Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 6:05:14 PM EDT
Have a slow week and decided to go thru some family stuff.
Found my dads camera set up

I always thought it was a OM1 but realized that the OM1 in my mind was from jr high photography class.
Looked on eBay and some google forum threads and apparently it's pretty desirable.
My dad used to be all about snapping pics in the 80's, messing with the camera etc .
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
do they even make film for that
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a like-new OM2-N I bought in the early 2000's to do astrophotography.  Unfortunately life happened and I never got around to using it.  Sure don't make em like that anymore.  More metal than plastic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that's a nice find.  The OM-3 was arguably the finest 35mm camera that Oly ever built.  It has the same multi faceted light metering system that the OM-4 had but, unlike the OM-4, the OM-3 has a pure mechanical shutter meaning that it can still be used if/when the batteries fail.  A true professional photo journalists camera.

While the OM-4 was made in vast quantities, Oly never made many copies of the OM-3 as the pure mechanical shutter feature it was not in high demand by the general public. For this reason, among others, the OM-3 still commands relatively high prices from collectors.

I've got three OM-4's but never did manage to snag an OM-3.  

Too bad you didn't find a couple thousand rolls of Kodachrome 64 to go along with it.  

dp
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow, that's a nice find.  The OM-3 was arguably the finest 35mm camera that Oly ever built.  It has the same multi faceted light metering system that the OM-4 had but, unlike the OM-4, the OM-3 has a pure mechanical shutter meaning that it can still be used if/when the batteries fail.  A true professional photo journalists camera.

While the OM-4 was made in vast quantities, Oly never made many copies of the OM-3 as the pure mechanical shutter feature it was not in high demand by the general public. For this reason, among others, the OM-3 still commands relatively high prices from collectors.

Too bad you didn't find a couple thousand rolls of Kodachrome 64 to go along with it.  

dp
View Quote

I noticed when I advanced the film or cocked it with my thumb for lack of a better description and pushed the shutter button I don't hear it click - maybe it's needs to be cleaned or something
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you even get film processed now?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are still a lot of ways that film outperforms digital imaging.  Image access time is the only real shortcoming of film.  Film is high tech chemistry.  Digital is high tech electronics.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

dp
View Quote

Sadly, the last processor of Kodachrome closed the line a few years ago.

End of Kodachrome
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I still have an OM2 from 1979.
My daughter used it in her highschool B&W photography course a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top