Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 6:49:09 PM EDT
So we've had DIRECTV since 2011, and lately, the receiver my mom uses has issues to where she can't "autotune" the box to tune to a certain program at a certain time. Every few days or so I have to reset the box(by pressing the little red button next to the card in the unit) and then the problem goes away and comes back. Anyone know how to resolve this? Should we call DTV for a replacement box?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Your issues make Rob Lowe sad

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
IDK.   Call DirectTv bud
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
How old is the receiver?

I've had Directv for years and our first HD DVR had it's main hard drive fail, which more or less bricked the box. Our second HD DVR box (an HR22) worked well for about three years then it starting having problems where it would fail to load the channel guide info (everything in the channel guide would show up as "to be announced") and at times it would randomly change channels to the previous one you had on. Resetting it fixed the problem for a week or so then it would start doing it again. I called Directv and they replaced it with the newest model HD DVR don't know the model number but it is small and runs much cooler).

When the technician was at our house doing the box and LMB swap he said that the model we had was "well known" to have age related malfunctions... that after two to three years the box would just shit the bed and start going goofy. Ever since our first one shot craps I've been on their "maintenance plan" so I get replacement boxes and yearly dish tweaks at no additional cost.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It's at least a 2011.  I had the one in my room fail two years ago and DTV sent out a new box.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
So you have been a customer of theirs for about 4 years so your contract was up 2 years ago.  Call them up and see if they will replace it free.

Usually they will take care of you the first go round but will try to talk you into the maintenance plan and you can respond with the how about you take your business elsewhere line.

Another option is to call them up and tell them you want to see if you have fulfilled your contract.  When they ask why you can tell them you have been thinking about changing providers because you are having lots of issues with the service and the price is simply too high.
They may just reduce your rate and throw some new boxes your way, just make sure they don't try to get you to renew your contract.

I recently cancelled my service due to a move and had to tell them no to moving the service about 20 times.  Finally they tried to hit me with a early termination (7 year customer) saying I renewed my contract a year before.

I called them on it because I knew had specifically told them I did not want to renew the service a year prior when I had issues with a dvr. I had problems 6 months earlier with another dvr that they switched out without issue but since it had been less than a year they would not do it for free.  I went the route of getting the Maintenance plan instead of renewing the contract.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like they need to replace the box.
Happened to us.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I"ve had directv for 19 years. Sometimes a full power cycle is needed.  Occasionally I have to unplug the unit, wait 15 seconds then plug it back in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I"ve had directv for 19 years. Sometimes a full power cycle is needed.  Occasionally I have to unplug the unit, wait 15 seconds then plug it back in.
View Quote

I'll give that a try and see if that works.  

Barring that, I'll see if we can get a replacement.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Unplug and also pull out the card. That will give it a hard reset. If that doesnt work, call.
View Quote
Do not pull the card out,the only thing that will accomplish is potentially creating more issues.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I had my boxes replaced last year after they were acting up.  They also swapped out the head unit on the dish, saying mine was too old.  I got my DTV in 2010.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You may be the first person I've seen that has had it as long as I have.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Also what happened to channel 9?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
They will send you a new box if you ask if you are under warranty.  If not, for $8 a month you can get a full service plan. I had my dish moved once, LNA replaced twice, and  a new box replaced.  It covers remotes too.  

No need for arfcom, call them fuckers now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top