Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 8:29:26 PM EDT
What settings are you using on handbrake for DVDs to get a decent 720p quality? I've been playing around and not sure whether I've gotten to the point where I will call it good. I realize DVDs aren't going to give the best quality. Right now I'm using 2500kbps with 2 pass encoding and turbo first pass. I've been keeping the other settings at auto pretty much. Also using web optimized for better Plex playback. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
In before op sent to the corner
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't help you with handbrake.  I can't be sure you are using your own DVD's, and helping you might be considered illegal and put my account in jeopardy.

However Plex server will encode on the fly.  Leave your source alone and let plex server do the work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I use my handbrake so the car does not roll away
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Has ARF gone full retard? I am talking about putting my legally owned DVDs into digital format FFS
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has ARF gone full retard? I am talking about putting my legally owned DVDs into digital format FFS
View Quote

Illegal.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1707916_Posting_about_watching_stolen_movies_on_torrent_sites_is_not_okay_.html
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been ripping my DVDs for years now.  I started my collection in high school as soon as DVDs became popular and just kept buying here and there.  Movies and TV shows.  

I have compared straight mkv rips to handbrake using the "high profile" preset and honestly there's not a whole ton of difference.  

On top of that, depending on the movie itself, quality of various DVDs varies a lot.  If you really want the best quality, I would think a straight .mkv rip of the movie would yield the highest quality but you're getting into 3-7 gigs per rip vs. 1-1.5 gigs when encoded in handbrake.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't help you with handbrake.  I can't be sure you are using your own DVD's, and helping you might be considered illegal and put my account in jeopardy.

However Plex server will encode on the fly.  Leave your source alone and let plex server do the work.
View Quote

The plex server on my QNAP NAS does not transcode on the fly. I had this exact question the other day, and am still looking for an answer myself. Stuff I shot on my old flip video won't even play on my Roku.

ETA: let me rephrase, what format does Plex like, that plays nice with the Plex client on Roku?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't do 720p, but I suspect the high Rez preset should work.  I use the normal and Plex on roku can do pass through without transcoding.

Also look for hand break batch.  Encode multiple files with same preset just walk away
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been ripping my DVDs for years now.  I started my collection in high school as soon as DVDs became popular and just kept buying here and there.  Movies and TV shows.  

I have compared straight mkv rips to handbrake using the "high profile" preset and honestly there's not a whole ton of difference.  

On top of that, depending on the movie itself, quality of various DVDs varies a lot.  If you really want the best quality, I would think a straight .mkv rip of the movie would yield the highest quality but you're getting into 3-7 gigs per rip vs. 1-1.5 gigs when encoded in handbrake.
View Quote

What do you mean by straight mkv rip? Through handbrake or something else?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't do 720p, but I suspect the high Rez preset should work.  I use the normal and Plex on roku can do pass through without transcoding.

Also look for hand break batch.  Encode multiple files with same preset just walk away
View Quote

Yeah I really need to do that. I guess you just iso the DVD first?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MakeMKV.  It scans the DVD and you can chose to rip everything including subtitles, all audio tracks, etc.  It's a whole disc rip without any compression/encoding.  Handbrake has to rip the DVD and encode on the fly.  I rip the .mkv then rip to .m4v in handbrake because I mostly use AppleTV and apple doesn't recognize .mkv, but I'm sure plex does along with VLC on your computer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure on DVD - I do amateur video production for small clients (dance recital, small non profits, etc.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I
Quoted:

MakeMKV.  It scans the DVD and you can chose to rip everything including subtitles, all audio tracks, etc.  It's a whole disc rip without any compression/encoding.  Handbrake has to rip the DVD and encode on the fly.  I rip the .mkv then rip to .m4v in handbrake because I mostly use AppleTV and apple doesn't recognize .mkv, but I'm sure plex does along with VLC on your computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of file size do you end with on a 2hr movie?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a full DVD rip or encoded with handbrake?  Each DVD is different.  Not exactly sure how it translates but newer movies that are shot digitally or with heavy special effects take up more space.  But a 2 hour movies is anywhere from 1 to 1.5gigs with handbrake on the "high profile" preset.  A full rip from MakeMKV is 5 to 6gigs.

Older movies that are poor quality are much smaller in size when ripped/encoded.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On a full DVD rip or encoded with handbrake?  Each DVD is different.  Not exactly sure how it translates but newer movies that are shot digitally or with heavy special effects take up more space.  But a 2 hour movies is anywhere from 1 to 1.5gigs with handbrake on the "high profile" preset.  A full rip from MakeMKV is 5 to 6gigs.

Older movies that are poor quality are much smaller in size when ripped/encoded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting...not sure I have the space for that right now, but it might give a try to compare quality.

On a side note, anyone use Plex to stream from a network mounted drive?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Interesting...not sure I have the space for that right now, but it might give a try to compare quality.

View Quote

Yeah full rips will take up a lot more space obviously.  I only keep them long enough to encode with handbrake then I delete them.  Like I said, I tested quality side by side and to me there wasn't a huge difference.  I've been toying with the idea of getting a blu-ray drive so I could rip the blu-ray movies I have.  Obviously there the size would be worth it because the quality difference compared to dvd would be so much better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah full rips will take up a lot more space obviously.  I only keep them long enough to encode with handbrake then I delete them.  Like I said, I tested quality side by side and to me there wasn't a huge difference.  I've been toying with the idea of getting a blu-ray drive so I could rip the blu-ray movies I have.  Obviously there the size would be worth it because the quality difference compared to dvd would be so much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Any reason you don't just make an iso?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what purpose?  Before I found makemkv others programs I used years ago dealt with ISOs but now the MKV is playable through VLC, so I can check the rip, make sure any foreign subtitles were forced in, etc.

Unless there's another purprose for an iso file i'm not privy to.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For what purpose?  Before I found makemkv others programs I used years ago dealt with ISOs but now the MKV is playable through VLC, so I can check the rip, make sure any foreign subtitles were forced in, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah ok, I was thinking if you were just ripping down the mkv, then you could do the same thing faster just using isos.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ah ok, I was thinking if you were just ripping down the mkv, then you could do the same thing faster just using isos.
View Quote

Yeah I think it would take the same amount of time.  I'm not super techy but I think from my reading that mkv is essentially the same as an iso just a newer file format/codec but meant specifically for video.  

IIRC an ISO is like a mirror image of the disc?  The MKV rip is the same in that you can rip all the content stored on the disc, but the file that's ripped is immediately playing as it's more of a supported standard now whereas I THINK iso was originally meant for copying full software discs, but as I said, I'm not sure on the full history of it.

I have a 2.5ghz i5 iMac and most dvd rips only take 30-40 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illegal.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1707916_Posting_about_watching_stolen_movies_on_torrent_sites_is_not_okay_.html

yup
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illegal.

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but no it's not illegal to make digital copies of your rightfully purchased DVDs/Blurays as long as they don't have DRM.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but no it's not illegal to make digital copies of your rightfully purchased DVDs/Blurays as long as they don't have DRM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illegal.

It is illegal to crack the DRM which all DVDs have

The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM . . . Some courts have tried to leaven this rather harsh rule, but most have not. While it's typically hard to detect small-scale circumvention, the question is whether bypassing DRM is legal. The statute sets up some minor exceptions, but our ripper doesn't fall into any of them. So, the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful

http://lifehacker.com/5978326/is-it-legal-to-rip-a-dvd-that-i-own
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]

1)DVDs are 480 not 720

2)2500kbps
is way too much for 480 video

I use constant quality 20 instead of average bit rate.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illegal.

The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM . . . Some courts have tried to leaven this rather harsh rule, but most have not. While it's typically hard to detect small-scale circumvention, the question is whether bypassing DRM is legal. The statute sets up some minor exceptions, but our ripper doesn't fall into any of them. So, the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful

Obviously you don't read..
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Aha! Plex Media Server on my little 2-bay QNAP can't transcode since the NAS CPU isn't powerful enough. It's just disabled. So I either need to run it on my desktop, or transcode everything before putting it on the PMS.

I'm still looking for the right format to use. :/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

you're breaking the DMCA by bypassing the copy protection on your DVD's, which is an illegal act.    
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all the negatives in your sentence was confusing.  and I didn't read too closely.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

you're breaking the DMCA by bypassing the copy protection on your DVD's, which is an illegal act.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out what format my home videos need to be in to play on my Roku through Plex. So leave me out of the legal discussion. Got 930 videos clips taken with digital cameras and flip video that need to be pre-transcoded.

ETA: And here's my answer: http://www.rokoding.com/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

1)DVDs are 480 not 720

2)2500kbps
is way too much for 480 video

I use constant quality 20 instead of average bit rate.

View Quote

This.  I use MakeMKV to get a main movie file into an MKV file, then Vidcoder (which is Handbrake under the hood) to queue up a bunch of full-size MKV files and then let them all transcode into smaller files overnight or while I'm not home.  Constant quality 20 is usually about right in my (limited) experience.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This.  I use MakeMKV to get a main movie file into an MKV file, then Vidcoder (which is Handbrake under the hood) to queue up a bunch of full-size MKV files and then let them all transcode into smaller files overnight or while I'm not home.  Constant quality 20 is usually about right in my (limited) experience.  
View Quote

I use MakeMKV too for all my Blu-rays and DVDs. I also use Plex and both work great together. Of course my PLEX Media Server is on a very robust PC and not an underpowered NAS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top