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would first contact Lifeproof and see if there's any sort of warranty.

I liked my Otterbox Defender for my Iphone 5C. I now have a Otterbox Commuter on my Iphone 6 and it works fine. I also recommend the "glass" type screen protectors.
View Quote

Its one year, so it lasted at least that long, lol

J-
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a life proof case for my  iPhone 4s when it was new and my first smart phone so therefore it was a gold nugget.
Encapsulated protection.
Like you my screen plexi cover started to get messed up around the perimeter, specifically on the top corner.
Still have/use the phone
Don't have any cover,been without it for couple yrs and have not f ed it up yet
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
LifeProof is a damn good case, for about a year. It's worth the $80/year to keep your phone in near perfect condition. I just put my 4 in a new case because it was showing signs of wear and the phone looked as if I had just purchased it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I always had good luck with the Otterbox defender. When I upgraded iPhones I switched to the Lunatic case that seemed pretty tuff until 1.5 years later when the metal frame where the mute button is broke apart... Bur the case was still useable. Then while taking the case off the other side of the metal frame broke. Lunatic didnt back their case up so I switched back to an Otterbox Defender. They tend to be able to take all three years worth of wear and tear to protect the phone
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Nuud
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nuud
View Quote

This. I have the LifeProof Nuud case with a glass screen protector made to fit within the seal as to not screw up the seal. Works great, and like another poster said I'll buy one a year for the protection it gives. I have abused the hell out of my iPhone 5S and it looks brand new.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. I have the LifeProof Nuud case with a glass screen protector made to fit within the seal as to not screw up the seal. Works great, and like another poster said I'll buy one a year for the protection it gives. I have abused the hell out of my iPhone 5S and it looks brand new.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nuud

where did you get the glass protector at? That may be a decent route to go.

J-
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
UAG

Great cases.  Better than Otterbox IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:38:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm on my third Lifeproof case for the 4.   So far all of them have been good enough to break within the 1 year warranty period.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:45:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to keep my work I phone 5 (my work phones get abused like no other) in a super duper griffon survivor which lasted 10 months before cracking and falling apart. Now I have 4 months with a magpul I nabbed off amazon for 7$ and a fancy ass thick screen protector from amazon and it has held up to some pretty good impacts (and even thrown against walls ) so far not sure what I'll try next
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Kinda ticked that an $80 case lasts only a year... My fre also started the dive....
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:10:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kinda ticked that an $80 case lasts only a year... My fre also started the dive....
View Quote

Their warranty replacement process is a bit of a pain in the ass; but if you are within a year, they will replace it free.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:17:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Their warranty replacement process is a bit of a pain in the ass; but if you are within a year, they will replace it free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

13 months
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top