Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:21:28 PM EDT
Anyone here do it?

Seems like a simple job is this something anyone can do at their own leisure?

I'm in construction so when work is slow and i'm laid off it's something to do and maybe decent extra $.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone here do it?

I'm in construction so when work is slow and i'm laid off it's something to do and maybe decent extra $.
View Quote

got one in my BNI group but I've never done it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
No.  But I use a mix of process servers.  Unless it's some specialty service like international or across the country, it would be hard to make a decent buck on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.  But I use a mix of process servers.  Unless it's some specialty service like international or across the country, it would be hard to make a decent buck on it.
View Quote

So not really a mom and pop type industry then?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Freelance process servers are pretty rare around here.

Most of it around here is done "in house" of by the Sheriff's Office.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a neighbor that did it. He had his ass kicked a couple of times for not a lot of money . He seemed to do alright otherwise
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a neighbor that did it. He had his ass kicked a couple of times for not a lot of money . He seemed to do alright otherwise
View Quote

Probably divorce ones that he got attacked on right?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I work with alot of security guys who do it..It does not pay at all...$40-$50 max around here.  To serve someone you can spend many hours searching plus you pay for your car and gas....

I know a guy had to serve some guy 100 miles away and he was onto being served. Took 3 tries before he got. thats 600 miles of driving and many hours for $50.Cost way more than $50 he made.

But they also say some are simple 1-2 hours. But minimum you will spend working one is 2 hours, you must pick up original paperwork and serve originals in my state.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be.  For the local stuff we use a guy who is on is own.  He charges $75 per subpoena or summons.  If he had a huge volume he'd do well. But he's the kind of guy that comes running when we call and gets it served A.S.A.P.   I know other folks use him, but he can't be that busy if he's here at a moment's notice to service process.  And keep in mind, I'm in a County with a 1,000,000 + people.   The local court is one of the busier ones out there.  That means a lot of subpoenas and summonses served.   In more rural areas I'm betting the opportunities are much fewer and further between.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I work with alot of security guys who do it..It does not pay $40-$50 to serve someone you can spend many hours searching plus you pay for your car and gas.....

I know a guy had to serve some guy 100 miles away and he was onto being served. Took 3 tries before he got. thats 600 miles of driving and many hours for $50.
View Quote

That's not even worth it if you had a prius.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I work with alot of security guys who do it..It does not pay $40-$50 to serve someone you can spend many hours searching plus you pay for your car and gas.....

I know a guy had to serve some guy 100 miles away and he was onto being served. Took 3 tries before he got. thats 600 miles of driving and many hours for $50.

Not even worth it on a  motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carried a recorder, at least one pistol, and a big can of Fox Labs spritzer.

I was never attacked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
One of my buddies serves warrants AND he has a Private Investigator's license.  A few local lawyers use him for all their legwork (spy on cheating spouses, watch accident victims, serve papers, whatever).  

He seems to enjoy his work but I don't think he makes a lot of cash.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I did it for more than 20 years as a side line to my PI business.  I charged by the hour plus mileage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe the better ARFCOM question is: "Have you been served papers by a private process server?"

I have.......Then again, I knew the server and was expecting the paper.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both of my motorcycles I've had (Yamaha R6, 1200 sportster) only got 40-45 MPG. Prius's gets better MPG...........and i don't have or want a prius.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One of my buddies serves warrants AND he has a Private Investigator's license.  A few local lawyers use him for all their legwork (spy on cheating spouses, watch accident victims, serve papers, whatever).  
He seems to enjoy his work but I don't think he makes a lot of cash.  
View Quote

So does he actually arrest people like as in a bounty hunter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe the better ARFCOM question is: "Have you been served papers by a private process server?"

View Quote

Yes.  I was served with a lawsuit under Virginia's anti-dueling statute.  Judge tossed the case at the initial hearing.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#18]
This is a pretty geographically specific question. I've served several hundred but I can't say whether or not it will work for you.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes.  I was served with a lawsuit under Virginia's anti-dueling statute.  Judge tossed the case at the initial hearing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we talking a duel like in a western movie here?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, back story?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I try to provide pictures, schedule, license plate #, etc etc etc.  Servers charge $75/hr around here with 1 hr. minimum charge.  

I have 1 person who can serve anyone anywhere.  His fastest turnaround was 17 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb, but now mildly amusing story.  

Back story on the anti-dueling statute here.  http://www.virginiadefamationlawyer.com/2012/08/virginias-insulting-words-statute.html

The law stems from 1810 where dueling had very serious consequences.  For instance, members of the General Assembly had to take an oath that they had never engaged in a duel or else they could not take office.  So they passed a law that gave a person a civil remedy if they walked away from insulting words that would tend to provoke violence.

I had words with opposing counsel in a deposition of my client.  His client had stolen some personal and and irrelevant documents belonging to my client.  The attorney showed them to my client for the purpose of embarrassing him. I accused his client of stealing the documents (he clearly did).  The old attorney on the other side served me with his lawsuit three days before the trial in that case seeking $1,000,000 in damages stating that I insulted him and that my words tended to provoke violence.  Then the bastard shows up the morning of trial in the underlying case and says his client has declared bankruptcy.  That case gets stayed.  Meanwhile I filed a motion to dismiss (in Virginia called a demurrer) to his anti-dueling statute claim.  Judge tossed it at the first hearing.  

I got the last laugh as I got the bankruptcy court in an adversary proceeding to rule his client had no claim.  The attorney died while the case was going on.  His client lost everything.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Back story on the anti-dueling statute here.  http://www.virginiadefamationlawyer.com/2012/08/virginias-insulting-words-statute.html

The law stems from 1810 where dueling had very serious consequences.  For instance, members of the General Assembly had to take an oath that they had never engaged in a duel or else they could not take office.  So they passed a law that gave a person a civil remedy if they walked away from insulting words that would tend to provoke violence.

I had words with opposing counsel in a deposition of my client.  His client had stolen some personal and and irrelevant documents belonging to my client.  The attorney showed them to my client for the purpose of embarrassing him. I accused his client of stealing the documents (he clearly did).  The old attorney on the other side served me with his lawsuit three days before the trial in that case seeking $1,000,000 in damages stating that I insulted him and that my words tended to provoke violence.  Then the bastard shows up the morning of trial in the underlying case and says his client has declared bankruptcy.  That case gets stayed.  Meanwhile I filed a motion to dismiss (in Virginia called a demurrer) to his anti-dueling statute claim.  Judge tossed it at the first hearing.  

I got the last laugh as I got the bankruptcy court in an adversary proceeding to rule his client had no claim.  The attorney died while the case was going on.  His client lost everything.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So no walking 15 paces with 2 guns?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been served three times and each time, it just happened to coincide with me not being easy to find.

No particular reason.  Not mad at process server.  Still, fuck 'em.  Call me and ask for a waiver of service and I'll meet you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dueling eh?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been served three times and each time, it just happened to coincide with me not being easy to find.

No particular reason.  Not mad at process server.  Still, fuck 'em.  Call me and ask for a waiver of service and I'll meet you.
View Quote

And then you moved to Ireland to live at the end of the rainbow and eat lucky charms?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I did it once. Twas easy that time but doubt it's a good full time gig. Dude didn't see it coming.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who says they got your phone number issued to them with the docket?

Do you really think that everyone is going to be cooperative?

Often you don't want to tell them that the gig is up or your job just got a lot harder. Worst case scenario you end up ambushed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No one would hire by the hour here    Pay sucks many of them just lie and never serve the papers

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did it for more than 20 years as a side line to my PI business.  I charged by the hour plus mileage.
No one would hire by the hour here    Pay sucks many of them just lie and never serve the papers

Couldn't the process server/company get in trouble for that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds awesome. I love a happy ending.

I use process servers, they charge anywhere from $15 to $75 depending on the job. I don't think they make a ton of money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had one "not serve" the papers. I did have one serve a subpoena on an adverse witness on a Sunday, which is illegal in VA. The other attorney (who is old and cranky and obnoxious to begin with) had a field day with that one. The father of the process server is another old fart attorney, so I had him call my opposing counsel to apologize for the son's actions in serving on a Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They get put in jail for it here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Anyone here do it?

View Quote

working at McDonalds gets ya more money and respect,and less firearms pointed at ya....

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Couple of big collections firms got in trouble with the NY Attorney General over sewer serving years ago. But it's not like these turds ever get thrown in jail or anything

View Quote

They haven't run into the right class action consumer lawyer, yet. Wait until they get sued under the FDCPA or something like that, with monster damages and fee-shifting provisions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I did it a couple of times for my wife when she needed to serve someone divorce papers.

I always did it at the persons place of work as they would be less likely to cause a scene or get violent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I've served some papers.   My mom and stepdad run a PI and investigation firm and process service is just part of it.  It's actually the most common work for the company.
They serve papers for many of the law firms in the county.  We specialize in personal and difficult service.  I only do it if they're too busy and I don't have anything else going on.  Many papers can simply be posted but I've never not gotten someone personally on the first try.  For a while they had an office right across the street from the courthouse and next to some law offices.   We use our PI abilities and avoid wasting time making an attempt when it won't be likely to find them.  

Last month my mom and stepdad had a case that netted them a few thousand $$ over a weekend.  They billed the client for time and expenses the same as for an investigation.  The guy got served.  

My mom's served papers on bunch of NFL players too.  

One time my stepdad was doing it, the person made an attempt to run him over.  He was armed but didn't shoot.  Had the cops come and they said he would've been within his rights to shoot the guy.    All he had to was step out of the way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#39]
You have to be able to do it cheaper than the local SO and make money at that rate .

look up your areas civil process rates
do the math
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:02:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine was a process server for maybe ten years, had a little business and did it for large law firms, locally and for state/national firms. He said all the time that other process servers he talked to admitted they did not really serve the papers, primarily in collections and foreclosure cases. One guy flat out told him he just lied and said he made the requisite number of attempts and then nailed and mailed while all he really did was throw the papers out.  

I've typed this story out too many times.I went to his house one afternoon, he called me to help him move a desk or use my truck or something. I got there and in the office in his house there was a stack of papers about knee high. I recognized the plaintiff firm, they are notorious scumbags. Years before they had taken a default against a client of mine who had served a pro se answer-whoops he had sent it return receipt.

I asked what all the papers were, and he basically said they had refused to pay some of his bills for service and said in a round about way that he charged too much and that the other process servers just lied, I think their exact words were "I only need an affidavit from you, understand me? We don't have this problem with other people we use" he told them to fuck off and hung up. I saw some of the papers were going to become "stale" (more than 120- days from filing of the summons and you have to buy a new index number). I asked if they had asked for their papers back and he laughed and said no, the paralegal he was talking did not have the balls, they were probably copies anyway.

I open a judgment probably once or twice a year for clients who were never sued. Usually for big collections firms. They never contest the motions to reopen and they are always "suspicious", not just someone claiming not to be served, but like some guy from Long Island claiming he was six hours away in upstate New York on 5 different dates, plus things like the address is wrong-often they use an address they have on file where the person obviously no longer lives, the description does not match anyone in the house etc.

I was sewer served years ago, I think I had a lien on a house that was being foreclosed. I forgot how I found out about the foreclosure but I pulled the affidavit. The funny thing is the guy's description of me was spot on and he was from outside the area. I almost thought maybe I had been handed the papers and forgot, until I checked the address, it was an office I had rented years ago and had not been there in at least five years. I then checked my calendar and billing vouchers and I was in trial at the time he served me.

Couple of big collections firms got in trouble with the NY Attorney General over sewer serving years ago. But it's not like these turds ever get thrown in jail or anything

View Quote

Lots of safeguards against that with technology and all.

I once read something about "NYS DCA COMPLIANT Proposed Rules for 6/13/11 Hearing."  No idea what that means.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#42]
i have served a few people, a local attorney is a friend. normally it costs him a 30 rack, per subpoena.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Did it once to help a friend of a friend. Husband was getting served and was a wife beating drunk POS that was known to be armed, wife had no money to pay the Sheriffs office so a mutual friend asked me to do it. Brought a firefighter buddy along, we were both armed. I'm a big dude, and I caught him just as he got home from work so he was sober, no problems.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Back story?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1709106_Process_Servers.html&page=1#i51585197
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top