Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:33:00 PM EDT
I don't get it, I'm 42 years old and I consider myself internet/tech savy. I don't know anyone in a diverse group of peers who actually uses twitter regular basis or makes tweets. FB on the other hand everyone is part of and checks/updates constantly.

The only exceptions are my 16-22 year old niece/nephews, they seem to follow famous folks they are fans of.

If folks reporting "the news" give twitter responses and hash-tag info so much clout are they making a poor decision with the group of folks actually using it.

I don't think its popular enough for all age groups to take tweets and report them like that is the mainstream feeling on news stories yet on every .com newsite they goto hashtags and tweets to help make their story. Is this lazy journalism?

Im not against using twitter I just don't think the small slice of society that is using it should be able to speak for all of us. I dont think its users are a broad enough range of the folks out there in general.

Am I wayyyyy off here?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell if I know.   I thought it was a small slice at first also, but I think most of the public uses the damn thing.
I laughed at Instagram at first, but it has got some of my photos published so I like it now.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
 fifty years old. '
 See references to  face-twitter all the time on here, and elsewhere...  never gone insta-gramface-twitting yet.

What did I miss ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm damn near 60, and WAY more tech-savvy than 90% of the folks I know. I know a lot of them play Book-face, but I know of absolutely no one using Twit-shit.

Personally, I have no desire to know what miniscule, meaningless thing anyone is  doing at any given moment, and I sure as hell don't want the rest of the world to know MY life's details!

I think it's a passing fad...we'll see how things go after the children get a bit older and move on to meaningful activities in their lives.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Journalists have become lazy in the days of social media and opinion and propaganda reporting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Hashtags are an easy way to see what many different people are saying about a certain subject at any given time. I find them to be useful. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't get it, I'm 42 years old and I consider myself internet/tech savy. I don't know anyone in a diverse group of peers who actually uses twitter regular basis or makes tweets. FB on the other hand everyone is part of and checks/updates constantly.

The only exceptions are my 16-22 year old niece/nephews, they seem to follow famous folks they are fans of.

If folks reporting "the news" give twitter responses and hash-tag info so much clout are they making a poor decision with the group of folks actually using it.

I don't think its popular enough for all age groups to take tweets and report them like that is the mainstream feeling on news stories yet on every .com newsite they goto hashtags and tweets to help make their story. Is this lazy journalism?

Im not against using twitter I just don't think the small slice of society that is using it should be able to speak for all of us. I dont think its users are a broad enough range of the folks out there in general.

Am I wayyyyy off here?
View Quote

Yes, by about 20 years.

Don't feel bad.  I'm 32 and don't care about it either.  And I'm about as big a computer guy as they come.  All that social media stuff is a trend.  It picks up with younger generations until it either dies (Myspace) or beats the odds and sticks (Facebook).  Either way, us old farts tend to stick to what we "know".  On the other hand, kids tend to gravitate towards shiny and new because they are too young to "know" anything.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
53 and I have no idea how Twitter works or what Twitter even is for.  I live on FB and here along with many other sites.  I do look at this site from time to time.http://www.breakingnews.com/
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hashtags are an easy way to see what many different people are saying about a certain subject at any given time. I find them to be useful. YMMV.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The media-entertainment complex (and the far leftists that dominate it) really ke the idea that people can't think or communicate past the 140-charactear mark.

I expect some sort of Mini-Twitter, that only uses monosyllabic words and 65 characters to be the next big thing.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
#idon'tusetwiter
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
They want to seem Hip and access social media, thus pretend they are relevant in a digital age.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm 42.  Only folks I know doing the hashtag-every-fucking-thing-they-type are girls in their teens-mid 20's, which is logical since they think the whole damn universe revolves around them.

Facebook was OK for a while getting back in touch with people I'd lost all contact with, then started getting old watching everyone's drama.  Otherwise, email and telephone work fine if you want to contact me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
#fart
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#15]
You know how everyone complains they don't have a way for others to hear them? That no one represents them? That we can't get the attention fro mthe decision makers?

Twitter is one way people have to get their voice out there. Hashtags, (the "#") is a tag that allows a user to have their posts marked in a certain ways. It allows people to research the metrics of certain public feelings.

For example if there are 10 millions examples of "#Gunssavelives" and 300k occurrences of "#gunsareevil" it allows people to measure public perception of the issue.

Now, often something like "#bringbackourgirls" or "#kony2012" are used as a way to gain attention to an issue that might be overlooked. In those cases its akin to raising awareness of a problem without actually trying to fix the problem. (Like wearing pink for breast cancer).

You'll also see events with a hastag so that no matter who posted pictures and videos, they're all accessible to the people that attended. I've seen something like "#bethbslastnightout" where every picture tagged from that party can easily be marked pulled up by any of the attendants to facilitate photo sharing.

Think #SHOT2015. You'd be able to find anything posted from this years SHOT show.

It's partly a metrics tool to gauge public perception for policy makers or advertisers. But to ignore and brush off social media is short sighted. The internet is the last bastion of free public conversation. The media is left leaning, but the populace is center/right. The internet and social media allow everyone to have a voice, and access to information. The internet is the only way to fight the lies of the establishment.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a twatter account for about a week.  I couldn't keep up with all the twats so I gave up on twittering the twatter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You know how everyone complains they don't have a way for others to hear them? That no one represents them? That we can't get the attention fro mthe decision makers?

Twitter is one way people have to get their voice out there. Hashtags, (the "#") is a tag that allows a user to have their posts marked in a certain ways. It allows people to research the metrics of certain public feelings.

For example if there are 10 millions examples of "#Gunssavelives" and 300k occurrences of "#gunsareevil" it allows people to measure public perception of the issue.

Now, often something like "#bringbackourgirls" or "#kony2012" are used as a way to gain attention to an issue that might be overlooked. In those cases its akin to raising awareness of a problem without actually trying to fix the problem. (Like wearing pink for breast cancer).

You'll also see events with a hastag so that no matter who posted pictures and videos, they're all accessible to the people that attended. I've seen something like "#bethbslastnightout" where every picture tagged from that party can easily be marked pulled up by any of the attendants to facilitate photo sharing.

Think #SHOT2015. You'd be able to find anything posted from this years SHOT show.

It's partly a metrics tool to gauge public perception for policy makers or advertisers. But to ignore and brush off social media is short sighted. The internet is the last bastion of free public conversation. The media is left leaning, but the populace is center/right. The internet and social media allow everyone to have a voice, and access to information. The internet is the only way to fight the lies of the establishment.
View Quote

This.

Anyone who thinks Twitter is solely the domain of teenage girls simply isn't paying attention.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#18]
No clue. Seems like a stunningly stupid medium.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I am 28, don't understand it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm 71 and have a Twitter account but seldom use it to post anything. The reason I got it is that a Japanese friend of mine said Twitter was the only way they could communicate when the tsunami hit. Cell phones were down, networks, etc but Twitter was still up and running. Maybe some of you techy gurus can explain how it could work when email and other systems were down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#21]
People use Twitter to argue with other people they don't like or agree with.  

There is a genius website www.twitchy.com that summarizes the best/worst tweets so you don't actually have to use Twitter.

I generally don't get the point of Twitter either, but very famous and high profile people use it and reveal how fucking stupid they are.

Main thing I don't get is they do people have two identifiers?  They have the @identity and then another one they can change.   Why?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm 71 and have a Twitter account but seldom use it to post anything. The reason I got it is that a Japanese friend of mine said Twitter was the only way they could communicate when the tsunami hit. Cell phones were down, networks, etc but Twitter was still up and running. Maybe some of you techy gurus can explain how it could work when email and other systems were down.
View Quote

If he could access twitter then he was getting data from somewhere which means he could have possibly used facebook or other apps as well. If the bandwidth was limited then twitter is probably more efficient to use and not as slow as facebook though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm under 40, a programmer working on an iOS and Android app, and I don't give a crap about Twitter. To me, it's basically opt-in advertising. I get enough advertising blasted at me, I don't need to volunteer for more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]
simple things fill simple minds
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

simple things fill simple minds
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If he could access twitter then he was getting data from somewhere which means he could have possibly used facebook or other apps as well. If the bandwidth was limited then twitter is probably more efficient to use and not as slow as facebook though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had FB accounts but they werent working.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.

Anyone who thinks Twitter is solely the domain of teenage girls simply isn't paying attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

yep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#29]
#dontfuckingcareabouttwittwer
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#30]

I don't give a shit about twitter and how many twits something gets.  #FUCKTWITTER      and #FUCKBHO
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hashtag

30 round standard capacity magazines.

repeatedly.

hashtag

AR15 target rifle.

repeatedly.

Put all the useless shit on hold for a week, and

fill up the entire  internet with standard capacity 30 round magazines, and autoloading target rifles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#32]
#HashTagsMatter

That is the limit of my knowledge.  Now get off my lawn
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Hashtag/Pound sign is stupid

#WhiteLivesMatterMore

#LiberalsLie

#SomeWomenLieAboutSexualAssaults
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#34]

A maximum of 140-characters appeals to even the most ADD among us.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I was listening to a podcast where Tim Ferriss was interviewing Peter Diamantas, who founded the X Prize.  Tim said in Peter Thiel's venture fund office, there's a poster on the wall that says "We were promised flying cars, we got 140 characters."

The point was not to waste your time on earth creating trivial shit like Twitter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah but without Twitter you wouldn't get to enjoy hashtags like #TomBradyHasSaggyBalls

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I like news "articles" that are nothing more than a bunch of screenshot of tweets

I do use twitter though, mainly to follow people, I rarely tweet

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe if you ascertain the structural differences between FB and twitter, you will understand why they are used differently.

Is this lazy posting, or should I sprinkle in some rosy lensed butthurt about muh flying carriages to enhance rapport?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top