Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:29:02 PM EDT
I've been using my Grandma's old, warped, broken handled, mismatched, etc pots and pans for years now.
Same as the shitty knives.
I cook a little, mainly in cast iron skillets, but I think I need to get me a good set of pots and pans and knives.
What out there is a quality set?
Also, as for a chilli pot, what would be better, enameled cast iron or a thick stainless?
I love cast iron, but I could see an enamled pot getting chipped up in the sink in no time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Pots & pans = All Clad
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Knives: henckels, wusthof, and shun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Knives = Shun
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've been using my Grandma's old, warped, broken handled, mismatched, etc pots and pans for years now.

Same as the shitty knives.

I cook a little, mainly in cast iron skillets, but I think I need to get me a good set of pots and pans and knives.

What out there is a quality set?

Also, as for a chilli pot, what would be better, enameled cast iron or a thick stainless?

I love cast iron, but I could see an enamled pot getting chipped up in the sink in no time.
View Quote

Enameled pots are very durable, they wont chip in the sink.

I have a made in the USA set of http://www.calphalon.com   that are nice.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
For the knives, I've been very impressed with Wusthof Silverpoint II for the price.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pots & pans = All Clad
View Quote

Had mine for 5 years.

Don't even use non-stick anymore.  Stainless is non-stick if you know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Another ARFcommer recommended these Duxtop Stainless Steel Pans and I really like them, its a great deal.

Also from ARF recommendations, I bought this setTojiro 3pc Set Knives and they are fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#9]
tag.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
How hard you want to cry?

For full on weeping buy Mauviel Coppers and Wusthofs classics (3 rivet, full tang, beefy bolsters, Chrome vanadium steel).
If you go this route you WILL Weep.....
But be set for 3 lifetimes....

ETA: Chemistry of knife steel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]
just buy commercial grade stuff. it doesnt need to be expensive and have a european name to be rugged and long lasting
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
For chili cast iron is best.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Cast iron. Learn how to use and care for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Ive been using Revere Ware stainless pots and pans for over 20 years.  They have held up well.  Got an enamel dutch oven for Xmas that i have not used yet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
i've had a set of grman-made Henckels for ove 20 years.
a couple are getting rough from Mama putting thwm in the dishwasher, but they still work just fine.

Henckels now has cheaper chinese sets and more expensive German sets, i think.
Wusthof is also good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yah, for cast iron just pick up some lodge items from wally world.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For chili cast iron is best.
View Quote

And........ We're off!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
just buy commercial grade stuff. it doesnt need to be expensive and have a european name to be rugged and long lasting
View Quote

not quite as simple in this case.  "commercial grade", that is, stuff that restaurants actually use, is very often counted as consumable.  when you're buying 120 sautee pans to stock a professional kitchen, you're not buying le creuset.  and have you ever seen the knives that restaurants buy?  there's a reason that chefs are so anal about bringing their own.

long story short, "rugged and long lasting" refers to the bar staff, not the cookware.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Pots and pans: All Clad
Soup, chili etc...: LeCruset
Knives: Shun, Wustoff
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#20]
You don't need to go crazy on knives.

This $35 chef knife and a couple of others of the same brand will serve you well.  They are first rate knives and an excellent value.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-8-Inch-47520-5-2063-20/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421694460&sr=8-2&keywords=victorinox+knife
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have a SurLa Table near you, they have some nice European-made cook ware that isn't the usual "made in China" variety.

Be prepared to really cry, though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Cookware:  Lodge and Griswold.  A couple different sized skillets, a dutch oven or two, and an interchangeable lid will take care of most cooking needs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.  

My cast iron is more non stick then teflon and will last 7 lifetimes with proper care.  

For pots I picket up some cuisinart pots that were all clad level build and quality for 75% off at a Kitchen Kaboodle sale years ago.  This year I got a set of knives at 75% off on the day before christmas.  

There is just no point to having a pan thats not cast iron.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I like Calphalon more than All-Clad.  Quality stainless is the way to go.  Ceramic is nice, but I like stainless cookware and ceramic bakeware.  (And every man should have at least one good cast iron skillet and one dutch oven.  Get the old style that are NOT pre-seasoned.)

Shun knives are very sharp, but their shallow-angle edge profile makes them ill-suited to heavy work, and more difficult to sharpen properly.

Wusthof, Henckels are all GTG for a little heavier work.  I have three Shun knives, but most of my other ones are Wusthof.  (I confess that I have a Cutco serrated bread knife that I really like.  It's the only Cutco I bought that's worth a darn, IMHO.  The rest have been given away.)

My favorite chef's knife is a cheap high-carbon blade.  But I lucked into it.  Most cheap knives are cheap for a reason.

And don't forget quality kitchen shears.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I really enjoy my Benchmade kitchen knife set.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#26]
FPNI - we got all-clad stainless D5 pots and pans as a wedding gift, and they have been a-mazing.  even more so now that i have figured them out, i can even cook eggs in them without sticking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is one of those typical GD threads where someone is asking a question like "Hey, I need a watch to replace my old casio, what do you recomend", and the typical responses come to be "Get this Rolex GMT-MASTER II!" and "You want at least a Breitling NAVITIMER 01"
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This is one of those typical GD threads where someone is asking a question like "Hey, I need a watch to replace my old casio, what do you recomend", and the typical responses come to be "Get this Rolex GMT-MASTER II!" and "You want at least a Breitling NAVITIMER 01"
View Quote
Well he did say buy once cry once.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-read the title.

Oh, and if we're talking watches; I'll have a Panerai thank you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Re-read the title.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-read the title.

I did re-read the title.   I still see a disconnect between reality and what's being posted here.

Of course he did say buy once cry once, hope he's ready for $434 skillet pans and $914 Dutch pots.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I did re-read the title.   I still see a disconnect between reality and what's being posted here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-read the title.

You do know what "buy once, cry once" means?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a decent intro set of Henkles knives with wood block aren't that expensive.  a lot cheaper than replacing cheap sets every couple years when they go to shit or rust.  as important as the knife you buy is the care.  never in the dishwasher, and i've now started giving mine a couple swipes on the sharpener before use to keep them cutting nicely.  

le creuset was one of the things my wife just *had* to have.  its nice but its not as good as real-deal cast iron and not really better than the all clad stainless.  that said, you can usually pick them up cheap at estate sales or thrift shops/pawn shops if you look around.  also all-clad has a couple of different levels of their pans, for different budgets.  we have one of the tri-clad pans we picked up at tj max and i honestly don't notice that much difference between it and the D5 pans.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Re-read the title.

Recommending a Shun knife is also not equivalent to recommending a rolex.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my Shun knives.

Enameled cast iron is a beautiful thing. Just take care of it like you give a shit and you won't have any problems.

For everyday pots & pans, there's a lot of personal preference involved. I'm using teflon coated aluminum and just replace them every 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Of course he did say buy once cry once, hope he's ready for $434 skillet pans and $914 Dutch pots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-read the title.

that's pretty much the definition of BOCO: spending a shitload of money on top quality items that will last a lifetime.  personally, i think something like all clad is completely unnecessary, but those are the kinds of recommendations the OP is asking for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

that's pretty much the definition of BOCO: spending a shitload of money on top quality items that will last a lifetime.  personally, i think something like all clad is completely unnecessary, but those are the kinds of recommendations the OP is asking for.
View Quote

It's nice to live near the factory.  Twice a year they have "factory seconds" sales.  I paid full retail for my first piece, and bought everything else at min 60% off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's nice to live near the factory.  Twice a year they have "factory seconds" sales.  I paid full retail for my first piece, and bought everything else at min 60% off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would change my outlook!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Skip the 'Suzy Homemaker' bullshit and buy yourself commercial restaurant gear. It's cheaper, better equipment...and bullet-proof.

If you have a local restaurant supply house, go check them out. If not, check these folks out:

http://www.basequipment.com/

You can thank me later..

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
not quite as simple in this case.  "commercial grade", that is, stuff that restaurants actually use, is very often counted as consumable.  when you're buying 120 sautee pans to stock a professional kitchen, you're not buying le creuset.  and have you ever seen the knives that restaurants buy?  there's a reason that chefs are so anal about bringing their own.

long story short, "rugged and long lasting" refers to the bar staff, not the cookware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong. Any NSF pans from a kitchen supply store will last for years of daily abuse. The same with the knives.

OP, visit a restaurant supply store.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#40]
All-Clad and Wustof.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Had mine for 5 years.
Don't even use non-stick anymore.  Stainless is non-stick if you know what you're doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pots & pans = All Clad

Had mine for 5 years.

The all-clad  stainless over aluminum bottom are pretty good. I have a knock-off version that performs almost as well at heat distribution, and I am pretty impressed with them. Cleaning is easy, just deglaze and occasionally use barkeep's friend cleaner if needed.

For knives, the victorinox/forschner NSF with black handle ones are pretty good, get a diamond steel to keep them touched up, and you are set. I also have 1 high-end henkle santoku, and prefer the 8/10inch victorinox chef knife for meat and large vegetables.

Regardless, get a diamond steel, it will last forever and keep your knives in great condition.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Global 8" chef knife.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-read the title.

Guess I should of added "affoardable to the average working man" to the post.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I see everyone is recommending chef style knives, but what about steak/eating knives?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I see everyone is recommending chef style knives, but what about steak/eating knives?
View Quote
I would get something cheaper and one of those thingys that quickly gives a knife an "okay" edge.  Cutting on glazed ceramics is hell on knives.

Maybe Chicago Cutlery or whatever is closest to WalMart's top end knife.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Cutlery is one of those areas where the costs have come down and the quality increased dramatically in the past 20 years or so. Even a cheap stamped metal blade or ceramic is going to be more than adequate for home use. High performance has become common place. That said, I like the look and feel of forged blades with thicker handles. The Henckels original Four Star is modern enough without looking old fashioned. I'll probably still be happy with them five years from now. I like their steak knives too. Non-serrated and kept sharp, no one would be disappointed.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#47]
All-Clad for pots and pans, and for a pot? Le Creuset enameled.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Do you have a TJ Maxx?  I got a lot of my stuff when I wasn't making jack squat by going to TJ Maxx and buying blems.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Man people love spending redicilous amounts of money here. Go with Calphalon with pots and pans. They just made a dishwasher safe version of their contemporary line which is awesome. Buy a cast iron because everyone needs one and get a few Wusthof or Henckels knives.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top