Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:22:54 PM EDT
Do you use your turn signal when you're in a turning lane?  I've noticed maybe 25% of the people around here do, which is less than I see for all other turns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You're turning, so why wouldn't you use your signal
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally my turn signal is still on from when I signaled I was getting in to the turn only lane.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Assuming you're in a lane where your only option is to turn, why would you need to signal?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]
most of the dimwits in my AO think the center lane is a merge lane
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Dude, I use my turn signal in parking lots.

What do you think?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you use your turn signal when you're in a turning lane?  I've noticed maybe 25% of the people around here do, which is less than I see for all other turns.
View Quote

Sometimes yes. Most of the time no.

If I'm stopped at a light in a line of cars to turn I usually don't. If I'm the first then yea.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Use your fucking turn signals.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#10]
It comes on to change lanes so I guess I do
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I do it to acknowledge that I am aware of what lane I'm in and that I will be turning.  I've seen too many confused people pull back into traffic from a turn lane without having a signal on.  When I see someone in a turn only lane without a signal, I figure they are either lazy or confused.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a stop (no ticket) for using a turn signal to signal my intent to exit a traffic circle once. It was late at night, and the cop just wanted to search my car. I got hassled for about 30 minutes, and a warning.

I'd call the lawn care service, and based upon their response, call the "community policing division" of your local PD.

ETA, oops, wrong thread.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have seen folks signal because the road has a sharp turn in it....

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't when I'm at a dedicated left-turn light.. no need to burn out the bulb 3x faster than the right one.

I do tap the signal stalk (flashes the signal three times on newer Fords) when I actually go to make the turn.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dude, I use my turn signal in parking lots.

What do you think?

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Generally my turn signal is still on from when I signaled I was getting in to the turn only lane.
View Quote

Not a good idea if there are any entrance/exit drives between you and the corner you're actually turning at, some texting/smartphone using moron pulling out will think you're turning in and end up pulling out right in front of you.  I have to use 2 different right turn lanes daily, in both there are entrances/exits to businesses, I signal the lane change to the turn lane, turn the signal off until I clear the last entrance/exit drive then turn the signal back on to signal the turn, to just leave it on is inviting someone to pull out in front of you.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I always try and use my turn signals when turning, regardless of lane type.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Assuming you're in a lane where your only option is to turn, why would you need to signal?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BINGO!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#20]
No need for turn signals. Keeps the rest of the cell-phone texting, coffee drinkers on their toes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Depends.  If I've been in the lane for awhile, and it turns into a 'turn only' lane, I might skip the blinker.

If I just turned into said lane, I'll leave my blinker on.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes.

Usually it's on already from the lane change.  If it's a long light I'll often turn it off so I don't have to listen to "click-click-click-click..."
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Leaving lane... Yes. Turning along dashed lines (multiple turn lanes) then no since it may indicate hopping lanes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To give a heads-up to opposite direction traffic who may not know there is a "turn only" lane.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Same people that do this say ATM Machine and use Oxford commas.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I typically do, yeah. Not a bad habit to have.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to do this about half a mile from my parents house.  

The road is straight and has a sharp 90 degree left hand turn and also has a road on the right (that you would signal for if you were turning).

Sometimes, for whatever reason, I would come up to that curve and every now and then I would activate my turn signal...the only thing I can think of that caused me to do it was having to slow down for the curve, my mind automatically tells me to turn on the signal.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Always
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been ticketed, years ago, for not using mine in a turning lane.
I used it to enter the lane, but the reset cam turned it off as I turned into the lane
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I always use my turn signal if I'm turning, even if I'm in a "must turn" lane.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Always.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#35]

I do.  Just so everybody knows what I'm intending to do.  

Tell them what you're going to tell them.

Tell them.

Tell them what you just told them.

It works, or the military wouldn't do it, right?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So those LEDs in those new Fords are rated for 10,000 hours. Figure that you spend 8 hours a day driving and about 4 hours a day waiting in the left hand turn lane meaning that bulb is only going to last 20 years and change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't when I'm at a dedicated left-turn light.. no need to burn out the bulb 3x faster than the right one.

I do tap the signal stalk (flashes the signal three times on newer Fords) when I actually go to make the turn.

So those LEDs in those new Fords are rated for 10,000 hours. Figure that you spend 8 hours a day driving and about 4 hours a day waiting in the left hand turn lane meaning that bulb is only going to last 20 years and change.

Yeah, but the right bulb will last 60 years!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe so people know your intention when your pulling into the turning lane instead of someone possibly not paying attention (texting) who may be veering or drifting into your lane head on ?
Or because people around here pulling out of parking lots taking a left use the turn lane to cross into and drive in it until they can merge into traffic going the other direction on busy 4 lane streets.
It's a common courtesy to let other drivers around you know your intentions. Plus in heavy traffic you may find people return the courtesy by letting you merge into other lanes and such.
Yes it's a goddammed peeve of mine.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Only if there are other drivers around who might be interested.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#39]
You really should, not just for the people behind you but for the "brain fart drivers" coming at you in the opposite direction texting, talking, or just day dreaming.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#40]
In a turn lane with a turn only light? I don't really see a need. A turn signal is to indicate to those around you of your intent. Everyone around you knows you're intending to turn....cause you're in a turn lane.

If the law says you're supposed to have a signal on, under that circumstance, it's a stupid law.

Other than that, I religiously use my signals and it pisses me off when other's don't use them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I do, but just to be clear about my intentions.

Sometimes ambiguity causes problems on the roadway.  I prefer not to be near any of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes--I'm a rule follower.  

I do recall a thread a couple years ago where a member was complaining he got a ticket for failing to use it while in a turn only lane.  Apparently the law sees the need to do so.  
View Quote

I too use me signal, but if you are in a lane that requires you by law to turn, I'd think that one could argue that just being in that lane should be signal enough.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Morons. Use your signal when changing lanes and then turn the damn thing off. Nothing worse than sitting at a light at 0600 getting your retinas burned out by those bright ass LED lights. You've already signaled your intentions by being in the lane anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In a turn lane with a turn only light? I don't really see a need. A turn signal is to indicate to those around you of your intent. Everyone around you knows you're intending to turn....cause you're in a turn lane.

If the law says you're supposed to have a signal on, under that circumstance, it's a stupid law.

Other than that, I religiously use my signals and it pisses me off when other's don't use them.
View Quote

Unless I see a turn signal I assume the person is going straight.  I never assume someone is turning even though they are in a turn lane.  Too many idiots out there that go in the turn lane and don't turn.

Heck, I'll sometimes use a signal around sharp turns (out of habit, I think).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also makes a *really* irritating noise.

I clearly display my intentions to those around me when I drive.. it's kid of a pet peeve.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Yep, force of habit.  If I were trying to justify it somehow though, I'd say I do it because my car may be obscuring the painted arrows.  My turn signal conveys the same information.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always keep mine on whether im turning or not

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#50]
It depends on the size and layout of the intersection, I'm about 50/50 on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top