Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:58:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I use 3.0 grains of Titegroup in my 9mm loadings and they are plenty fast.  41.0 grains of pistol powder (fast burning) is basically a mini pipe bomb...as evidenced by the photos.  Dude is lucky he has two hands still.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruined the rifle, glass a perfectly good hand and at least one pair of shorts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My reloading bench is in my garage, my powder is stored inside. Only 1 type of powder is allowed in the garage at any one time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
good god
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Reading comprehension. Denny has none. The first thing I do before I buy powder is pickup the bottle and make sure I can use it in what I want to reload. Guy is lucky.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My reloading bench is in my garage, my powder is stored inside. Only 1 type of powder is allowed in the garage at any one time.
View Quote

I follow that advice, except that I have my bench and my powder in the same room.  Only one jug of powder is out of the cabinet at a time.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to think I would notice the powder was not extruded as I loaded.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Rule #5 of reloading.  

Know the shape of the powder you are using.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Reading comprehension. Denny has none. The first thing I do before I buy powder is pickup the bottle and make sure I can use it in what I want to reload. Guy is lucky.
View Quote

He knew what to use it for he just grabbed the wrong bottle when he started reloading. I do question how an experienced reloader would not know the difference of the grains  by sight as they look nothing alike.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been reloading for better part of a decade now and I still only use a single stage and double check every step and I load ALOT.  Reloading can be very dangerous and people dont understand when I tell them that I wont load ammo for them.  Even if they offer to pay.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a fire proof locker I bought from a going out of business sale. I get out one type of powder at a time to put on the bench.
I always double check the powder type before putting any in the powder dispenser.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

It even feels different coming out of a powder drop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

No shit...

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn. He's lucky to be live after that rifle blew up.

PSA's like this help remind everyone to correctly ID powder before loading.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
He knew what to use it for he just grabbed the wrong bottle when he started reloading.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He knew what to use it for he just grabbed the wrong bottle when he started reloading.

Novice reloader. He didn't know what Varget or Titegroup looked like.  Not that visual ID is smart as primary identification, it will keep you somewhat safer since most pistol powders look quite different.

I don't know the volumetric density of Titegroup but that too should be a clue.  Guess 41 grains nearly filled the case, meaning he weighed the charge.  

More props to Lee as they list VMD and have meaningful calibration of their measures.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a good idea. I screwed up several months ago. I was loading .9mm and needed to fill the powder hopper. I grabbed the wrong bottle and ended up mixing acute 2015 rifle powder with accurate #5 pistol powder. Had to destroy about a 1/2 lb of powder. Fortunately I measure every 10 rnds so I didn't have to dump to many casings.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sounds and feels different pouring in hopper too

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Novice reloader.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Novice reloader.

RIF

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/titegroup/

At that point, Denny realized what caused the accident — “operator error”. He knew he had to warn others about using the wrong powder: “I knew I needed to share my mistake, even though it is embarrassing, just to remind people. I’ve been reloading for 30 years…”
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]
No fucking shit they're not interchangeable...

I converted most of my pistol loads over to Titegroup because it's low throw weight, position ally indifferent and is not affected by temperatures we see around here.

But damn it, no Titegroup has come back to the PNW in like 18 months. Plenty of TiteWAD though...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Big mistake, he lucked out
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That seems logical and prudent.  That dude is lucky he didn't loose an eye as well
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Novice reloader.

RIF

At that point, Denny realized what caused the accident — "operator error”. He knew he had to warn others about using the wrong powder: "I knew I needed to share my mistake, even though it is embarrassing, just to remind people. I’ve been reloading for 30 years…”
You may say complacency was his fault.  He was a novice because he didn't double check.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn. You would think they would like color code labels like they do with Shotgun shells to try keep mix ups to a minimum.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Novice reloader.

RIF

At that point, Denny realized what caused the accident — “operator error”. He knew he had to warn others about using the wrong powder: “I knew I needed to share my mistake, even though it is embarrassing, just to remind people. I’ve been reloading for 30 years…”

I read that and although he may have had reloading equipment for 30 years, that is a very novice mistake.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#28]
If he sues Hogden for this, I hope Charles Schumer sues him for the pipe bomb
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Friend of mine had that happen once-but his was from buying gunshow powder. Bought some Winchester rifle powder. Not sealed but can was full. Loaded for a .458 based on that powder's data. When he got out of the hospital they had the powder analyzed(I assume the manufacturer asked for the powder and they did it). Turned out to be Winchester rifle powder with a good bit of Bullseye mixed in. He was lucky and got by with some powder burns and little more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#32]
"a little goes a long way"
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Ouch
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#34]
so how much pistol powder would be equivalent to rifle?  less than 1/3?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Damn. You would think they would like color code labels like they do with Shotgun shells to try keep mix ups to a minimum.
View Quote

Shotshell color coding is not failsafe either. I've had 10, 12 and 20 gauge shells all in green or black before. IIRC the green was Nitro-Steel and black was Winchester Supreme but it's been 15+ years since I've seen them the same color. My current 10 gauge Nitro-Steel are a muddy green-brown color, very different than the typical true brown Federal makes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Talk about a brain fart. Hopefully it's not the early stages of dimentia.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depending on the powder possibly less than 1/4. .30-06, for example-a tame load is roughly 45 grains of 4895. I've seen cast bullet plinking loads using Unique listed using 10 grains(never used them, but they're out there)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

This was my thoughts as well.  These two powders are not even remotely similar in appearance.  The guy got lucky, that's all I can say.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#41]
This is why I don't reload.
And because I don't reload, I don't shoot very much.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Yup, that is what happens....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Powders are rated by the speed at which they burn.  Pistol powders typically burn faster than powders used for rifle loads.   And different powders are used for different cartridges, as well.  There is not really a way to compare them the way you asked.  For instance, you can't substitute a smaller load of pistol powder to equal a rifle load.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yup, that is what happens....
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#45]
That's gonna ruin his weekend.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Novice reloader. He didn't know what Varget or Titegroup looked like.  Not that visual ID is smart as primary identification, it will keep you somewhat safer since most pistol powders look quite different.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know the volumetric density of Titegroup but that too should be a clue.  Guess 41 grains nearly filled the case, meaning he weighed the charge.  

More props to Lee as they list VMD and have meaningful calibration of their measures.

He had been loading for over 30 years.  What he did comment on that he had never loaded Varget before, and had forgotten that he had the Titegroup and grabbed it by mistake and did not look at the labels.(Label facing away)

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow, that must have made one hell of a racket.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is why I don't reload.
And because I don't reload, I don't shoot very much.

View Quote

Poor reason not to reload IMO... are you scared to drive a vehicle as well?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You may say complacency was his fault.  He was a novice because he didn't double check.  
View Quote

I've known (Not personally) 30 year master electricians that have electrocuted themselves simply because they didn't double check.  There is no way they were novices.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#50]
A friend of my uncles (and a guy that has been reloading for probably 35 or 40 years) was loading for a 7mm mag. He grabbed the wrong bottle off of the shelf and put a faster burning .223 powder into the 7mm mag. Not sure exactly which powders he mixed up though. I don't ask any questions on this subject. My uncle was the one who got to shoot the first round out of the gun. There was fiberglass embedded all around his glasses in his face and the scope went flying over his head. Both of these guys are extremely experienced reloaders.

This all happened a year or so before I started reloading and I took one of the most valuable lessons about reloading from it. Only 1 powder on the bench at any time. Even experienced guys can have slip ups from time to time. It's best to try and do anything you can to prevent them from happening.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top