Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 3:27:15 PM EDT
So, a buddy has found himself going through and moving his fathers firearms collection. I'll tell you, it's been a fun few days just seeing a bunch of rifles and pistols I've never seen before, and while this won't be a thread to show all the interesting items....

I do have questions about a bayonet we found....it wasn't attached to a rifle.
I've never seen one a) this large/long, b) with an oddly shaped head, c) holy sawback, batman!

So, can anybody clue me in as to what we've got here? Obviously we think it's cool and all, but is it something at all rare or is it just a run of the mill bayo of a style I've simply not seen before?

...brief googling has pointed to Swiss origins...has "HS" or "WS" stamped on blade....serial number stamped on handle.....Maybe a model 1914 Pioneer issued with a K31? source

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are referred to as "pioneer" bayonets. The back end was used as a saw and not to gut an enemy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You know what your friend has to do now right?
Buy a rifle that goes on....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
At one time, the posts for barbed wire was wooden.  What I heard was the night before an offensive, these bayonets were used to partially saw through the posts so they could be easily kicked down when the offensive started.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Reminds me of the Argentine saw tooth bayonet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know what your friend has to do now right?

Buy a rifle that goes on....
View Quote

What I said after googling.....
"you know, if this is a bayo for a K31, you know you have to go find a damn K31 to put it on right?"
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those are referred to as "pioneer" bayonets. The back end was used as a saw and not to gut an enemy.
View Quote

1) your synopsis is undoubtedly true, but I was hoping for a cooler story, oh well...
2) I'll easily buy the part about it being a saw.......it's sharp as hell!  I think when it comes to trimming trees, this thing would put my home depot pruning saw to shame.
3) you have the best avatar on this site! sometimes when daydreaming I find myself trying to replicate that little doodle, but it never comes out quite right....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting "Notch" on the handle
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interesting "Notch" on the handle
View Quote

yeah, we noticed and discussed that....but, honestly it's probably never been used....the blade seems to be in perfect shape...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Pulled from White Wolfe's link:
Model 1914 Pioneer Bayonet - Often mistakenly referred to as 1911 Pioneer

Blade Length - 18.9" (480mm)
Handle Length - 4.9" (124mm)
Total Length -  24" (610mm)
Muzzle Ring Diameter - .56" (14.2mm)
Issued with : Schmidt-Rubin Models 1911 Carbine, K31
Manufacturers: Elsener Schwyz, H.S., H.St., Waffenfabrik Neuhausen

Description:  The Model 1914 differs from earlier sawtooth models with the addition of the bulge at the end of the blade.  Also, the 1914 is fullered on only one side.  A musician's variant also exists, where the handle groove is filled in.

The Model 1914 was issued to only select troops.  When issued with K31s the were issued to:

- Genie Truppen
(Engineers)
-Fahrerkorporale und beritten Wacthmeister der Artillerie
(Driver Corporals and mounted artillery Sergeants)
-Hufschmeid, Hufschmeid -Gefreite, -Korporal, -wacthmeister
(blacksmiths,  blacksmith Private First Classes or lance corporal, blacksmith Sergeants.)
-Trainsoldaten, traingefreite, trainkorporal, trainwacthmeister
(Horse transport soldiers, PFCs, corporals and sergeants)
-Sattlers
(Saddle makers)
- Fahrer Feld Artillerie, Fahrer Feld Haubitze, Fahrer Schwer Feld Haubitze,
(Drivers for Motorized Field Artillery, Howitzers and Heavy Howitzers)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top