Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2015 6:36:52 PM EDT
A co-worker of mine told me there used to be records you could cut out of a cereal box and actually play and I didn't believe him until I saw it for myself.

Any of you guys remember them?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup. Up through about the late 60s, maybe early 70s, I don't remember.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell yes!

Thanks I'd forgotten those
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be cool if a company did one nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep I remember them. Cereal used to have prizes in them as well. Choking hazards now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats bad ass. What will they think of next?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I vaguely remember some other promo records. They were super flexible and square.  Probably mid-80s.  They came in magazines I think.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember them well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Captain Crunch cereal used to have a kid's plastic whistle that was the perfect frequency for blowing into a pay phone which would allow you to get free unlimited long distance phone calls. I don't remember how long this went on until the phone company got wise to it and changed things.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I vaguely remember some other promo records. They were super flexible and square.  Probably mid-80s.  They came in magazines I think.
View Quote

McDonalds had some, with some guy that would sing the entire menu, if you got a record where he would sing the whole menu with out screwing up, you would win some sort of prize.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes I remember them. They were such crap quality as you would expect from a cereal box record.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This one would have been cool.

View Quote

That's the coolest box of Lucky Charms ever.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Captain Crunch cereal used to have a kid's plastic whistle that was the perfect frequency for blowing into a pay phone which would allow you to get free unlimited long distance phone calls. I don't remember how long this went on until the phone company got wise to it and changed things.
View Quote

Roughly 2600hz maybe?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a few. They were pretty crappy even by the standards of that day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have a phone phreak on ARFCOM

Remember the floppy celluloid ones in magazines?  One of the girly magazines in the 70s published the Dallas PD open mic recording the of Kennedy Assassination that way
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I cut out a few in The Day.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Neat! I'm not putting one on my turntable, but it looks like he's got a beater there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember them.  My favorite was an Alvin and the Chipmunks record.  I seem to remember it coming from a Fruity Pebbles box, but it was a long time ago so I may be wrong.

I was telling me daughter about it just a week or two ago.  She looked at me like I was talking about my childhood pet Dinosaur.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Sure, I had a few way back when, I had all 4 of 45rpm The Monkees cereal box records, I was the cool kid  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#21]
No, but I just ate some 14 year old Cheerios. Found an unopened box in the back of the cabinet and decided to try them. Weirdly enough, even after 14 years they still tasted like cardboard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#22]
nowadays, they would have to do "cut-out-CD's" because there aren't many record players still around.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember them into the early/mid 70s at least.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember back in the 70's there was this stud American decathlete pictured on a box a Wheaties... won Olympic gold the same year as the United States Bicentennial... greatest athlete on the planet... good looking, all-American dude... captivated the nation, had the world by the balls.

Now he's a broad
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I remember back in the 70's there was this stud American decathlete pictured on a box a Wheaties... won gold the same year as the United States Bicentennial... greatest athlete on the planet... good looking, all-American dude... captivated the nation, had the world by the balls.

Now he's a broad
View Quote
could be one of the many reasons no one is even going to attempt to nominate anything past the 90's....

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Yes, I'm old  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell yes I remember them. Played them on my denim covered little record player
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Mad Magazine even went to the effort of writing and recording their own song and putting the record in the magazine.

"She got a nose job"

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember them. They were warped and played horribly, but if you were careful, you could get them to run.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I remember, as a kid,  sending some box tops or some such in to get a record sent to me. I don't remember what kind of cereal or what the record was. What I do remember is checking the mail
everyday for at least 8 weeks only to find nothing. After giving up hope, it showed up one day, in a large manila envelope, completely folded in half, laying in the mail box with the large black letters
                     DO NOT FOLD
right on top. It was one of those super thin, square records, and it was folded right in the middle along with the envelope, creased so bad it couldn't be used. I was pissed. I still hate that letter carrier
to this day. Prick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I remember them. not that exact one, although I do remember hearing "abc - 123" on the radio. boy, does that make me feel old.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Some music magazines still do press-out thin plastic records.

Quoted:
nowadays, they would have to do "cut-out-CD's" because there aren't many record players still around.
View Quote

I bet a lot of current tweens and teens would be hard pressed to find a CD player outside of a car.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I remember a couple cereal box records from my early youth in the early 80s but I dont remember if it was from current cereal from the time or something from when my Uncle and Aunt were a kid in the 70s and just got saved.
I do remember getting the real flimsy plastic records in cereal and from mail ins a couple time. Always thought it was neat because they were square.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I remember them. not that exact one, although I do remember hearing "abc - 123" on the radio. boy, does that make me feel old.
View Quote

Two of my cereal box The Monkees records were 'I'm a Believer' and 'Stepping Stone'... now that's old    Considering the option, I'll take old  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#35]
yep, had several. most of them skipped or repeated, but I still played them and thought they were neat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I remember them.  Back then if you could keep a Fizzie on your tongue until it completely dissolved, you became a local hero.  Growing up in the 50's and 60's was da bomb....Until you hit 18.  My draft number was 242.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This one would have been cool.

http://genxz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ki.jpg

Back when you could actually use the word "Sugar" in the cereal name and not get attacked by 87 different bogus agencies.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Only slightly tangential.  My brother and I were recently going through a trunk of stuff from our grandparents.   We found a Pepsi Cola Homefront record.  During WWII Pepsi and other companies would record messages from GIs and send them home to their families.  Thin veneer of acetate over cardboard. 78rpm.  Couple of minutes of my Grandfather's voice talking to his wife 70 years ago.  My brother is converting it to MP3 to preserve the message.  -J
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I remember them
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember, as a kid,  sending some box tops or some such in to get a record sent to me. I don't remember what kind of cereal or what the record was. What I do remember is checking the mail
everyday for at least 8 weeks only to find nothing. After giving up hope, it showed up one day, in a large manila envelope, completely folded in half, laying in the mail box with the large black letters
                     DO NOT FOLD
right on top. It was one of those super thin, square records, and it was folded right in the middle along with the envelope, creased so bad it couldn't be used. I was pissed. I still hate that letter carrier
to this day. Prick.
View Quote

No big loss.

i got the same record.

All it said was something like "Don't forget to drink Ovaltine"

Crappy background music as well.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember them a little later...early 80's
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I remember them. They were warped and played horribly, but if you were careful, you could get them to run.
View Quote

we used to take an disposable pie tin and glue the cardboard to them so you could play them. punch a hole for the midlle and trim the thin alumimum to fit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Only slightly tangential.  My brother and I were recently going through a trunk of stuff from our grandparents.   We found a Pepsi Cola Homefront record.  During WWII Pepsi and other companies would record messages from GIs and send them home to their families.  Thin veneer of acetate over cardboard. 78rpm.  Couple of minutes of my Grandfather's voice talking to his wife 70 years ago.  My brother is converting it to MP3 to preserve the message.  -J
View Quote

Wow!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I remember them
View Quote

So do I.  I recall the playing could be iffy.  If the box was too warped, the "record" wouldn't play too well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I actually remember getting the Jackson 5 recording ABC on a cereal box
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#46]
You must be a young'un.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't know this.  The Carlisle Military History Museum may be interested in a copy of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember then and all kinds of cool cereal toys
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Got a square record out of this magazine.  I believe the song was "Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" by Joe Satriani.  Sound quality was pretty decent circa 1989.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Yep I am old.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top